Morgan Rielly: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejaysfan*

Let me throw a dart ...

He'll have to get a heck of a lot better.

He has not been impressive for a NHLer, but has looked pretty good for a kid.

Well yeah...you would expect that since it is his rookie season. Doughty and Keith didn't look like world-beaters in their first NHL season either.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Considering most of Canada's best defencemen at the tourny are under 30 it will be extremely hard. The only guys i see when i look at the roster as not likely 2018 players are Hamhuis and potentially Bouwmeester. Keith will be 34 but i don't see him falling off that fast. Would love for Morgan to make it but its gonna be extremely tough competition for that spot, and the only defencemen on the team who have made it in less than 6 years after there draft year on the 2010 or 2014 teams are Pietriangelo and Doughty(twice).

Bluejaysfan*

I think he can, he certainly has a decent shot at it. The only locks that I can think of are Subban, Doughty, Keith, petrangelo and maybe Weber. That leaves 2 spots for defensemen.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Mo Riles has a ways to go before he is even close to the discussion .. Has the potential, sure but he'd have to rise up pretty quickly

I'd say 2022 games would be more likely than 2018 if anything

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Extremely doubtful. On top of an already established very good group of Canadian defensemen, there are also young very good established defensemen, and some great up and coming D men.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Of which he's not part of, Of course.

:rolleyes:

I never said that. I said there's a lot of competition for limited spots. Rielly is one of my favorite players, I'm sorry for not expecting him to make the Olympics in 4 years.

Bluejaysfan*

Based on what, draft position, or NHL team affiliation?

No...talent, potential, similar career progression to those already on Team Canada like Doughty and Keith, flashes of brilliance in his play. Most pmd like Rielly do not have amazing rookie years, it usually is their 2nd or 3rd years where they really shine. I am of the belief that Rielly will do the same and most others would agree too.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
2010 Canada defensemen:

- Weber
- Keith
- Boyle
- Doughty
- Niedermeyer
- Seabrook
- Pronger

The bolded, 4/7 are not back 4 years later. Granted a couple of them were legends that were getting older, but that still shows you how much changes in 4 years.

Rielly has a good shot if he reaches his ceiling in 4 years.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
2010 Canada defensemen:

- Weber
- Keith
- Boyle
- Doughty
- Niedermeyer
- Seabrook
- Pronger

The bolded, 4/7 are not back 4 years later. Granted a couple of them were legends that were getting older, but that still shows you how much changes in 4 years.

Rielly has a good shot if he reaches his ceiling in 4 years.

The difference is that 3 of the 4 guys you bolded were at least 33 years of age in 2010.

This year, our oldest defenceman is 31 (and hes the guy playing 4 minutes a night).

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I completely agree.

Expecting the next Doughty from anyone is unrealistic, but someone will as there are always players who rise to the top.

I agree.

My point to the original quote was that Ekblad being pimped up as the next Doughty is both a) premature and b) not in line with most projections of the player.

Many people are under the impression Ekblad is some budding franchise dman, when in reality he's being projected by most scouts to top our as a No2/3 dman.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think alot of ppl think Ekblad has top pairing Shea Weber potential, similar to how Jones was viewed as having Pietriangelo potential, but 2018 is a long way away. For all we know Sean Day (if he declares for Canada) could make a Doughty like jump to the Olympics, i'm pretty sure he'd be in his 2nd year in the league by then.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Seabrook......

Players progress and others fall a little....as the Olympics will again be on big ice Rielly if he progresses as he should will be in the picture to represent Canada in 4 years.

High IQ, one of the best skaters in the world.....seems like he has a leg up and the rest is up to steady progress, opportunity and injuries.

My money is on him being there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1