Morgan Rielly: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
image.jpg

Granted I almost never agree with Mike Johnson, but just thought this was pretty interesting.

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Riells is an Offensive D similar to Subb

and unless Rielly can play solid D
his chances arent good like Subb didnt even make the top 6

Subban didn't make the top 6 because he plays on the right side; he's not going to supplant Doughty, Weber, or Piets.

He also plays way too high risk against relatively sheltered competition. Jury is still out on Rielly; but he has a better shot just because he plays the left side.

Who knows what he develops into though. I have high hopes for him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would say improbable. The blueline at these past Olympics were absolutely stacked for us, and the oldest guy was only 31 years old...

Throw in guys like Ekblad, Murray, Hamilton, etc. And he'll definitely have a tough time. He essentially has to become a Duncan Keith calibre player to make the team (I use him as an example because I think they're fairly similar in playing style).

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Really don't like the poll options. There needs to be a middle ground between probable and improbable.

With the Olympics 4 years away and Rielly currently performing as he has in his rookie season, I'd say its possible.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Subban didn't make the top 6 because he plays on the right side; he's not going to supplant Doughty, Weber, or Piets.

He also plays way too high risk against relatively sheltered competition. Jury is still out on Rielly; but he has a better shot just because he plays the left side.

Who knows what he develops into though. I have high hopes for him.

Rielly plays on right side. May be he will end up playing Right side considering our Defense prospects. Lets just hope that he can turn out into someone who gets the invitation for team Canada.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
To be fair, Mike Johnson is also kind of a Leafs homer. He's a local boy who played here for a few years and even during TSN games he loves saying good things about our players :laugh: Not that I'm complaining considering we have to listen to the 3 stooges every HNIC broadcast but still

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
It's possible, but silly to project, we dont know if the current guys will decline, we dont know what other guys will begin to grow etc.

just way too far away, but as of now, he has a small chance if he becomes what he is projected to be.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I see you weren't around for the Luke Saviour Schenn love-in.

I have been around since the Leafs won the cup....but did not join this site when he was first drafted. In no way are they comparable....and peoples expectations are not a valid argument when comparing players as many are wrong on here.....based on them being a Leaf.

They just are not comparable in any way......Rielly is already vastly superior to Schenn now.

Take a look at what Rielly is being ask to do.....play his weak side most of the season....and Learn to play in the NHL at the same time, under a coach who is hard on young players.....

Wait until the leash comes off....this is a young man who missed a whole season of development and still is at this level at his age. His poise and comfort level has improved as the year has gone on, while playing with several different playing partners who play different styles. We have a stud here...I for one am glad as it has allowed him to blend in while playing far better then most realize....Carlyle is playing him far more than even he imagined he would....and well deserved.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly plays on right side. May be he will end up playing Right side considering our Defense prospects. Lets just hope that he can turn out into someone who gets the invitation for team Canada.

Yes Rielly is playing the Right side but is a Left side D man.....it is just that his skill set allows him to play the Rights side better then our other left shot D man.

If he was invited to try out his ability to play both sides would be a valuable asset as would his superior skating skills.

We all got to see just how important skating skills were to our success on the big ice and how effective it was at minimizing offensive off the rush.

mikebel111*

I have been around since the Leafs won the cup....but did not join this site when he was first drafted. In no way are they comparable....and peoples expectations are not a valid argument when comparing players as many are wrong on here.....based on them being a Leaf.

They just are not comparable in any way......Rielly is already vastly superior to Schenn now.

Take a look at what Rielly is being ask to do.....play his weak side most of the season....and Learn to play in the NHL at the same time, under a coach who is hard on young players.....

Wait until the leash comes off....this is a young man who missed a whole season of development and still is at this level at his age. His poise and comfort level has improved as the year has gone on, while playing with several different playing partners who play different styles. We have a stud here...I for one am glad as it has allowed him to blend in while playing far better then most realize....Carlyle is playing him far more than even he imagined he would....and well deserved.

I am sure he will be challenging for a spot on the top pair by next season

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The kids special and will put his name into the discussion if he lives up to his potential. Hopefully he can take a big step forward next year like Doughty and Karlsson did after getting their feet wet in their 20 year old season. I'm not a big fan of Mike Johnson and i'm quite surprised to see him listed, hopefully he proves Mike right.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Throw in guys like Ekblad, Murray, Hamilton, etc. And he'll definitely have a tough time. He essentially has to become a Duncan Keith calibre player to make the team (I use him as an example because I think they're fairly similar in playing style).

When will this end? :shakehead

Besides, Rielly is and always has been a better hockey player than Hamilton. AINEC. Team Canada values skating. Snowshod players like Hamilton aren't high on their list.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I see no reason that Jim Mckenny didn't become a star either ... you must remember him if you are one of us who watched their 60's Cups.

Anyway Rielly should turn out, but I have car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, life insurance and I don't expect to need any of it but there are no guarantees.

Myers was awarded with the Calder Memorial Trophy on June 23, 2010 at the NHL Awards Ceremony.
wiki

What happened there?

Leafs Life Hockey*

Cracking team Canada D has to be one of the biggest attestation of a defenseman.

Rielly doing that in 2018 would mean he has made it to the elite ranks for defensemen.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

he did? when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad