Proposal: Montreal and Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It’s just called common sense. You do not retain long term on a player like Carey Price. Someone will take him at full hit and Montreal will keep the retention slot AND cap flexibility.

That whole package doesn’t even come close to getting you Suzuki

Yes it does in year 3-4-5. Just look at Toronto’s issues with the cap from the past 3-4 years and tell me they wouldn’t take that Kessel retention back. It’s unnecessary and stupid

Any team that has to take on Price at $8.5mm better get Suzuki. Gotta have a cheery asset to throw away that much cap space on the balance of the Price contract.

Your ex GM pulled an Avs 2017. He’s got a bad but expensive vet heavy team that wasn’t meant to tank. Avs couldn’t unload many bad contracts either back then. Habs find themselves in that same spot today. Expensive team of overpaid vets that are losing. It’s a bad place to be.

Reactions: Gjman2019

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Any team that has to take on Price at $8.5mm better get Suzuki. Gotta have a cheery asset to throw away that much cap space on the balance of the Price contract.

Your ex GM pulled an Avs 2017. He’s got a bad but expensive vet heavy team that wasn’t meant to tank. Avs couldn’t unload many bad contracts either back then. Habs find themselves in that same spot today. Expensive team of overpaid vets that are losing. It’s a bad place to be.

In all fairness you're asking Montreal to retain millions for 5 years. That is also a big ask.

Reactions: Gravity and HabsQC

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The way you could send Price to Edmonton for both sides and make it work so that Montreal doesn't have to retain a ton of cash is try some LTIR stuff where Shea Weber is sent with Price.

The thing is I think you can only do this in the summer because you are allowed to go over the cap by 10% (8+ million over the cap), so you could maybe do it that way, put Weber on LTIR in the off-season and then that salary basically covers a lot of Price's salary.

Maybe you can do this in-season too, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding trading LTIR in-season.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Nah you’re dead wrong. Worst case scenario is Montreal will take back short (2-3 years) terms bad contract and get young players/draft picks as compensation. Arizona last summer is the best example we’ve seen. Teams will pay to dump bad contracts and upgrade them for better players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The way you could send Price to Edmonton for both sides and make it work so that Montreal doesn't have to retain a ton of cash is try some LTIR stuff where Shea Weber is sent with Price.

The thing is I think you can only do this in the summer because you are allowed to go over the cap by 10% (8+ million over the cap), so you could maybe do it that way, put Weber on LTIR in the off-season and then that salary basically covers a lot of Price's salary.

Maybe you can do this in-season too, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding trading LTIR in-season.

I don't think it works that way. You don't save cap space if you add Weber's LTIR contract on top of Price. LTIR contracts allow you to go over the cap yes but Weber's cap hit equals the amount you can go over and there are issues with LTIR contracts if you are forced to put them on LTIR before the season starts.

This does not help the Oilers create cap room

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think it works that way. You don't save cap space if you add Weber's LTIR contract on top of Price. LTIR contracts allow you to go over the cap yes but Weber's cap hit equals the amount you can go over and there are issues with LTIR contracts if you are forced to put them on LTIR before the season starts.

This does not help the Oilers create cap room

It would in the summer though because you can go over the cap, so it's kind of could be used in that way. You have to be sure Weber is definitely never coming back though for that to be an option.

The summer doesn't have to be strict dollars in/dollars out is my understanding anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It would in the summer though because you can go over the cap, so it's kind of could be used in that way. You have to be sure Weber is definitely never coming back though for that to be an option.

The summer doesn't have to be strict dollars in/dollars out is my understanding anyway.

No, it don't work that way. LTIR contracts don't increase your cap space to an advantage. Difficult to explain all the details involved. Maybe another poster helps you on that.... I got to log out at the moment.

Oiler fans? Do you think adding Weber's LTIR contract helps create cap space so you can add Price at full cap hit? Even this summer? :sarcasm:

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
It’s just called common sense. You do not retain long term on a player like Carey Price. Someone will take him at full hit and Montreal will keep the retention slot AND cap flexibility.
No it's not common sense. You don't know what's being discussed for starters. Pretty much anywhere you look or hear, it's been said that most likely MTL will have to retain some.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
In all fairness you're asking Montreal to retain millions for 5 years. That is also a big ask.
Yes, that proposal from a Habs fans was out of touch.
Price isn't getting back a young NHLer like Bouchard + 1st even with 3-4M retention.
But there's no way we give Suzuki, just to dump Price. It doesn't make any sense for us. What team could afford that anyway? The coyotes, but Price would likely not waive to go there.

IMO we could/should get value back for Price (1st + b prospect) only if these elements happen :
- Price is open to move to multiple teams
- Either the Habs accept to retain a good portion of the salary (2.5-5M) or they take back a medium term cap dump (probably the best scenario for both teams, since Price will probably finish on LTIR before the end of his contract).
- Price comes back from injury and plays a good 10-12 games before trade deadline.
- Bonus : a few contenders get bad goaltending or injuries in net to fire up the market.

If that doesn't happen, we are better of keeping him then retaining long term for next to no value. We won't really need the cap space for the next few years, but might need it in 4-5 (hopefully). By that time, Price will most likely be on LTIR or retired and won't be a cap issue.

barrie colts

Feb 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Is this based on all the cups Price has won?
Are you implying Price is not a quality goalie to a team on the verge of a cup run?
Look at what he did for Montreal almost by himself.
I don't see another team willing to part from a good #1 goalie for the next 2-3 years.

Don't forget a 2nd round is coming back with Price, pick # 33-35 (they suck so bad)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Ya i guess a legit shot at the cup isn't worth Bouchard and 1ST.

Are you implying Price is not a quality goalie to a team on the verge of a cup run?
Look at what he did for Montreal almost by himself.
I don't see another team willing to part from a good #1 goalie for the next 2-3 years.

Don't forget a 2nd round is coming back with Price, pick # 33-35 (they suck so bad)

No I am implying that adding Carey Price is most definitely not worth trading away your top pairing 22 year old RHD and a 1st. If a team wants another teams #1 RHD and a first, the player coming back better not have any red flags - Price has many at the moment including current playing status, age, cap hit, health. The ask of Bouchard and a 1st for Price even at 50% retained seems out of touch with reality to me.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Price is just not right for Edmonton.

As for the OP, swap Paquette for Armia with some retention and its a deal.

Holland is clearly not trading the 1st for a rental but Armia at bottom 6 money would make it worth it.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Edmonton needs a goalie.... Are they willing to risk it????

Mtl: Price (2M retain)
Kulak (900K Retain)
2nd 2022
Total CAP is 9.6 M or so

Edm : Koskinen (4.5M)
Turris (1.65 M)
Bouchard (850K)
Lavoie (Minor)
1st 2022 or 2023 (top 10 Protected)
+Cap space is 1.8M

Cap is not perfect but it's a starting point... Price still on the sideline for a month or so might get the numbers to be good.
The price to take Price at 8.5m would be a first so we definitely are not paying a first and a top flight prospect to get him.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Has Price even played this year?
No. He spent a month in the employee assistance program and now he’s rehabbing his knee from the injury last season. He’s skating and expected back sometime after Christmas

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No. He spent a month in the employee assistance program and now he’s rehabbing his knee from the injury last season. He’s skating and expected back sometime after Christmas
Thanks.

Sounds like a solid guy to go with Mike Smith this year :DD

Why the hell are Oiler fans wanting to trade Koskinen for another goalie who isn't playing? That's a head scratcher.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Edmonton needs a goalie.... Are they willing to risk it????

Mtl: Price (2M retain)
Kulak (900K Retain)
2nd 2022
Total CAP is 9.6 M or so

Edm : Koskinen (4.5M)
Turris (1.65 M)
Bouchard (850K)
Lavoie (Minor)
1st 2022 or 2023 (top 10 Protected)
+Cap space is 1.8M

Cap is not perfect but it's a starting point... Price still on the sideline for a month or so might get the numbers to be good.

You are not getting a #2 dman for that load of crao

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think this would work but I think it's only possible in the summer

Carey Price @2 mill retained
Shea Weber (LTIR)

for

EDM 1st 2023 or 2023
Kassian (has to be some cap going out)
Smith (probable LTIR also)
Ryan (cap dump)

Edmonton goes 8 million over the cap in the summer, but then puts Weber on LTIR and that ends up being the majority chunk of Price's salary.

I guess if Montreal doesn't want Kassian again they can just send him elsewhere.

Montreal gets their 1st round pick that they would want for their rebuild and doesn't have to retain something crazy ridiculous like $4-$5 million. Edmonton gets Price but uses Weber's LTIR to be able to fit him into their salary structure.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Since the standing is so tight in the a West and Edmonton is only 2 points to be out of the wild card and with a decimated defence.

Montreal offers, Ben Chariot at 1m retention and Cedric Paquette.

for

Edmonton 2022 1st and top ten protected, Kyle Turris and Tyler Benson.

easy from the no from the Oilers. Oilers not giving a first for a rental

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Ya goalies that give your team a legit shot at the cup usually have negative value.
When his cap hit is 10.5m per and has 4yrs left after this yr and hasnt played this year. Not only that the last 4 yrs hes had one good season. So i mean yes definitely doesnt have positive value at 10.5m

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Most insiders seem to think Chiarot will return a 1st. He’s even the number 1 target on TSN’s trade board. Nothing is assured but that’s the chatter.
Will Edmonton step up to pay that price? No idea.

I get that... I just hope Edmonton doesn't pay that price. If we're trading a first, I would hope for someone better, preferably with term. No point in spending a first on him since he's not the guy who will put us over the hump to win the Cup.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Nobody is coughing up a first rounder for Ben Chariot. The only reason 1st rounder is linked to Ben Chariot is because it's Montreal's initial asking price. Montreal will be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him.

Will see but i really think a GM will give a 1st for him an maybe more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad