Post-Game Talk: Montreal/Reimer defeat the Leafs....

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
with....

Phaneuf as a 1D
Bozo as a 1C or top 6 (even strength and more so on a PP)
Clarkson in top 6
Franson as a 2nd pairing D
Kessel playing soft affraid to take a hit to make a play (at least he cares about winning)
Lupul showing up on only Sat games

Whats wrong with Phaneuf and Bozak?

How would we even survive without best man to take faceoffs and only defenseman who is the only reliable guy from all the defensemen?

We will go no where with a team like

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bolland-Clarkson
Kulemin-Holland-Raymond
Orr-McClement-Bodie

Gunnerson-Gardiner
Franson-Gleason
Ranger-Rielly.

Absolute Disaster.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Actually if you think about it this is normal for us Leafs fans.

:laugh:

True. I am not rattled. This was a very predictable outcome to this game, heck I even called it when Montreal went up 2-0 that the Leafs would come back and Reimer would end up giving up a back breaking goal.

I predicted 4-2, ended up being 4-3. Close enough.

Reimer needs to GTFO this team...and so does half this team and the coach after we miss the playoffs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
the team D has not been great, but Reimer turns simple shots into an adventure. impacts how everyone around him plays.

It's not 100% his fault, but it's close

Hard to believe Calgary has a better GA average than us. Heck Buffalo are better GA. Reimer was not good, but we do have problems giving up chances. Personnel, system, coaching. Maybe all of the above.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
It would be interesting to see what the pole would say now when they had one earlier in the year on who you think is the Leafs best goaltender after Bernier had a bad game and the majority was voting for Reimer....me thinks it would look different.....

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
After each disastrous loss that brings the Leafs closer to slumping out of the playoffs, Phaneuf must have a jolt of optimism run through his brain as the final whistle sounds:

"Got to rush in and get me Red Bull hat cleaned up and perched on my moronic head. Gotta keep things in perspective here..."

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
I also want Carlyle out the door, too. He's not the right coach for this team. There's no reason a team with this much speed and skill can't have better zone coverage. Plus it looks like half the team really dislike him and Carlyle himself is becoming visibly frustrated.

Oh is did the team tell you they hate him? So in your opinion we could be cup contenders with the exact same team but a different coach.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
I agree that the team played well tonight, in that we weren't OUT played for a change...

But the only reason this team is in a playoff race is due to Bernier (and yes... Reimers) play all season.
The game saw pretty much equal shots/chances. Our goalie let in ONE more goal than theirs. Oh, the horror.
How many times this season did we get outshot/chanced almost 2-1 and still win the game?

If we make the playoffs, it's because of our ridiculously strong goaltending all year... one bad week for Reimer notwithstanding.

Pretty much.

Identical SOG by the end of it, and Price certainly didn't get any friendly deflection presents into his net. We were back by six shots through two and down by a goal.

Reimer's had a 'bad' week by his or anyone's standards, and the team being hot garbage certainly doesn't help.

It would be interesting to see what the pole would say now when they had one earlier in the year on who you think is the Leafs best goaltender after Bernier had a bad game and the majority was voting for Reimer....me thinks it would look different.....

Of course it would -- think of the fanbase you're talking about. They'd be falling all over themselves talking about Bernier's bad puck luck and the team's poor defensive zone play if he had been in net for this same result, because he was the new hotness on our hot streak. Ignore the fact that he didn't look fantastic after the Olympic break, either, primarily because of the team.

Bluejaysfan*

A couple of years from now it wouldn't surprise me to see the same people blasting bernier.

The toronto maple leaf cycle will continue .. what has happened before will happen again.

The difference is in the way they play. Reimer lacks the fundamentals and makes a career off of his athleticism and compete level. Bernier is much like Price in where they are both fundamentally sound, calm and make everything look easy. There is a reason Reimer lets in so many bad goals and gives up so many rebounds, he is not fundamentally sound. The only flaw Bernier has is his occasional lapses but every goalie that plays with a calm demeanor endures the flaws of that style of play from time to time. Heck, we even saw Price do it on the second goal the Leafs scored.

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
I think I saw Toskala in net tonight. But for some weird reason the back of the jersey had some other name on it spelled Reimer.

huh, weird

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Man the Habs & Leafs isn't a rivalry anymore, Habs fans feelings bad for us :laugh: and this is just how bad the Leafs are :help::shakehead

Leafs aren't bad, and even this four game losing streak is just bad luck with Bernier out. I know you guys are frustrated but goaltending is HUGE, and right now Reimer isn't the man.

As for the rivalry not being the same, it's understandable. I hate the Bruins more and both our teams have been pretty meh the past 20 years.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
After each disastrous loss that brings the Leafs closer to slumping out of the playoffs, Phaneuf must have a jolt of optimism run through his brain as the final whistle sounds:

"Got to rush in and get me Red Bull hat cleaned up and perched on my moronic head. Gotta keep things in perspective here..."
One day he will say something non-cliche postgame. I will be mindblown when it happens.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Agreed. Unfortunately the half that need to gtfo won't be the ones leaving.

at least Reimer and Clarkson. I don't need to see another year of Clarkson to find out that yes he really is an idiot without any skill. One season has already made that fully clear.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
He also singlehandedly took us out of the playoffs.

odd .. the stretch in december prior to christmas where bernier couldnt win a game to save his life going something like 2-6-3 looks pretty bad too.

this last stretch of games for Reimer (the last 7 decisions) - 4 of them were above .900 save percentage - only one of them a win (in LA). usually that's a team problem if your goaltender stops 9 out of 10 shots and you still lose.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

It's amazing how our goaltending situation has drastically changed in the second half of the season. 1st half, Reimer and Bernier were top of the charts. 2nd half, Bernier is still up there and Reimer sank to somewhere that doesn't exist.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There is no doubt that Reimer looked horrible on the Canadiens 1st, 2nd, and 4th goals.

However the Goaltender Interference penalty on James van Riemsdyk that lead to the Canadiens 4th goal I thought was complete crap. He got shoved into Price by Markov, couldn't get a chance to get out of the way and Price goes down like he got the shot with the flopping. That call reminded of the Senators-Canadiens game last Saturday when Montreal got all those late calls for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad