Morgan Rielly: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
You are so wrong when comparing him to Yandle as he is going to be vastly superior in all areas of the ice.

Lets settle down here. Yandle is a top offensive defensemen in the league. I'd be skeptical that Rielly is ever better offensively, especially vastly.

he has been a very solid Defensive D man in his last 30 games

I wouldn't call the defense Rielly is playing right now as anything close to solid. He's comparatively "better" than when he first broke into the league, but he's still terrible.

Now lets get back to his WHL career.....the one that is missing a year of play. His last year in the WHL he was a very dominate D man in all areas of the ice. He was also not challenged Defensively much as he was simply vastly superior in his own zone when he got the puck he simply skated it out.

He was dominate last year, offensively. When he was challenged defensively he was poor. You don't notice it unless you actually watch for it because he was always on defense. He regularly got out muscled, he lost assignments more than he should have, and yes he used his speed to bail himself out of trouble; but he shouldn't have been in most of these situations to begin with.

My problem with Rielly is he plays the same way as he did in the WHL. He still relies way too much on his speed defensively. He makes poor defensive reads more than you'd like to see. He can't seperate man from puck, he chases the puck, and as an early poster pointed out, he's god awful not just at 2 on 1's but in most odd man situations. For a guy with insanely high hockey IQ you would expect less brutal turnovers too.

I truly question just how much you seen Rielly play in the WHL.....I do not believe it was very much at all. He did all the things that you credit Karlsson with....he controlled the pace of the game, his puck support is better right now then Karlsson....so I really do not see that you understand or watched him play much at all. Rielly is Rielly and his skill set is very unique....speed, skill, passing, IQ and strength....with great acceleration. Playing his weak side at 19 years of age....

I've been watching the dub regularly for 4 years.

I credited Karlsson with those because he does it differently than Rielly. That's why I compare him to Yandle. Yandle controls the pace too, you guys are treating a very good offensive defensemen like trash here. Rielly never slows the game down, he rushes it just like Phil does. Rielly's outlet pass is nowhere near Karlsson. You guys do realize this is one of the best offensive defensemen in years? You really want to compare him stylistically to Rielly? Karlsson is much smarter, much more agile, he reads plays better (defensively included) and he has a better shot. I'm not saying that it's impossible for Rielly to get there. But the people who make stylistic comparisons to Karlsson are out of their mind.

Also I love the comparison of hits between Rielly and Yandle. Keith only has 24 hits so I guess he can't be like him either!

Last edited:

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
My problem with Rielly is he plays the same way as he did in the WHL. He still relies way too much on his speed defensively. He makes poor defensive reads more than you'd like to see. He can't seperate man from puck, he chases the puck, and as an early poster pointed out, he's god awful not just at 2 on 1's but in most odd man situations. For a guy with insanely high hockey IQ you would expect less brutal turnovers too.

rielly-4.jpg

Morgan%2BRielly%2BBuffalo%2BSabres%2Bv%2BToronto%2BMaple%2BDlpiAfVTM6Rl.jpg

Morgan%2BRielly%2BToronto%2BMaple%2BLeafs%2Bv%2BSt%2BLouis%2BjN8p4wjzI0el.jpg

FLJC103-24_2014_200225_high.jpg

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lets settle down here. Yandle is a top offensive defensemen in the league. I'd be skeptical that Rielly is ever better offensively, especially vastly.

I wouldn't call the defense Rielly is playing right now as anything close to solid. He's comparatively "better" than when he first broke into the league, but he's still terrible.

He was dominate last year, offensively. When he was challenged defensively he was poor. You don't notice it unless you actually watch for it because he was always on defense. He regularly got out muscled, he lost assignments more than he should have, and yes he used his speed to bail himself out of trouble; but he shouldn't have been in most of these situations to begin with.

I've been watching the dub regularly for 4 years.

I credited Karlsson with those because he does it differently than Rielly. That's why I compare him to Yandle. Yandle controls the pace too, you guys are treating a very good offensive defensemen like trash here. Rielly never slows the game down, he rushes it just like Phil does. Rielly's outlet pass is nowhere near Karlsson. You guys do realize this is one of the best offensive defensemen in years? You really want to compare him stylistically to Rielly? Karlsson is much smarter, much more agile, he reads plays better (defensively included) and he has a better shot. I'm not saying that it's impossible for Rielly to get there. But the people who make stylistic comparisons to Karlsson are out of their mind.

Also I love the comparison of hits between Rielly and Yandle. Keith only has 24 hits so I guess he can't be like him either!

When you said he got out muscled for the puck regularly in the Whl....you confirmed you rarely if at all watched him play in the WHL......just like Big Bob you read something that you believed.

I have made my observations well know on here since he was drafted and even before he was drafted......he is so much better defensively that you state... as for two on ones watch all the leafs play them with Bernier in net.....he wants them played that way!

As for the Yandle comparison.....no....Yandle is not as smart with or without the puck as Rielly is and Rielly will slow the pace of the game down as he mature as he did in the WHL. Rielly is a very unique player....with speed and passing along with a hockey IQ that will allow him to QB the PP and play against the other teams best players. His physical strength sets him apart from others.

snizzbone*

Rielly never used his body in the WHL, but since turning pro he has added that skill to his game. He'll only get better as he learns to use his body / strength more and more.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Drew Doughty and Morgan Rielly are apparently very similar in size according to sports websites. However everytime I see both of them, Doughty seems bigger. Anyone else notice this?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Watch this video and you will see why he is compared to Karlsson.

Kid is already showing he thinks the game well and uses his body....blocks shots as well.

19 year old D man seldom play in the NHL....never mind playing their weak side.

He is going to be a stud....great young man as well!

Bluejaysfan*

Drew Doughty and Morgan Rielly are apparently very similar in size according to sports websites. However everytime I see both of them, Doughty seems bigger. Anyone else notice this?

Doughty has a good ten pounds on Rielly. Not to mention, the facial hair Doughty has makes him look bigger.:laugh:

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Will his over all game ever be as good as Maatta.
I had the privilege of watching Maatta for 2 years in London. He's an exceptional skater and a terrific defender. Taller than Rielly but is slighter, sort of like Gunnarson. IMHO Rielly is much more explosive and has a much higher upside offensively and will likely be as good defensively.

They have similar point production this year, but I believe Maatta has played significantly more minutes.

EDIT: I do think Rielly has to improve his shot and at this point Maatta may be ahead in that regard.

Mimico

Good Ol' Mimico Boy
Aug 25, 2013
Tarana, Ontario
Morgan Rielly: 2018 Winter Olympics

Assuming that NHLers will participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics, What are Rielly's odds of making Team Canada?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Impossible to know. If you were to ask me 4 years ago what Bouwmeester, Vlasic and Hamhuis's chances of being on the 2014 Olympics I probably would have said zero. If you were to ask in 2006 if I thought Phaneuf would have been on the 2010 team, I would said 100% yes.

So much changes in 4 years.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
If NHL players go to the Olympics, I would say strongly improbable.

The whole group of current defensemen would still be young enough that they will still likely be good enough to be taken.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If NHL players go to the Olympics, I would say strongly improbable.

The whole group of current defensemen would still be young enough that they will still likely be good enough to be taken.

Agreed. Lets analyze our current 8 defence, and their age in 2018:
Jay Bouwmeester (34) -- probably not since I think he will be too slow by then, and wasnt even a lock now
Drew Doughty (28) -- shocked if he ISNT there. Prime years for a d-man.
Dan Hamhuis (35) -- will not be there, extra D on this team because of lack of L shooters
Duncan Kieth (34) -- shocked if he ISNT there, late bloomer like a Dan Boyle, if anything game has improved up to now
Alex Pietrangelo (28) -- shocked if he ISNT there. Game will continue to grow
PK Subban (28) -- again shocked if he ISNT there. By this time myth of defensive deficiencies will be gone, he will be more mature
Marc-Eduard Vlasic (30) -- probably not make it. Another borderline pick now, will be just past prime years
Shea Weber (32) -- 50/50 imo. By this time I think PK will be better, depends how much he regresses

So the right side could be pretty stacked again if Doughty, Weber, Petro and Subban all return.
The left side will again be more open with only Kieth IMO returning.

That much is working on Rielly's side (although he mainly plays right side now anyways). Issue is that I dont ever see his defensive game being even as good as a Doughty or Petro. I see him as more of a Subban type (worse shot, not as many turnovers).

Finally you have to look at other guys that will be reaching their primes. I would be shocked if Ryan Murray doesnt take a spot on the left side. Heck I think that if the Olympics were held next year he could pull a Doughty.

Basically Rielly would be competing for a spot with guys like Vlasic, Travis Hamonic, Tyson Barrie, Dougie Hamilton, Brent Seabrook.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Agreed. Lets analyze our current 8 defence, and their age in 2018:
Jay Bouwmeester (34) -- probably not since I think he will be too slow by then, and wasnt even a lock now
Drew Doughty (28) -- shocked if he ISNT there. Prime years for a d-man.
Dan Hamhuis (35) -- will not be there, extra D on this team because of lack of L shooters
Duncan Kieth (34) -- shocked if he ISNT there, late bloomer like a Dan Boyle, if anything game has improved up to now
Alex Pietrangelo (28) -- shocked if he ISNT there. Game will continue to grow
PK Subban (28) -- again shocked if he ISNT there. By this time myth of defensive deficiencies will be gone, he will be more mature
Marc-Eduard Vlasic (30) -- probably not make it. Another borderline pick now, will be just past prime years
Shea Weber (32) -- 50/50 imo. By this time I think PK will be better, depends how much he regresses

So the right side could be pretty stacked again if Doughty, Weber, Petro and Subban all return.
The left side will again be more open with only Kieth IMO returning.

That much is working on Rielly's side (although he mainly plays right side now anyways). Issue is that I dont ever see his defensive game being even as good as a Doughty or Petro. I see him as more of a Subban type (worse shot, not as many turnovers).

Finally you have to look at other guys that will be reaching their primes. I would be shocked if Ryan Murray doesnt take a spot on the left side. Heck I think that if the Olympics were held next year he could pull a Doughty.

Basically Rielly would be competing for a spot with guys like Vlasic, Travis Hamonic, Tyson Barrie, Dougie Hamilton, Brent Seabrook.

this olympics is not finished yet. a lot can happen in the next 4 years and the nhl might not even allow the players to go.

weber at 32 years old will be still rock and rolling imo baring an injury. 32 is not that old for a hockey player any more. selanne is playing and he is in his 40s.

the way i see it, doughty, kieth, pietrangelo, weber are all locks baring some serious regression in play or injury. leaves 2 spots. i think rielly would have to develop a serious 2 way game to get some consideration. most of the guys on the team put up ~40 points perenially and play pp and pk. i think rielly can do it, we just need to hope he works out as planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00