Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
It was the same action. The consequences were less severe for the victim due to Greig seeing it coming where Turgeon did not. Lucky for Greig. Though, lucky for Rielly too, I suppose, since the DoPS punishes by result and not action, mostly.

Keep making excuses.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I'm flyers fan so i can relate, but all you Leafs fans getting on Sens fans for there teams accomplishments and lack of success need to simmer down. Last time they made the finals was when they won.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
What would they appeal it over though? It will just be a rehash of Persons's appeal which was denied
They’ve appealed the suspension length as being excessive. Just like they did, and won, when Spezza was dealt 6 and it went down to 4

But maybe they can’t because it was 5 that was dealt out. I’m gonna look for it after the leafs crap the bed in the 3rd and lose a game where they’ve been dominating one of the hottest teams in the league lol

Oh being a leafs fan is fun

Reactions: Czechboy

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I'm flyers fan so i can relate, but all you Leafs fans getting on Sens fans for there teams accomplishments and lack of success need to simmer down. Last time they made the finals was when they won.

It’s pretty hilarious that sens fans somehow think chirping leaf fans over Stanley cups is a flex or something

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a leaf fan chirp another team for not winning a cup recently enough, but all the other teams on that list have fans that would bring that up to a leaf fan

It’s …. Pathetic

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Wow, if this is between Winnipeg and San Jose it is a passing mention on the sports networks, but it is the Leafs so we need a Royal Commision.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
They can't appeal 5 games. The 6th game grants the right to appeal from an independent arbitrator. Im sure Batman wants this shit out of the game, so hes not gonna listen to an appeal
Ability to appeal is a moot point because Bettman will simply avoid responding to the appeal until the suspension has already been served (like he did with Perron). The player can try and claw back some money but Bettman will likely reject that as well.

It's a pretty nice loophole he built for himself to negate appeals.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They’ve appealed the the suspension length as being excessive. Just like they did, and won when Spezza was dealt 6 and it went down to 4
You need to provide a rationale for why it's excessive, the league will point to Perron as an almost identical comparable that got a game more and stood up against appeal. Perron even sat the majority of the game he was ejected from while Rielly didn't miss a shift, you could argue the ejection in the first period is worse than an extra game since it has a bigger impact with your team playing a man short not to mention the power play

An appeal isn't going anywhere,

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
A number of posters in this thread are just embarrassing themselves saying stupid shit like "Rielly should have gotten a 10 game suspension". Newsflash: he has zero history of suspensions or fines prior to this incident. 10 game suspensions are reserved pretty much exclusively for serial offenders who commit egregious infractions, and even then, bans of that length are still uncommon. Even Brad Marchand, who is the most suspended player in NHL history, has never received a 10 game suspension (his longest is 6).
What an embarassing take. Good to know you like a stupid circus rather than a game of hockey. Thankfully, I won't have to see your reply. :)

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They’ve appealed the suspension length as being excessive. Just like they did, and won, when Spezza was dealt 6 and it went down to 4

But maybe they can’t because it was 5 that was dealt out. I’m gonna look for it after the leafs crap the bed in the 3rd and lose a game where they’ve been dominating one of the hottest teams in the league lol

Oh being a leafs fan is fun
Definitely research it

BUT

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that 5 is Bettman and his decision. So he can listen with that smug look and thank you for your time but he is the final call with no reprecussions.

Part of me thinks that is why it was 5 and not 6.

Reactions: v00d00daddy

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Keep making excuses.
I'm not sure how to respond to this, since I wasn't making any excuses, I was just looking at the videos, posting what I saw, and relaying the results. I thought it was sort of funny that these days everyone talks about the NHL getting softer, and yet these two punishments have such a disparity. I really don't have enough emotional attachment to this to make excuses. A suspension was earned, a suspension was given, and that's fine.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Fair. I won't start arguing about how many games is enough, but the rationale for the suspension is totally fair in my opinion.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
You need to provide a rationale for why it's excessive, the league will point to Perron as an almost identical comparable that got a game more and stood up against appeal. Perron even sat the majority of the game he was ejected from while Rielly didn't miss a shift, you could argue the ejection in the first period is worse than an extra game since it has a bigger impact with your team playing a man short not to mention the power play

An appeal isn't going anywhere,
An appeal isn’t happening because it had to be 6+

But they can appeal just to argue that the decision is excessive.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Definitely research it

BUT

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that 5 is Bettman and his decision. So he can listen with that smug look and thank you for your time but he is the final call with no reprecussions.

Part of me thinks that is why it was 5 and not 6.
Yeah. He knows what he’s doing. Gives 6 and he knew an appeal would be coming and just extend the justified criticism of the DoPS

Instead he can say gtfo lol

Reactions: Czechboy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
An appeal isn’t happening because it had to be 6+

But they can appeal just to argue that the decision is excessive.
They can appeal to the commissioner directly, 6+ allows them to go to an arbiter, but they need to justify their position that it's excessive, just Perron tried, and it will go nowhere because it's in line with the most recent comparable which was about as close as it gets contextually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad