Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
5 games is fine and it probably could/should have been more if the DoPS wasn't an inconsistent joke

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Can't decide what's weaker, the bait in this thread or the Leafs effort to prevent Greig from absolutely clowning them.

Reactions: 5minutemajor

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah like I said he was on the ground until he saw the coast was clear. Dude was fine. Its actually more embarassing for him laying on the ice like he was shot when in reality he was perfectly fine. He didnt want to answer any bells

Probably just playing it safe and making sure he wasn’t paralyzed. I think that’s a reasonable response.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I said 3-5 and was attacked by posters who thought he should go to jail LOL

Reality would like to welcome those posters.

Reactions: Incognito

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I wish, the NHL had consistency. If this is getting 5 I sure as hope similar plays get 5.

Either way, he deserves a suspension. But I just wish there was consistency especially since some players get less with similar plays.
One can hope.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Figured 3-5 so it's on the high end of what I'd consider fair. I can understand going over and reacting in some way to what Greig did, but the cross check to the head was just a really dumb choice by Reilly. A severe overreaction that has now cost his team, and I doubt it deters Greig from continuing to play his greasy style.

I'm trying to put myself in Leafs fans shoes and see it from both sides, but I just truly don't see the same level of disrespect in hammering home an empty netter. I get that there's some "FU" in it, enough to skate up and face wash him or maybe try to engage in a fight. Flying over to cross checking him in the head was just doing way too much. He didn't take a clapper off the back of your goalies knees turning a TV timeout.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I hope sen fans enjoyed the highlight of their season. Its nothing but down hill from here.

Wouldn't it be an amazing story for the Ottawa Senators to make the playoffs and face the LEafs in first round? All because their coach made them watch re-runs of all the Leafs players, media, and staff say the the Senators are a crap team.

If I am Jacques Martin, I am feeding that to the Sens players for lunch. 16 points behind the leafs with 2 games in hand.... totally appropriate.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I said 3-5 and was attacked by posters who thought he should go to jail LOL

Reality would like to welcome those posters.

Well, it should've been 21 games like Hunter got in 1986 + another 10 games because Greig could've injured himself after diving like a swan. You didn't know?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Imo 5 is consistent with the other suspensions we've seen lately. I think it was comparable to the Perron/Zub one but not as bad.

I think hits to the head - especially ones that happen outside of play - should be punished more severely across the league in general, but if that is where they set the standard then 5 games is appropriate.

Will probably take a long term head injury to a star or someone's career being ended for the NHL to change its stance from 4-6 games for this stuff to 40+.

"... In short, this is not a hockey play. This is an intentional forceful strike to an opponent's head, using a stick as a weapon to exact retribution well after a goal has been scored."

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wouldn't it be an amazing story for the Ottawa Senators to make the playoffs and face the LEafs in first round? All because their coach made them watch re-runs of all the Leafs players, media, and staff say the the Senators are a crap team.

If I am Jacques Martin, I am feeding that to the Sens players for lunch. 16 points behind the leafs with 2 games in hand.... Go Sens Go!

Yeah, no.

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
So it's splitting hairs but why did Perron get 6 and Reilly get 5?
I think it's a step in the right direction to be that close but essentially a cross check with momentum towards a "unsuspecting" player or if you want to say after the play was dead. Not that I have faith they will be consistent in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad