Post-Game Talk: Montreal/Reimer defeat the Leafs....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not emotionally connected with this team taking the next step and it's because of Carlyle. We have a good team but he's got to change his approach of 70% defence compared to 30% offense if his micromanaging ways will pan out with this group.

The team is behind the 8 ball each and every game do to his stupidity of not utilizing puck moving D men to kick start the teams offensive zone time in gear and not receiving the game but dictate the game for once from the start not to mention the love for Mcclemet that I will never understand.... Riemer is stinking the joint right now and it's shades of Ron Wilson's last season as coach goaltending sinking the confidence of the group in front. Carlyle deserves this just feel bad for the rest of the team especially the D core cause IT'S CARLYLE'S FAULT WHY THIS TEAM ROPE & DOPES RECEIVING THE DAM GAME ALL THE TIME... It's not until the team is down by 2 goals when the shackles come off the PMD Gardiner & Rielly does this team start to dictate the game WTF. Both should be in the top 4 take Gunnarsson off the top pairing and put him where he belongs in the #5 slot used primarily for Defensive purposes when called upon. 2way hockey involves offense something that Carlyle's 70% defensive micromanaged bench coaching mind set holds this team back from taking the next step... it's always too late with Carlyle the team has to be losing before the #FreeJakeGardiner & #FreeMorgan Rielly takes place for the team to play the way they should be from the start to finish and to hold leads.

I'm not really feeling any emotional discomfort from this loss, or most of the other games this year.

I'd have to say out of 5 decades of supporting this team this current version may be one of the least likeable teams.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Well stated Daisy, enough of baby sitting Reimers feelings, all he has to do catch the frigging puck and control a rebound. Everyone likes his aw shucks personality and back story but he has had his chance to grab the wheel and has failed.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I'm not really feeling any emotional discomfort from this loss, or most of the other games this year.

I'd have to say out of 5 decades of supporting this team this current version may be one of the least likeable teams.
Couldn't agree more. A really gutless group.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Reimer played awful tonight, I won't try and defend that. But I'm not going to blame an entire season of zero commitment defensive play and awful D zone coverage on him. If he's the scapegoat tonight so be it but this entire team is built upon one way play.

It's frustrating to watch your franchise forward and defencemen refuse to pay the price to get this team to the post season. Every time Kessel flies up with the puck then slams on the brakes because he refuses to take the puck to the net. So many scoring opportunities missed because the leader of our forwards won't initiate body contact to get to the prime scoring areas. He'll always be willing to settle for the perimeter shot. Sets a terrible message for the rest of the team.

I went from being disappointed after Leafs loses to finding them amusing and now I just find it sad. Every year they seem to top how to be the biggest joke in the NHL. Only way it could of been worse tonight if they managed to lose it in OT so they could string along the playoff hopes for a while. Gardiner and Rielly were great tonight, and the team didn't play too bad. But at the end of the day 2 points is all that matters and they walked away with 0.

Maybe Bernier can come back in time to drag this team to the post season but I don't like their chances against any team in a 7 game series.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
1395244646044.jpg

Courtesy: Yubbers

Amazing.

leafstilldeath*

Whats wrong with Phaneuf and Bozak?

How would we even survive without best man to take faceoffs and only defenseman who is the only reliable guy from all the defensemen?

We will go no where with a team like

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bolland-Clarkson
Kulemin-Holland-Raymond
Orr-McClement-Bodie

Gunnerson-Gardiner
Franson-Gleason
Ranger-Rielly.

Absolute Disaster.

are you forgetting the extra 11 million dollars in cap space that could have been used on better D or C??? More importantly on D

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Reimer was terrible.

But he's going to be a great excuse the rest of the team can use on why they didn't make the playoffs.

Did anyone really believe a team that is DEAD LAST in shots against was going to make the playoffs? And they're not even close to Buffalo in shots against, they ran away with it this year.

If you want to neatly package the reason this team missed the playoffs on Reimer, that's great. But this team needs MASSIVE changes, and it starts with the coaching.

couldn't agree more.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
We have to score early tomorrow and get a lead very quickly because against New Jersey (a great possession team) we're going to be in our own zone a lot and the goalie will have to be huge.

Reimer literally stole us games against Jersey last year. So if he plays again tomorrow, hopefully, he can do the same.

Snacks Kassian

Mar 21, 2014
Vancouver
First time all year they ice a forward group that was envisioned in the offseason and I thought overall they looked great. Plenty of scoring chances and dominated pretty much the whole game. Bolland didn't look out of place at all tonight and should only get better. He really fills out the forward group nicely and allows for others to fall back into their proper rolls.

The defence these past stretch of games have been extremely dangerous offensively, Gardiner in particular. It's quite obvious that he has been given the green light to let it loose and he certainly is creating a lot of ofense right now. If only he and the rest of the defence could cut out some of the most horrific unforced turnovers we could maybe claim some sort of respectability on the defensive end.

Reimers game was hot trash tonight and it's obvious his confidence is at an all time low. This team needs that calming presence in Bernier back in the lineup yesterday. I just want to see a fully healthy and non suspended team play to finally see how good we can be, which could be really impressive.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I can understand that. Compared to 92 through 94 or those early 2000's teams, there's no real heart and soul player here. The captain is also uncharismatic and the leadership group isn't anything special with pretty boy Lupul and good defensivley but good at nothing else McClement. Having bums like Clarkson and Franson being forced into key roles doesn't help.

There's no identity, no character, and an air of apathy from this team. Compared to Leafs teams of the past it's disappointing.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
We've been in the bottom 5-10 in Goals Against per game in 8 of the past 9 seasons. Almost a decade of terrible defence, or goaltending, or a combination of both.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the one season they weren't a league worst defensive team was also coincidentally the only 48 game season of the 9.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

ha ha reimer was such **** tonight. one of the goals didn't look like it was his fault - i think the third looked like it was deflected from where i was sitting. but the rest were pretty bad.

phaneuf also looked really bad tonight.

bolland looked good tho.

We have to score early tomorrow and get a lead very quickly because against New Jersey (a great possession team) we're going to be in our own zone a lot and the goalie will have to be huge.

Reimer literally stole us games against Jersey last year. So if he plays again tomorrow, hopefully, he can do the same.

too bad we're totally incapable of doing that. i predict we'll spend most of the first half of the period running around in our end, reimer will let in a softy, we'll tie it up, then give up a late period goal. as always.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Well amongst the wreckage that is our current predicament, The play of Gardiner and Rielly is quite encouraging.

The top line does what they do, But I didn't like Kessel's "display" after JVR iced it to our zone, But I suppose he understood the importance of the game and he just got emotional.

This is a kick in the shins no doubt; And they got 10 games to finish this off. Or else there's going to some major questions asked about the leadership of players like Phaneuf and Lupul, But I'm nearing the point of whether those two should be questioned regardless.

Last edited:

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

I'm 5 decades in too and I hate the way this team plays, blame the coach? I have no idea because they operate in a way my amateur eyes can't fathom. Reimer has never inspired confidence because he CANT control rebounds or catch the f* ing puck.

leafstilldeath*

Agree here haven;t been on this planet for 5 decades but for the tikme that I have been here and supported the only NHL team, this has been the team that is least liked by me.

No hustle, No emotion, No Pride

only entitlement. God alone knows what entitlement they have....

That said, I think Carlyle is the head coach that I hate the most equally on par with Wilson.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
As i have said numerous times, Nonis should have traded C Mac, Franson and Reimer way before but he just decided to hang onto them - that result in either they walk away as free agent or their trade value depreciate...not exactly a good way in building assets. You need to Buy Low and Sell High!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
this team is pretty full of vaginas, no doubt.

I want to keep Bolland around, not only because he makes us better, but because he knows what it takes to win and can hopefully pass some of that on to the rest of our team, who look pretty lost at this point.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
this team is pretty full of vaginas, no doubt.

I want to keep Bolland around, not only because he makes us better, but because he knows what it takes to win and can hopefully pass some of that on to the rest of our team, who look pretty lost at this point.

But do you want to spend his asking price for a 3rd line center?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I am pissed. I am worried. If this team is going to sink, at least try something different. I'd rather not see #35 in the starting line up tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad