Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
So its Ridleys fault for not defending himself long after the whistle had blown and the play was dead from a Flagrant act to inflict harm by Morgan who clearly has Anger Control issues which may be part of a larger Psychiatric or Mental Health concern...?

DOPS should have included a mandatory Psychiatric evaluation as part of the punishment.

Based on the comments from some of the Leafs players, it seems they and the head coach Keefe also need to be evaluated by a Psychiatric professional as well.
The psycho you speak about, has 700 games in the NHL, without any suspensions or even a fine. Your crazy ! the player who did not defend himself at all, from a taunting move ? Come on, stop sensationalizing it, and go back to handing out books in the library.

Reactions: Mathews28

Strangle

May 4, 2009
How is Perron’s 6 games not precedent?

Toronto should be thankful.

How is chaisson’s not precedent? How is Edmundson not precedent?

Why isn’t chara’s precedent?

You know what precedent means? It doesn’t mean you make up a new one every time

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Should have been 6 games. But the entire weight of Canadian Sports Media and many many tears was able to get this down to 5 games. Congrats Toronto, you got the favored treatment you’ve always wanted.
Bullsh*t conspiracy/political theory.

one of the least penalized guys who’s never been suspended, reacted to a bush league play and went overboard or had his high hit go bad. Kid got up after the coast was clear, no injury. 5 games is not chump change.

But yeah let’s pretend that there is some egregious difference…6 vs 5 games…and claim it was all due to Canadien sports media. Give us a break.

Fair suspension, maybe a tad harsh even, message sent to Rielly, leafs without him for a good stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finger Licking Good

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
You can receive a major penalty for cross checking. Looking back at it I think that’s what Rielly got. He didn’t get 2 minutes.
But the guy took a slapshot on an empty net... He needed to get crosschecked

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How is chaisson’s not precedent? How is Edmundson not precedent?

Why isn’t chara’s precedent?

You know what precedent means? It doesn’t mean you make up a new one every time

The most recent one is obviously the most applicable.

They used to tar and feather people too but you don't see people citing that as a precedent when someone commits a crime.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Thoughts and prayers are with the Greig family tonight. I hope he recovers, will show a lot of character for him to ever get back on the ice after that

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
A number of posters in this thread are just embarrassing themselves saying stupid shit like "Rielly should have gotten a 10 game suspension". Newsflash: he has zero history of suspensions or fines prior to this incident. 10 game suspensions are reserved pretty much exclusively for serial offenders who commit egregious infractions, and even then, bans of that length are still uncommon. Even Brad Marchand, who is the most suspended player in NHL history, has never received a 10 game suspension (his longest is 6).

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
So it's splitting hairs but why did Perron get 6 and Reilly get 5?
Im guessing its a lot to do with media perception etc and who the player is. Perron isnt as important to his team or the leagues botton line as Morgan Rielly is. If he got the same suspension (which wouldve been 7 since Perron missed the vast majority of the game he was suspended in), it would be punishing the Leafs pretty severely.

When star players or bigger name guys do stuff like this they rarely get the full suspension. Matthews crosschecked someone in the head and didnt even get a major penalty or game misconduct for it. Only got a 2 game suspension after. If McDavid did what Perron did I dont even know if he gets suspended, and if he did itd be 2-3 games I'd bet. I wouldnt say Rielly is a star, hes probably not even a top 10 defenseman in the league but hes a big name in the sports biggest market and that factors in.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The most recent one is obviously the most applicable.

They used to tar and feather people too but you don't see people citing that as a precedent when someone commits a crime.

No, that’s not what precedent means. Precedent doesn’t mean ‘the most recent one’

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I won’t argue that the DOPS doesn’t care enough about safety. But in terms of potential for injury the Morgan cross check does have higher potential than many of these false equivalence cross checks posted to defend Reilly. The DOPS surprisingly got this one right for a change. Does that mean they’ll be consistent going forward? No. Does that that mean they haven’t messed up in the past? No. But the right call was made here or close to it.
No it doesn’t. There is no world in which a direct two hand cross check to the face with higher force has less potential. None. No need to lie. The league always rules based on perception. Nothing they said explained previous zeros.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
No it doesn’t. There is no world in which a direct two hand cross check to the face with higher force has less potential. None. No need to lie. The league always rules based on perception.

It's called "reaching", but consider the source.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You’re usually super reasonable so I’ll take your bait. Should cross checks to the head just go unpunished now? Even if you’re from the “rode up the shoulder” camp he’s still in charge of this stick and that would still be a reckless play worth some games

I think everyone would be in line if cross checks to the face all got the same punishment.

I’m not too young to remember the Toronto Montreal series

Precedent only applies to similar facts.

Perron is the most similar case and unsurprisingly the punishment is similar.

Maybe for anyone with the memory of a goldfish. I’m old enough to remember similar facts that got 1 game, or not even a penalty

If you are looking for previous examples which is more similar than Perron’s and why?

I just watched a clip of the vesey cross check to the face that got 1 game

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I think everyone would be in line if cross checks to the face all got the same punishment.

I’m not too young to remember the Toronto Montreal series

Maybe for anyone with the memory of a goldfish. I’m old enough to remember similar facts that got 1 game, or not even a penalty
Can punishments never evolve over time? You can check the Perron thread for my take on that too. Exact same in my opinion. Thought Gallagher was an idiot and think habs players from that series we’re idiots.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Sure, and I remember Gordie Howe would carve a guy up pretty good in the face and get away with it.

What is your point?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Can punishments never evolve over time? You can check the Perron thread for my take on that too. Exact same in my opinion. Thought Gallagher was an idiot and think habs players from that series we’re idiots.

Sure, but we know it won’t. This is the NHL, no one knows what’s going on, or what they’ll do tomorrow.

I guess if it happens in front of the Habs net it’s not even a penalty. But if it happens after a goal, it’s 5 games.

Well that’s not even right, Matthews got 2 games for a cross check in front of the net. Maybe it was in front of the wrong net?

I don’t know how the NHL keeps this shit straight lol

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Sure, but we know it won’t. This is the NHL, no one knows what’s going on, or what they’ll do tomorrow.

I guess if it happens in front of the Habs net it’s not even a penalty. But if it happens after a goal, it’s 5 games.

Well that’s not even right, Matthews got 2 games for a cross check in front of the net. Maybe it was in front of the wrong net?

I don’t know how the NHL keeps this shit straight lol

Parros spins a wheel in his office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad