Post-Game Talk: Montreal/Reimer defeat the Leafs....

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Here are some stats re: our goaltending and record since the Olympic Break.

Jonathan Bernier is 3-1-2 (two OT wins). In the loss, he was a .939. In the two OT losses, he was .857 and .867. In the two OT wins, he was a .903 and a .943. In the lone regulation win, he was .977. The opponents were NYI (cold), MTL (cold), CBJ, NYR (hot), PHL (hot), ANA. He left the LAK game in which he had put up .800 in the first. He faced an average of ~34 shots a game.

James Reimer is now 1-5-0. In the five losses, he's been .833, .875 (the SJ game, which we all seemed to agree the whole team was out to lunch on), .889, .903, and .906. In the lone win, he was 1.000. The opponents were WAS (cold), DET, TPA (hot), MTL (hot), SJS, and LAK. He faced an average of ~36 shots a game.

Neither goalie has played phenomenal, and even when Our Saviour Bernier has, the team still only managed to grab one regulation win. The only two regulation wins we have had since after the Olympic break have had .977 or higher SV% and 1.00 or lower GAA. Both goaltenders have had some sub-900 nights (which were OT losses for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer), and some above-900 nights (which were OT wins for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer).

Maybe -- just maybe -- the team is playing awful and the goaltending can't bail them out from being as bad as they have been since the break.

and I acknowledged that. but at the end of the the post- I said, let's just talk about tonight. Montreal was just as bad defensively, we were the better team, and Reimer let it down. the end

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Reimer hasn't been helping, and I'm glad the Cult of Reimer has finally been laid to rest, but it doesn't change the fact that the atrocious defending is still the biggest problem. I mean, for the fourth goal, go look at that comedy of errors from the PK. I don't know what the **** Phaneuf was doing with the puck in the corner.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
the love fest with mediocre players have to stop until that happens scrubs like bozo, clarkson, dion that get praised like hall of fame players will always be poster boy for the leafs.

You keep loving mediocrity don't expect others to do so as well

Bozak has 43 point in 48 games this year at 4.2 per

But you were okay with Leafs keeping a 16 point Center at 5.5 last year.

Hypopcrisy at it's best.

leafstilldeath*

That scrub Bozo is one of the smartest players on the team AND he produces :laugh:

Take that as you will.

look at his career stats. this season he is producing. heck even Clarkson scored 30 goals one season, heck even Kuli had that 30 goal season.

Are you a fanboy?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Hypopcrisy at it's best.

People won't like to admit it but Bozak isn't a mediocre player.

look at his career stats. this season he is producing. heck even Clarkson scored 30 goals one season, heck even Kuli had that 30 goal season.

Are you a fanboy?

Bozak's only real down season was his 2nd season in the NHL and his first full NHL season ever. Where that year, the whole Leafs team was horrible.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
It's not just Reimer. The defense is just awful and cannot provide any decent coverage in the Leafs zone. This team has no heart and people are right about not wanting to cheer for this current team.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I actually love free wheeling hockey. I was worried when Carlyle came in that we would become just another trap team but the team still plays good hockey. You do need a good goalie when you're not playing the trap.

I do think we need better puck possession. However, the best puck possession I ever saw was the Red Wings team that had the Russian 5. They played the Left Wing Lock and they moved really slowly and just passed the puck around for minutes at a time sometimes even passing up shots to pass the puck around more. Most boring hockey I've ever seen. Made me want to cry.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
The emotion was fine, Just don't direct it at a team mate. Slam your stick, Slam the door, Scream into the air what ever you need to do to get it out; But keep it unspecific.

Nobody yelled at him on the turn over for their 1st goal.

Yup, hard to hold others accountable when you can't be relied on to give a full effort defensively and are unwilling to get to the prime scoring areas to get to the post season. JVR takes huge abuse being the net front guy. Kessel has never gotten his hands dirty like that.

No that's clearly not it. While Bernier wasn't at his best he wasn't letting in incredibly soft goals and single-handedly losing us games like Reimer was. He wasn't giving up 2 goal leads in every 1st period making the Leafs play catchup all the time.

Yes.. Bernier was doing that earlier this year. The Carolina game where he hands over the GWG?? The NYR game where he let's in two softies in a row? Since he's been the starter he's (mostly) eliminated those from his game while Reimer has lost his confidence and become much more shaky.

Neither goalie has been bailing us out since the Olympic break and the Leafs need whoever the starter is to play out of his mind every game to even give them a chance to win.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Wow that post game interview by Reimer pisses me off. At least take credit for having a bad game and costing your team a chance at a win. Ridiculous.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

Are you a fanboy?

Am I a fanboy? What? You don't have to be a fanboy of someone to acknowledge what they've been doing this season. For what we are now, I like what Bozak brings to the table. Can you upgrade from him? Of course you can, but the question is how when you're cap strapped and #1C's dont exactly grow on trees, especially when the majority of the NHL are also looking for the same thing.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Wow that post game interview by Reimer pisses me off. At least take credit for having a bad game and costing your team a chance at a win. Ridiculous.
The grin bothers me th most. Even Spezza has trained himself not to giggle any more.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
No that's clearly not it. While Bernier wasn't at his best he wasn't letting in incredibly soft goals and single-handedly losing us games like Reimer was. He wasn't giving up 2 goal leads in every 1st period making the Leafs play catchup all the time.

You're right.

Against NYI, we gave up two late SHG goals in the first (key saves!) to give NYI the lead, retook it, and then surrendered the lead twice in the third period and we lost in OT.

Against MTL, we went down 2-0 in the 1st, and then he let MTL get the tying PP goal on the bad Gleason call and dove out of his crease to freeze a puck leading to the GWG in OT.

Against CBJ, we went down 2-0 in the 2nd after a scoreless first.

Against NYR, we allowed two short-handed goals on the same PP (key saves!) and lost in OT after going up 2-0.

Against PHL, we blew the lead twice in the third period again (key saves!), and eked out an OT win.

Against LAK, we (WAIT FOR IT) went down 2-0 in the 1st, before he left and Reimer was perfect the rest of the way so that we could get a SHG to win it.

So, no, Bernier totally didn't give out 2-0 leads except for the three of six games where we did, and he totally did not let in incredibly soft goals or untimely goals and cost us. Unlike those saves Reimer totally should have made on scoring changes he had to face as a result of colossal defensive breakdowns, Bernier definitely did not let in shorthanded goals thanks to his team derping it up or by him shooting the puck off his own defenders, nor did he take a penalty in OT that cost us the MTL game, nor did we cede a billion third period leads. He was definitely perfect, just like the team around him.

Lights out against Anaheim though!

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yup, hard to hold others accountable when you can't be relied on to give a full effort defensively and are unwilling to get to the prime scoring areas to get to the post season. JVR takes huge abuse being the net front guy. Kessel has never gotten his hands dirty like that.

Yes.. Bernier was doing that earlier this year. The Carolina game where he hands over the GWG?? The NYR game where he let's in two softies in a row? Since he's been the starter he's (mostly) eliminated those from his game while Reimer has lost his confidence and become much more shaky.

Neither goalie has been bailing us out since the Olympic break and the Leafs need whoever the starter is to play out of his mind every game to even give them a chance to win.

What? :laugh:

Every goalie lets in a softie, you can't seriously use that argument.

Plus, that game was in the early of the season. They had a chance to make it up for the loss. Tonight's game screwed us over badly and it was because of that piece of **** goaltender.

leafstilldeath*

Hypopcrisy at it's best.

Carlyle not using the players to their strength is player's fault?

bozak got handed the 1C on a silver platter without ever working for it. SUCKED at it without two elite wingers.

18 wheeler went of the cliff seson before last when Lupul got injured where the **** was bozak then?

nobody blamed bozo because he was given that role. He was and still is a 1C on this team by default not by choice. you believe what you want to believe.

Singing praises of a player based on one season and shunning another player based on one season might be your thing not mine.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Plus, that game was in the early of the season. They had a chance to make it up for the loss. Tonight's game screwed us over badly and it was because of that piece of **** goaltender.

Win that game early in the season, and even with the loss, we're still only 3pts back from MTL after tonight and have NYR between us and DET/CLB.

Every game counts.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Even the crappy teams in the 80's made you feel something.

Of course they didn't get retirement money at age 22.

I lived in Toronto in the 80s my much more successful brother had seasons tickets in the end reds and very top row of greys and access to a lot of other seats. I loved going to the Gardens, most memorable was the Leafs jumping out to a 5-0 first period lead against a powerhouse Calgary team and of course losing, no overpriced beer allowed just Crown Royal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad