Morgan Rielly: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It'd be a cool thing, but definitely isn't an easy position on the roster to crack. Will pretty much need to hit his ideal development in order to be in that discussion.

Still, plenty talented so who knows where he'll be in a few years.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm hoping the Olympic break will do wonders for his game.

Gives him time to rest, he's probably not used to the long haul of an 82 game season against men. It also gives him time to really sit down and study what he's been doing, how he's been playing, what's worked and what hasn't.

There's a reason you see big jumps from one year to the next with young guys (sometimes), and I think a lot of it has to do with simply having the time to sit down and review their previous year. It's hard to do that on the fly in the NHL, with 2-3 games a week, practices largely focused on the team rather then on your own individual play, etc.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I see you weren't around for the Luke Saviour Schenn love-in.

Luke Schenn played steller in the WJ and when we drafted him we literally had nothing to be excited about. We didn't have Phaneuf, JVR,Kessel, Bernier... we literally had no one (burke built a solid team for the haters)

Luke Schenn was brought in as our highest draft pick in years, he was captain material and pierre mcguire overrated him a lot. Morgan Rielly isn't getting the same hype and imo he should be getting a lot more. Luke Schenn was to slow, he hit everything that moved and stood up for his teammates but u can find those players anywhere... look at Gleason, Rielly is the smoothest skater ive seen from the leafs D core since maybe Leetch, this kid has a chance to make team Canada, and imo he should based on his potential, but we all know not everyone reaches there fullest potential (but when u can skate faster than everyone else its a lot easier to develop... unlike L. Schenn)

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Cracking team Canada D has to be one of the biggest attestation of a defenseman.

Rielly doing that in 2018 would mean he has made it to the elite ranks for defensemen.

lmao, if rielly was on any other team would we be saying he is going to be elite but when he isn't on our team we are saying he prolly wont.... wtf is going on why dont we have more positivity? this kid is a star already, just watch him pass the puck, skate... he can be elite...

inb4 gardiner is on team USA as well :) 2 elite PMD yes please

Leafstreak

Nov 26, 2013
I love Rielly but R.Murray has a better chance than him right now. He's already established himself as a top 4 on that CBJ team.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Luke Schenn played steller in the WJ and when we drafted him we literally had nothing to be excited about. We didn't have Phaneuf, JVR,Kessel, Bernier... we literally had no one (burke built a solid team for the haters)

Luke Schenn was brought in as our highest draft pick in years, he was captain material and pierre mcguire overrated him a lot. Morgan Rielly isn't getting the same hype and imo he should be getting a lot more. Luke Schenn was to slow, he hit everything that moved and stood up for his teammates but u can find those players anywhere... look at Gleason, Rielly is the smoothest skater ive seen from the leafs D core since maybe Leetch, this kid has a chance to make team Canada, and imo he should based on his potential, but we all know not everyone reaches there fullest potential (but when u can skate faster than everyone else its a lot easier to develop... unlike L. Schenn)

i think part of the difference between the 2 was that schenn was big at an early age. when you are bigger then your competition its a little easier. once he was playing with people his own size or bigger he lost that advantage and the rest of his game got exposed.

rielly in contrast missed a significant amount of time with an injury. i think if he played the full season he would have killed it and gotten more exposure.

there really is no comparison between the schenn and rielly imo. rielly is probably better defensively and miles ahead offensively. his hockey iq is pretty impressive for a 19 year old.

in fairness to schenn, he didnt have the supporting players that rielly has. riellys press time is mitigated by people going on about phaneuf being a crap captain with a shoe fetish, kadri being lazy and uninterested, and kessel eating too many big macs and being one dimensional.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
i think part of the difference between the 2 was that schenn was big at an early age. when you are bigger then your competition its a little easier. once he was playing with people his own size or bigger he lost that advantage and the rest of his game got exposed.

rielly in contrast missed a significant amount of time with an injury. i think if he played the full season he would have killed it and gotten more exposure.

there really is no comparison between the schenn and rielly imo. rielly is probably better defensively and miles ahead offensively. his hockey iq is pretty impressive for a 19 year old.

in fairness to schenn, he didnt have the supporting players that rielly has. riellys press time is mitigated by people going on about phaneuf being a crap captain with a shoe fetish, kadri being lazy and uninterested, and kessel eating too many big macs and being one dimensional.

I believe the correct answer is Cookies, Phil Kessel eats too many cookies.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I love Rielly but R.Murray has a better chance than him right now. He's already established himself as a top 4 on that CBJ team.

so has Rielly IMO, once he was finally placed with a real top 4 partner in Tim Gleason. He still has some weak points but his puck movement and vision are so needed in our top 4. Gardiner is a top 4 as well (barely), but they should only ever be paired on the PP, Franson, Fraser, Ranger were all barely bottom pairing guys (With Cody at least bringing a nice shot). It was so unfair to judge Morgan paired with those fools, esp on weak side.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
so has Rielly IMO, once he was finally placed with a real top 4 partner in Tim Gleason. He still has some weak points but his puck movement and vision are so needed in our top 4. Gardiner is a top 4 as well (barely), but they should only ever be paired on the PP, Franson, Fraser, Ranger were all barely bottom pairing guys (With Cody at least bringing a nice shot). It was so unfair to judge Morgan paired with those fools, esp on weak side.

As insane as Franson drives me, Rielly is playing on the left side when he takes shifts with him. But i'm glad to see him play with Gleason on ES, its definitely beneficial to him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I know both very well and there is a wide gap in skill and skating.....Murray at his highest development in 4 years will not be part of the discussion as skating will keep him out of the equation....good skater but not elite. He is also a birth year older then Rielly.....

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I see no reason that Jim Mckenny didn't become a star either ... you must remember him if you are one of us who watched their 60's Cups.

Anyway Rielly should turn out, but I have car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, life insurance and I don't expect to need any of it but there are no guarantees.

wiki

What happened there?

I remember Jim McKenny very well and why would you use him as a comparison ....he was a stud in the Jr but it did not and would not transfer in the NHL.....could not skate well enough....and his IQ left a lot to be desired, constantly cutting in front of his own net and not very successfully. He was also very slight in build and liked to drink a lot!

Then you mention Myers a player who I saw play close up for a year before he when to play in the OHL.....bad feet is his issue always has been....his size is his best attribute but he is limited by his feet and IQ.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I know both very well and there is a wide gap in skill and skating.....Murray at his highest development in 4 years will not be part of the discussion as skating will keep him out of the equation....good skater but not elite. He is also a birth year older then Rielly.....
Agreed already a slew of defenceman from the 2012 draft I'd take over Murray. Rielly, Maatta, Lindholm, Trouba. Murray will be a solid top 4 guy though. Maybe a solid #2 if he hits his peak. Not dynamic enough to be a number one imo.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Agreed already a slew of defenceman from the 2012 draft I'd take over Murray. Rielly, Maatta, Lindholm, Trouba. Murray will be a solid top 4 guy though. Maybe a solid #2 if he hits his peak. Not dynamic enough to be a number one imo.

Are you kidding me? There's not a D I'd take in the 2012 draft over Murray. You can't seriously call him a #2 at his peak, when he's already a great second pairing D man in his rookie year.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Are you kidding me? There's not a D I'd take in the 2012 draft over Murray. You can't seriously call him a #2 at his peak, when he's already a great second pairing D man in his rookie year.
Other have surpassed him. He's a good player now and is going to be great there's just an embarrassment of riches on the blueline from the 2012 draft. Maatta, Lindholm, and Trouba are all playing better than him right now as NHL'ers. I don't see anything to be kidding you about…

I also don't think me saying he has number 2 upside is a knock on him, that means he's going to be a great player. In fact I believe the knock on him pre-draft was that he was a very safe pick, but didn't have a tremendously high ceiling. That's pretty much exactly how I see him.

Last edited:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Other have surpassed him. He's a good player now and is going to be great there's just an embarrassment of riches on the blueline from the 2012 draft. Maatta, Lindholm, and Trouba are all playing better than him right now as NHL'ers. I don't see anything to be kidding you about...

I'd rather not turn this thread into a Murrat VS Maatta and Murray VS Lindholm, to each their own.

I don't see how you can safely say you'd take Rielly over Murray at this point. I don't think there's ever been a time where Rielly was a better player.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I'd rather not turn this thread into a Murrat VS Maatta and Murray VS Lindholm, to each their own.

I don't see how you can safely say you'd take Rielly over Murray at this point. I don't think there's ever been a time where Rielly was a better player.
Exactly, everyone sees prospects differently. The only argument that can me made for Rielly over Murray is upside and Rielly being more dynamic offensively. I favour Rielly's upside so I'd take him, but I'd have no issue with someone who views Murray as better.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Other have surpassed him. He's a good player now and is going to be great there's just an embarrassment of riches on the blueline from the 2012 draft. Maatta, Lindholm, and Trouba are all playing better than him right now as NHL'ers. I don't see anything to be kidding you about...

Im also going to side with Blitz

Ive seen Murray play twice this year and both times he was literally flawless. He doesnt make mistakes. And if he does he learns quickly and more faster than anyone I have seen for his age.

And about his skating, Ill make a comparison.

If Rielly's skating is like Duncan Kieth, then Ryan Murray's skating would be Alex Pietrangelo. Not fast acceleration wise, but extremely mobile, and ruthlessly efficient. Obviously Murray isnt as big as Pietrangelo, but in terms of Team Canada, thats the best comparison I could make.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Exactly, everyone sees prospects differently. The only argument that can me made for Rielly over Murray is upside and Rielly being more dynamic offensively. I favour Rielly's upside so I'd take him, but I'd have no issue with someone who views Murray as better.

That's pretty much how I view it as well.

But like you said the dynamic aspect of Rielly puts him top for me. I've thought that since draft day if we're picking as high as 2nd and were going for a defenseman Rielly was the guy.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
3rd in ice-time among leaf dmen last night. Hopefully this is just the start.

He looks like he's poised to breakout next year. Decision making is good, and I've been impressed with his ability to pick the right times to join the rush. Everything's been there besides the results, which is encouraging at this point in his young career.

He really needs to work on his lanes in the defensive end, though. Hopefully playing with Gleason helps.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
He picks up on patterns and when to make certain plays extremely quickly. He is a really quick learner. He just has to work on his shot and he should be a #1 defenseman.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He looks like he's poised to breakout next year. Decision making is good, and I've been impressed with his ability to pick the right times to join the rush. Everything's been there besides the results, which is encouraging at this point in his young career.

He really needs to work on his lanes in the defensive end, though. Hopefully playing with Gleason helps.

Good assessment. He seems to be getting more and more confident every game. I'd like to say I have cautious optimism for the future, but I already bought my Rielly jersey, so the optimism isn't cautious at all :laugh:.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

And his shot. My god that shot...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Has quietly put up 20 points to date. Might have a modest 30 by seasons end. Of course he wasn't going to start with a 50 point season on a Carlyle team. He has been eased in, not been put in too many pressure packed situations. 30 points would be a good point total but I think he has gained valuable experience playing an nhl defensive game. Thought he has looked very comfortable over the last 20 games or so...should start seeing a confident nhl player by years end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00