Morgan Rielly: Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
When we're running our cycle Rielly reminds me a lot of Kaberle, excellent at finding the open man but he almost never shoots the puck no matter how wide open his lane is. I think he'll be coming out in full force next season, this kid is awesome.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Im also going to side with Blitz

Ive seen Murray play twice this year and both times he was literally flawless. He doesnt make mistakes. And if he does he learns quickly and more faster than anyone I have seen for his age.

And about his skating, Ill make a comparison.

If Rielly's skating is like Duncan Kieth, then Ryan Murray's skating would be Alex Pietrangelo. Not fast acceleration wise, but extremely mobile, and ruthlessly efficient. Obviously Murray isnt as big as Pietrangelo, but in terms of Team Canada, thats the best comparison I could make.

That was a weird adjective to choose :laugh:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
When we're running our cycle Rielly reminds me a lot of Kaberle, excellent at finding the open man but he almost never shoots the puck no matter how wide open his lane is. I think he'll be coming out in full force next season, this kid is awesome.

Issue for me right now is not that Rielly isnt shooting that much, its that he positions himself in a way that its hard for him to threaten with the slap shot.

Im no expert, but the way Rielly plays, it seems as though the puck is always a bit in front of him as opposed to more by his side. That kind of forces a player to do those loopy wrist shots he always uses.

If there is one thing Franson does well, its that when he recieves the puck he does it in a way that he has the option of passing and shooting (of course he is often standing way to stationary)

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
to his credit, I believe I saw Morgan make a few clapper attempts vs NYR, which we hadn't seen much of anything in that regard beforehand.

His slapper definitely isn't his strong suit, but then again, he's probably never had much use for it, as he's probably been one of the better skaters and players in every age category up till now. Heck, if you're able to change the shot angle with a quick fake or walk the line effortlessly, the need for a slap shot is reduced (especially at lower levels).

I don't think he'll develop the slapshot into a huge weapon, but it'll be in his arsenal in the future as he works on it and gets more comfortable in the league.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
I remember the first year watching Gardiner play and thinking that he needed to develop his shot. Gardiner's shot has definitely improved and I hope Morgan's will do the same.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I put probable - The amount of quality scoring chances he gets for a rookie defenseman is astounding, as he develops and puts everything together he'll start converting, and then look out. His offensive potential is Erik Karlsson high, and I could see him controlling a game in the same way one day, but he's also capable defensively, even has a bit of grit to his game he uses on occasion.

No slapshot, but the kid is more likely to score with a dangle on a breakaway. And for my money, I believe he'll be the best defenseman in his draft year.

9Iron

Nov 25, 2009
I put probable - The amount of quality scoring chances he gets for a rookie defenseman is astounding, as he develops and puts everything together he'll start converting, and then look out. His offensive potential is Erik Karlsson high, and I could see him controlling a game in the same way one day, but he's also capable defensively, even has a bit of grit to his game he uses on occasion.

No slapshot, but the kid is more likely to score with a dangle on a breakaway. And for my money, I believe he'll be the best defenseman in his draft year.

The bolded sums up my thoughts exactly. If he had any finish at all I actually think he could have double the amount of points he has now and be pushing for a Calder. Oh well I will happily take what he has.
He really needs to work on his shot accuracy and selection (high and wide on a 2 on 1 is not cool) which are both quite terrible.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
to his credit, I believe I saw Morgan make a few clapper attempts vs NYR, which we hadn't seen much of anything in that regard beforehand.

His slapper definitely isn't his strong suit, but then again, he's probably never had much use for it, as he's probably been one of the better skaters and players in every age category up till now. Heck, if you're able to change the shot angle with a quick fake or walk the line effortlessly, the need for a slap shot is reduced (especially at lower levels).

I don't think he'll develop the slapshot into a huge weapon, but it'll be in his arsenal in the future as he works on it and gets more comfortable in the league.

Rielly may never develop a boomer of a point shot, but I'm confident with his smarts he'll get shots to the net the way Franson does and rack up points with tips/deflections/rebounds.

Scarbarian*

Bruins fan here, I love this kid. He is going to be an amazing player for you guys.

I am intrigued by his skill-set, effortless skater, plays a very smart and heads up game, high hockey IQ, and honestly, I have been surprised with his defensive play as we'll, I thought he would be very weak defensively but he has surprisingly been very good for a rookie in his own end. I can definitely see him being above average in his own end in a few years.

I may be in the minority among Bruins fans but I would easily take Morgan Rielly over Dougie Hamilton any day. Future stud #1 d-man, you guys are lucky to have him. He is my favorite D from 2012 draft.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

You're right. I think it's more about getting his timing right. I'm sure he'll take more slapshots as he gets more comfortable. Let's not forget his first ever pro goal.

At 2:24

Bruins fan here, I love this kid. He is going to be an amazing player for you guys.

I am intrigued by his skill-set, effortless skater, plays a very smart and heads up game, high hockey IQ, and honestly, I have been surprised with his defensive play as we'll, I thought he would be very weak defensively but he has surprisingly been very good for a rookie in his own end. I can definitely see him being above average in his own end in a few years.

I may be in the minority among Bruins fans but I would easily take Morgan Rielly over Dougie Hamilton any day. Future stud #1 d-man, you guys are lucky to have him. He is my favorite D from 2012 draft.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Really hope Rielly lives up to yours and our expectations. He's got all the tools. Just can't wait to see how good he becomes.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

Thanks!

Tbh when him and dougie were on the wjc team I thought it was stupid not to put them together would have been an unreal pairing and uni woulda won the tourny stupid sport with Ryan murphy

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think a Morgan Rielly Winter Classic jersey just might be in order.

Hes one of the few great things about this season, and Burke's lasting gift to the team

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Terrific player, I agree if you are going to invest in a Leafs jersey, #44 is the right one.

Been the best defenceman for the Leafs in game 74.

Somehow I think this will be a recording soon.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Terrific player, I agree if you are going to invest in a Leafs jersey, #44 is the right one.

Been the best defenceman for the Leafs in game 74.

Somehow I think this will be a recording soon.

I already bought it, but the fans who are looking forward to buy one don`t buy it this season. I think his number will change to 4 if Franson is gonna be buried in Atlantic Ocean.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I already bought it, but the fans who are looking forward to buy one don`t buy it this season. I think his number will change to 4 if Franson is gonna be buried in Atlantic Ocean.

I already bought it. I think he's planning to keep 44 anyway. it'll be awhile before I'm wearing anything leafs related. At least until Carlyle and Franson are off the team

snizzbone*

He's eligible for the AHL playoffs right? Since his WHL season is done as well? If so, that should be fun to watch :).

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
This kid is the lone beacon of light at this point.

As Interactif said, A Rielly sweater is a good investment. I would say though, He'd be wearing #4 next year for me.

Wouldn't worry about that sweater being used next year.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
It's a shame Rielly is so good, he will eventually have to be traded to ensure we don't become a good team.

We have a reputation to maintain.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

That's not a bad thing. You forget Kaby during his hay days was a heck of a D. I loved him. Most people will remember him for his later years. He was so good and so smooth.

I miss Kabby...... I miss Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad