Post-Game Talk: Montreal/Reimer defeat the Leafs....

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I'm not really feeling any emotional discomfort from this loss, or most of the other games this year.

I'd have to say out of 5 decades of supporting this team this current version may be one of the least likeable teams.

Your entitled to your opinion not going to say anything on that... For me this is my favorite Leaf team these past 30 years cause it's a young talented group coming together. Having said that when it comes to the coach however lets just say I hope Nonis comes to his senses and doesn't make any stupid trades to please this head coach.;)

indohockeyfan

Feb 27, 2014
While I agree the officiating is brutal in the Habs favour, that was clearly too many men ..

Really??
Habs only had 2 pp's, jvr stick hits price in the head. And I don't see any of us calling out the Phaneuf dive on Phaneuf, watch the replay and call a spade a spade. We lost because of Reimer and the Habs were just better today.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well amongst the wreckage that is our current predicament, The play of Gardiner and Rielly is quite encouraging.

The top line does what they do, But I didn't like Kessel's "display" after JVR iced it to our zone, But I suppose he understood the importance of the game and he just get got emotional.

This is a kick in the shins no doubt; And they got 10 games to finish this off. Or else there's going to some major questions asked about the leadership of players like Phaneuf and Lupul, But I'm nearing the point of whether those should be questioned regardless.

I loved Kessel's display, showed emotion and that he cared. I don't blame him one bit, it was probably something they practiced, JVR should have gave him the puck in that spot.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
are you forgetting the extra 11 million dollars in cap space that could have been used on better D or C??? More importantly on D

Who was available? We let Bozak go to the free agency and then we signed him back. Who is available? You just won't get it because you don't mention Clarktard. You count a 0.9 PPG center probably in top 20 and top 15 defenseman trash.

You are just out of your mind. Drink a little less.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm 5 decades in too and I hate the way this team plays, blame the coach? I have no idea because they operate in a way my amateur eyes can't fathom. Reimer has never inspired confidence because he CANT control rebounds or catch the f* ing puck.

Agree here haven;t been on this planet for 5 decades but for the tikme that I have been here and supported the only NHL team, this has been the team that is least liked by me.

No hustle, No emotion, No Pride

only entitlement. God alone knows what entitlement they have....

Even the crappy teams in the 80's made you feel something.

Of course they didn't get retirement money at age 22.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Really??
Habs only had 2 pp's, jvr stick hits price in the head. And I don't see any of us calling out the Phaneuf dive on Phaneuf, watch the replay and call a spade a spade. We lost because of Reimer and the Habs were just better today.

First of all, we lost because of Reimer not the officiating. Secondly I'm saying in general over the course of the season between Gallagher interference calls and bs calls the officiating favours Montreal. I'm not talking about this game specifically. If anything I am saying that was a good too many men call. And lastly that was a solid flop job by Price on JVR's contact
Oh and finally Leafs were way better than Habs today

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm not really feeling any emotional discomfort from this loss, or most of the other games this year.

I'd have to say out of 5 decades of supporting this team this current version may be one of the least likeable teams.

I'm feeling pretty much the same. Been watching about 46 years I can't remember a team that had so few (any?) character guys on the roster.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
are you forgetting the extra 11 million dollars in cap space that could have been used on better D or C??? More importantly on D

Funny coming from a poster that was ok with spending 5.5 on a 16 point center last year.

But one that moans about spending 4.2 on a 43 point center in the same exact amount of games.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Even the crappy teams in the 80's made you feel something.

Of course they didn't get retirement money at age 22.
How true. I remember guys like Motor City Smitty coming into the bar after playoff wins and realizing at the same age I was making as much as him even though as a Leafs player he had other perks.;) Those crappy '80's teams had more heart than these guys,

leafstilldeath*

Who was available? We let Bozak go to the free agency and then we signed him back. Who is available? You just won't get it because you don't mention Clarktard. You count a 0.9 PPG center probably in top 20 and top 15 defenseman trash.

You are just out of your mind. Drink a little less.

the love fest with mediocre players have to stop until that happens scrubs like bozo, clarkson, dion that get praised like hall of fame players will always be poster boy for the leafs.

You keep loving mediocrity don't expect others to do so as well

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
18 starts. 4 wins. That's Reimer's stats. And I'm tired of everyone going "oh but his confidence" "oh but whatever" "oh the team defense sucks" "oh.."

Stop. the last 18 starts. 4 wins.

Here are some stats re: our goaltending and record since the Olympic Break.

Jonathan Bernier is 3-1-2 (two OT wins). In the loss, he was a .939. In the two OT losses, he was .857 and .867. In the two OT wins, he was a .903 and a .943. In the lone regulation win, he was .977. The opponents were NYI (cold), MTL (cold), CBJ, NYR (hot), PHL (hot), ANA. He left the LAK game in which he had put up .800 in the first. He faced an average of ~34 shots a game. (Edit: Offensive support averaged ~3G a game, I think.)

James Reimer is now 1-5-0. In the five losses, he's been .833, .875 (the SJ game, which we all seemed to agree the whole team was out to lunch on), .889, .903, and .906. In the lone win, he was 1.000. The opponents were WAS (cold), DET, TPA (hot), MTL (hot), SJS, and LAK. He faced an average of ~36 shots a game. (Edit: Offensive support has averaged ~2.5G a game.)

Neither goalie has played phenomenal, and even when Our Saviour Bernier has, the team still only managed to grab one regulation win. The only two regulation wins we have had since after the Olympic break have had .977 or higher SV% and 1.00 or lower GAA. Both goaltenders have had some sub-900 nights (which were OT losses for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer), and some above-900 nights (which were OT wins for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer).

Maybe -- just maybe -- the team is playing awful and the goaltending can't bail them out from being as bad as they have been since the break.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
the love fest with mediocre players have to stop until that happens scrubs like bozo, clarkson, dion that get praised like hall of fame players will always be poster boy for the leafs.

You keep loving mediocrity don't expect others to do so as well

That scrub Bozo is one of the smartest players on the team AND he produces :laugh:

Take that as you will.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Reimer! This team can't win with goaltending like that. The guys got a 4 GAA since January that's bush league. Please start Drew Macyntire next game cause we are not making the playoffs with Reimer

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There must be a silver lining in this somewhere but I can't see it at the moment. It feels more like an endlessly recurring nightmare.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
The most frustrating thing is that Macintyre was never given a chance.. For all we know he starts tomorrow and plays great. But even if he does it won't matter, because Reimer has already lost us the 3-4 games he has been given since the injury and Bernier will be back to take the job back anyway.

leafstilldeath*

I'm feeling pretty much the same. Been watching about 46 years I can't remember a team that had so few (any?) character guys on the roster.

except Bolland there are no character guys on the roster.

(McClement may be...)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I loved Kessel's display, showed emotion and that he cared. I don't blame him one bit, it was probably something they practiced, JVR should have gave him the puck in that spot.

The emotion was fine, Just don't direct it at a team mate. Slam your stick, Slam the door, Scream into the air what ever you need to do to get it out; But keep it unspecific.

Nobody yelled at him on the turn over for their 1st goal.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Michigan State is most likely going to win tonight, my bracket is still alive.

That's my silver lining to an otherwise horrible sports week for me.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Here are some stats re: our goaltending and record since the Olympic Break.

Jonathan Bernier is 3-1-2 (two OT wins). In the loss, he was a .939. In the two OT losses, he was .857 and .867. In the two OT wins, he was a .903 and a .943. In the lone regulation win, he was .977. The opponents were NYI (cold), MTL (cold), CBJ, NYR (hot), PHL (hot), ANA. He left the LAK game in which he had put up .800 in the first. He faced an average of ~34 shots a game.

James Reimer is now 1-5-0. In the five losses, he's been .833, .875 (the SJ game, which we all seemed to agree the whole team was out to lunch on), .889, .903, and .906. In the lone win, he was 1.000. The opponents were WAS (cold), DET, TPA (hot), MTL (hot), SJS, and LAK. He faced an average of ~36 shots a game.

Neither goalie has played phenomenal, and even when Our Saviour Bernier has, the team still only managed to grab one regulation win. The only two regulation wins we have had since after the Olympic break have had .977 or higher SV% and 1.00 or lower GAA. Both goaltenders have had some sub-900 nights (which were OT losses for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer), and some above-900 nights (which were OT wins for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer).

Maybe -- just maybe -- the team is playing awful and the goaltending can't bail them out from being as bad as they have been since the break.

No that's clearly not it. While Bernier wasn't at his best he wasn't letting in incredibly soft goals and single-handedly losing us games like Reimer was. He wasn't giving up 2 goal leads in every 1st period making the Leafs play catchup all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad