Proposal: Montreal and Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
When his cap hit is 10.5m per and has 4yrs left after this yr and hasnt played this year. Not only that the last 4 yrs hes had one good season. So i mean yes definitely doesnt have positive value at 10.5m
. There was the mention of retaining

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
. There was the mention of retaining
How does retaining make sense for Montreal? To get to where it might be worth the risk they would need to retain 50%. And even then the return likely isn't as good as Habs fans would want. And then they have to go sign another starter so they don't even get cap relief.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No I am implying that adding Carey Price is most definitely not worth trading away your top pairing 22 year old RHD and a 1st. If a team wants another teams #1 RHD and a first, the player coming back better not have any red flags - Price has many at the moment including current playing status, age, cap hit, health. The ask of Bouchard and a 1st for Price even at 50% retained seems out of touch with reality to me.
Ya i was mixing up Bouchard. My bad. But a 1st and a top prospect is what i would be looking for with retention on Price. Of course a cap dump would need to come back but nothing that doesn't end by the end of next season.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Evans and Lekh are not available. Allen is far more valuable than Koskinen. Try again.
depends on which Jake Allen you're talking about. there's at least 3 different goalie personalities in that body, and 2 of em ain't very good at the hockeys

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
The way you could send Price to Edmonton for both sides and make it work so that Montreal doesn't have to retain a ton of cash is try some LTIR stuff where Shea Weber is sent with Price.

The thing is I think you can only do this in the summer because you are allowed to go over the cap by 10% (8+ million over the cap), so you could maybe do it that way, put Weber on LTIR in the off-season and then that salary basically covers a lot of Price's salary.

Maybe you can do this in-season too, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding trading LTIR in-season.
does EDM ownership have the deep pockets to pay for Price AND Weber?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think this would work but I think it's only possible in the summer

Carey Price @2 mill retained
Shea Weber (LTIR)

for

EDM 1st 2023 or 2023
Kassian (has to be some cap going out)
Smith (probable LTIR also)
Ryan (cap dump)

Edmonton goes 8 million over the cap in the summer, but then puts Weber on LTIR and that ends up being the majority chunk of Price's salary.

I guess if Montreal doesn't want Kassian again they can just send him elsewhere.

Montreal gets their 1st round pick that they would want for their rebuild and doesn't have to retain something crazy ridiculous like $4-$5 million. Edmonton gets Price but uses Weber's LTIR to be able to fit him into their salary structure.
iirc, the problem here is, if you put weber on LTIR BEFORE the season starts, you don't get full cap relief (I believe in this case it'd be ~6m instead of the full 7.8)
so to get the full cap relief, Weber would have to be on the roster on day 1

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers' fan talking about other team tanking?:huh:

I couldn't blame the Habs if they did though ! The way things are going, they could be in line for guys like Wright or Savoie or Nemec in this years draft and a chance at Bedard next year. Might be worth it, just don't drag it out over 10 years like the Oilers did !! :facepalm:

Reactions: HabsQC

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
iirc, the problem here is, if you put weber on LTIR BEFORE the season starts, you don't get full cap relief (I believe in this case it'd be ~6m instead of the full 7.8)
so to get the full cap relief, Weber would have to be on the roster on day 1

Nah, teams can get nearly full relief in the off-season or day 1, all comes down to roster juggling and the LTIR formulas.

The issue is acquiring Weber’s LTIR contract wouldn’t increase the Oilers or any other team’s free cap space.

Reactions: HabsQC

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Nah, teams can get nearly full relief in the off-season or day 1, all comes down to roster juggling and the LTIR formulas.

The issue is acquiring Weber’s LTIR contract wouldn’t increase the Oilers or any other team’s free cap space.
I believe it does, but not 100% sure. STL went thru it with steen and tarasenko

and the issue with the cap space is, they have to be able to fit him in originally, THEN put him on LTIR... again, pretty sure how that works

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I believe it does, but not 100% sure. STL went thru it with steen and tarasenko

and the issue with the cap space is, they have to be able to fit him in originally, THEN put him on LTIR... again, pretty sure how that works

I know exactly how it works. There are two different formulas for training camp LTIR vs day 1 LTIR. Neither is inherently better. Each individual team LTIR situation has to be analyzed to determine which option provides for the best roster manipulation to maximize LTIR relief. In some situations day 1 is better, in others training camp is better or even mandatory.

p.s. I assume you’re talking about day 1 LTIR vs training camp, and not about whether acquiring Weber provides free cap space since it wouldn’t.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
With respect, I'd be shocked if Bear ever becomes as good as Bouchard will.
Bear is already what he is and will be for the next forseeable future. A 2nd/3rd pair journeymen D man that teams may dump a 3rd or 4th come playoff time in case of injuries. Bouchard looking more and more legit and will become irreplaceable by any journeymen D.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Nobody is coughing up a first rounder for Ben Chariot. The only reason 1st rounder is linked to Ben Chariot is because it's Montreal's initial asking price. Montreal will be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him.
:laugh:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Everybody and their grandmother knows that Price will be LTIR'ed 2-3 years from now, max.

So the "his contract hold negative value" narrative isn't accurate.

I don't pretend Price's value is extremely high, but if Habs take some big contracts back, a late 1st + suspect clearly isn't out of the way.
maybe if they retain like 50%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad