Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I’ve seen a lot of montages of plays circulating around the Twittersphere that are supposed comparables for the Rielly play and the most recent Perron play is almost always missing.

I don’t understand this level of wilful ignorance.

Even the language used in the explanations for both is virtually identical.
"In short, this is not a hockey play, this is an intentional forceful strike to an opponents head using the stick as a weapon to exact retribution on an opponent well after a goal has been scored. To summarize, this is cross checking, Rielly has been neither fined nor suspended previously in his 769 game NHL career. The department of player safety has suspended Morgan Rielly for 5 games"

"What elevates this play to supplemental discipline is the fact that is done after the game is over and for no legitimate hockey purpose. This is not a hockey play. This is a forceful high crosscheck delivered to an opponent after the game has ended. To summarize, this is cross checking, Chiasson has been neither fined nor suspended previously in his 536 game NHL career. The department of player safety has suspended Alex Chiasson for 1 game."

Kinda like these two?

Look I'm all for them being harsher on head contact plays as long as they are consistent. I just find it hilarious how similar the wording is yet one is 5x more than the other :laugh: (the league finally becoming more harsh on these type of plays is likely the reason)

Last edited:

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
Does this mean Perron was suspended 6 games because his was more than a love tap.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"In short, this is not a hockey play, this is an intentional forceful strike to an opponents head using the stick as a weapon to exact retribution on an opponent well after a goal has been scored. To summarize, this is cross checking, Rielly has been neither fined nor suspended previously in his 769 game NHL career. The department of player safety has suspended Morgan Rielly for 5 games"

Hmmm, this wording sounds familier.

"What elevates this play to supplemental discipline is the fact that is done after the game is over and for no legitimate hockey purpose. This is not a hockey play. This is a forceful high crosscheck delivered to an opponent after the game has ended. To summarize, this is cross checking, Chiasson has been neither fined nor suspended previously in his 536 game NHL career. The department of player safety has suspended Alex Chiasson for 1 game."

Kinda like these two?

Look I'm all for them being harsher on head contact plays as long as they are consistent. I just find it hilarious how similar the wording is yet one is 5x more than the other :laugh: (the league finally becoming more harsh on these type of plays is likely the reason)

This is the Perron one:

“This is not a hockey play, this is an intentional strike with a stick made with the purpose of exacting retribution on an opponent."

I suspect it’s the retributive quality of it that makes them more similar.

Or as you say, they are trying to crack down.

But the Rielly punishment isn’t setting a new precedent as I’ve seen echoed many times lately.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is the Perron one:

“This is not a hockey play, this is an intentional strike with a stick made with the purpose of exacting retribution on an opponent."

I suspect it’s the retributive quality of it that makes them more similar.
If memory serves, both talk about distance travelled in order to seek retribution in the lead up too.

Other factors at play, "forceful" while used in both and accurate, does not convey the degree of forcefully, which likely comes into play, I'd wager they felt Reilly's and Perron's to be more forceful than Chiasson's.

A mustang is a fast car, but so is a Buggati,

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
For what's it worth, I'm really torn on the whole situation. My thought processing is the following:

i) I hate the Leafs yet I've secretely always had a soft spot for Morgan Rielly
ii) I dislike unnecessary gloating especially when it brings no contribution to the game yet brings a level of risk towards winning. If I'm Greig's teammate, I'd be upset that he took a slapshot. What if his twig snaps and he cant get the shot off and puck goes the other way. I'd make sure he understands not to make it a habit.
iii) I dislike gratuitious violence and any attempt to injure specifically when they aren't hockey plays
iv) I hate opponents not showing grace in victory and I do not mind if the message is reinforced.

Can someone tell me which side I need to take because I'm very confused?

If I'm on the ice and I wear a Sens jersey, I have no choice but to jump Rielly but how do I really feel inside?

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
For what's it worth, I'm really torn on the whole situation. My thought processing is the following:

i) I hate the Leafs yet I've always had a soft spot for Morgan Rielly
ii) I dislike unnecessary gloating especially when it brings no contribution to the game yet brings a level of risk. If I'm Greig's teammate, I'd be upset that he took a slapshot. What if his twig snaps and he cant get the shot off and puck goes the other way.
iii) I dislike gratuitious violence and any attempt to injure that aren't hockey plays
iv) I hate opponents not showing grace in victory and I do not mind if the message is reinforced.

I’m sure all of us to a man believes all of this.

We just like to take “our” team’s side to feel a sense of belonging and to have a bit of fun ragging on each other. :laugh:

Reactions: Enniskillen

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

ii) I dislike unnecessary gloating especially when it brings no contribution to the game yet brings a level of risk towards winning. If I'm Greig's teammate, I'd be upset that he took a slapshot. What if his twig snaps and he cant get the shot off and puck goes the other way. I'd make sure he understands not to make it a habit.
iii) I dislike gratuitious violence and any attempt to injure specifically when they aren't hockey plays

If I'm on the ice and I wear a Sens jersey, I have no choice but to jump Rielly but how do I really feel inside?
Shouldn't be that hard, the EN slapshot only has the potential to hurt the Leafs pride a tiny bit. A high cross check could hurt a player's career.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The last time someone appealed this season, the appeal apparently got ignored. Was it Perron? I expect the same thing to happen to this appeal.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

ii) the slapshot was for all of the Leaf fans in attendance, most of the building was filled with them. There was 5 seconds left, there no chance of it going the other way for a goal.
iv) this is a Battle of Ontario thing and likely doesn't happen against any other team. No other fanbase invades our building like Leaf fans.

Reactions: LiseL

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I explained to you how necessary and sufficient conditions worked twice. If you still didn't understand it, you could have just asked for a more in depth explanation.
I thought the disconnect was with your statement about facts. Facts are facts. They are never opinion. The Morgan Rielly incident is still in flux. We still cannot state facts. You can have an opinion: "I feel like Rielly's appeal won't change the 5 game suspension". Fine. But to state things as facts is another animal. I asked the mods to change the thread title "6 games plus" because it was never really known. At the time it was not a fact.

We can't just call Alec Baldwin "Convicted Murderer Alec Baldwin". Now I understand that there are criminal investigations and law suits happening, but the facts will be sorted over time. You can have your opinion about Alec Baldwin, but you can't state things as facts.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I thought the disconnect was with your statement about facts. Facts are facts. They are never opinion. The Morgan Rielly incident is still in flux. We still cannot state facts. You can have an opinion: "I feel like Rielly's appeal won't change the 5 game suspension". Fine. But to state things as facts is another animal. I asked the mods to change the thread title "6 games plus" because it was never really known. At the time it was not a fact.

We can't just call Alec Baldwin "Convicted Murderer Alec Baldwin". Now I understand that there are criminal investigations and law suits happening, but the facts will be sorted over time. You can have your opinion about Alec Baldwin, but you can't state things as facts.
What the f*** are you talking about?

In person hearing being offered is a necessary condition for a 6+ game suspension. Rielly was offered an in person hearing. Thus, a 6+ game suspension was possible.

Them's the facts.

Reactions: BHD

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
ii) the slapshot was for all of the Leaf fans in attendance, most of the building was filled with them. There was 5 seconds left, there no chance of it going the other way for a goal.
iv) this is a Battle of Ontario thing and likely doesn't happen against any other team. No other fanbase invades our building like Leaf fans.

Why are you guys so mad about this, do you not enjoy getting to see what a sold out game feels like a few times a year?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What the f*** are you talking about?

In person hearing being offered is a necessary condition for a 6+ game suspension. Rielly was offered an in person hearing. Thus, a 6+ game suspension was possible.

Them's the facts.

So Rielly got a 6 game suspension?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Shouldn't be that hard, the EN slapshot only has the potential to hurt the Leafs pride a tiny bit. A high cross check could hurt a player's career.
1707937337785.png

Its honestly crazy this was your take for the perron suspension, yet your Rielly takes are completely the opposite lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad