Proposal: Montreal and Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Edmonton needs a goalie.... Are they willing to risk it????

Mtl: Price (2M retain)
Kulak (900K Retain)
2nd 2022
Total CAP is 9.6 M or so

Edm : Koskinen (4.5M)
Turris (1.65 M)
Bouchard (850K)
Lavoie (Minor)
1st 2022 or 2023 (top 10 Protected)
+Cap space is 1.8M

Cap is not perfect but it's a starting point... Price still on the sideline for a month or so might get the numbers to be good.
Bouchard is going nowhere. Not even if Montreal offered Suzuki. Bouchard is a very important piece of the oilers future and is irreplaceable. Blue chip young D man cost controlled don't grow on trees.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I'm curious. Is there a single Edmonton fan that wants Chiarot for a protected 1st?
Oilers have other issues than D. Adding Chiarot without blowing the bank is fine. The oilers next move should be for a bottom 6 forward, not D. If one of Ceci or Keith is out long term then maybe Chiarot would be an option but you are not getting a 1st.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd much, much rather find bad contracts to take in return, Price is likely to end up on LTIR and retained salary still counts for the retaining team. Whereas if we got a guy like Vlasic in return, the acquiring team gets the LTIR once Price bows out.

But finding the right team with the right contract will make this a complicated trade to figure out, but I don't see another way to do this without undue risk for one of the teams involved.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Youre high if you dont think to get rid of price you wont have to retain. Its the same as thinking chariot is going to get a 1st. Keep price at 10.5 and ben can walk at the end of the year.

They will find a suitor most likely this summer and they won’t retain. They’ll even get a couple of decent assets for him. They will take 1-2 bad short term contract to make the $ work though and yes, Ben Chiarot is getting a first round pick back.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In anyways, I think that Mtl and Edmonton make a lot of senses, as far as trading partners goes.

Edmonton will need depth (a whole lot of it), if they want to get serious in the playoffs, and that's all we have.

Guys like Toffoli or Hoffman, Chiarot or Edmunson (or Petry?), Price or Allen, would improve Edmonton a lot I think.

We would have to get paid of course, because we're not in the charity business, but I think trades could be made between them

I'd love to add Edmundson. What would the ask be? I really like Price, but the salary and term as well as the fact that he hasn't played a game yet this season has me not looking at giving up much for him.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I think this would work but I think it's only possible in the summer

Carey Price @2 mill retained
Shea Weber (LTIR)

for

EDM 1st 2023 or 2023
Kassian (has to be some cap going out)
Smith (probable LTIR also)
Ryan (cap dump)

Edmonton goes 8 million over the cap in the summer, but then puts Weber on LTIR and that ends up being the majority chunk of Price's salary.

I guess if Montreal doesn't want Kassian again they can just send him elsewhere.

Montreal gets their 1st round pick that they would want for their rebuild and doesn't have to retain something crazy ridiculous like $4-$5 million. Edmonton gets Price but uses Weber's LTIR to be able to fit him into their salary structure.

I think you don’t clearly understand how the cap works.
Getting Price and Weber increases your cap by $18M in the summer and puting Weber in ltir during the season only reduces his salary leaving your cap at $10M

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Bouchard is going nowhere. Not even if Montreal offered Suzuki. Bouchard is a very important piece of the oilers future and is irreplaceable. Blue chip young D man cost controlled don't grow on trees.
he doesn't grow on trees but he's gonna be ripe for an offer sheet

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
well luckily Oilers have over 24M in capspace the year after next with contracts of Keith, Koekkoek, Klefbom, Ryan, Smith and Shore all expiring
Koskinen could also be offloaded to free up cap if required.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
we're in a salary cap era.

Would Carey price help the oilers win the cup? No doubt he would but...

10.5M cap hit for this season + 4 seasons. (even if we retain 2M)

He hasn't played this year because he had drug problem.

and he's 34 years old...
yeah.. that contract is lethal

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Everybody and their grandmother knows that Price will be LTIR'ed 2-3 years from now, max.

So the "his contract hold negative value" narrative isn't accurate.

I don't pretend Price's value is extremely high, but if Habs take some big contracts back, a late 1st + suspect clearly isn't out of the way.

Seattlebjprice

Nov 6, 2021
Everybody and their grandmother knows that Price will be LTIR'ed 2-3 years from now, max.

So the "his contract hold negative value" narrative isn't accurate.

I don't pretend Price's value is extremely high, but if Habs take some big contracts back, a late 1st + suspect clearly isn't out of the way.

Well, there’s a few challenges:

Even if Habs or a third party, such as Arizona, provide cap pathway for a bad contract(s) for the acquiring team, the acquiring team still has to have 10.5AAV plus their goaltending backup taken away from their roster’s cap.

If not for all the Covid stuff, it’s no big deal. But with it, this is a gigantic negative IMO. Even if it’s likely for 3 years only...that potential 12-13 million away from 82 is a tough pill to swallow.

More than half of the league is cap in cap out and this offseason will just make it worse, as the coming list of UFAs is gigantic, currently includes a handful of core pieces from legit contenders (Johnny hockey, Geno, Klingberg, Hertl, Palat, etc etc) and includes goalies.

So for me, full stop right there. I don’t need to mention that Price hasn’t played this year yet, or that he has missed substantial time previously, to say that his contract has net negative value.

For me it is just the result of the cap squeeze from Covid. If Habs want value they have to keep some of that cap to themselves IMO.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I've seen my fellow Oiler fans say the team's defense is fine when healthy and I just shake my head. The Oilers' defense is okay when healthy but not good. They definitely need a solid upgrade on the back-end. If I'm the GM, and I'm looking to move the 1st, I'm looking for a better player than Chiarot, who is a solid defenseman himself. I would absolutely make a trade for Chiarot, but I'm not sure he's the guy I'd want to move the 1st for.

Ultimately, I do think he returns a first round pick from someone though.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I've seen my fellow Oiler fans say the team's defense is fine when healthy and I just shake my head. The Oilers' defense is okay when healthy but not good. They definitely need a solid upgrade on the back-end. If I'm the GM, and I'm looking to move the 1st, I'm looking for a better player than Chiarot, who is a solid defenseman himself. I would absolutely make a trade for Chiarot, but I'm not sure he's the guy I'd want to move the 1st for.

Ultimately, I do think he returns a first round pick from someone though.

I 100% endorse this statement. I think they still need 2 d-men, right and left, mid pairing, to solidify the back end. The a 1A goalie, a 3C and probably a top six RW.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
We will see about that. If Chiarot do get a first would you admit you are wrong.

I like Chiarot but I don't want to see the Oilers give up a 1st just for a few month rental because, although I think he will help, he's not going to put the D over the top ! The Habs have a lot of winger depth that I think the Oilers could use one of and would like to see a winger come with Ben as well. Then the Oilers would have my blessing to trade their 1st rounder, and/or Yamamoto, and or last year's 1st rounder Xavier Bourgault. There's definitely a match between these 2 teams for a trade or two !! o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad