Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's pretty top notch asset management, especially in the context of the improved draft and their ability to use those picks to target players like Dach and Newhook. However, I do think they need veteran glue players like Monahan. I think they need a Danault like center. And an elite talent too. What's their timeline and how will they acquire them ? That's what I'm looking forward to in the next two-three years.
You can almost bet that the Winnipeg pick will be used to acquire a young player.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

People like to say that year doesn't count either, Even though imo, it was the toughest year of all to make a run.

People forget about the mid year firing, and no practice time because covid issues forced the team to play an ungodly schedule across Canada for the final two months of the season.

The year started off well, but things derailed and injuries mounted, and they somehow got it back on track in the most challenging circumstances.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
People like to say that year doesn't count either, Even though imo, it was the toughest year of all to make a run.

People forget about the mid year firing, and no practice time because covid issues forced the team to play an ungodly schedule across Canada for the final two months of the season.

The year started off well, but things derailed and injuries mounted, and they somehow got it back on track in the most challenging circumstances.
Are you guys forgetting that had the team not been moved to the Canadian division they would never had made the playoffs? My strongest memories of that year was Pittsburg going through the motions in the first round so they could go home. It wasn't real.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Do you think it's a good idea for Joshua Roy to come up and incorporate the habits of Gallagher, Anderson, and Armia into his game?

The idea isn't to have any random old guy on the team, it's to have guys with the habits that you want to instill in your young guys.

I'm aware of the contempt for Gallagher on these boards, but to question if it's a good idea that our youth are subjected to his habits is bewildering to me. His work effort is exemplary regardless of his effectiveness. He would still go through a wall for this team if his body allowed. Noone should question that he leads by example regardless of some of his mistakes.

To surmise being around such a player as a detriment doesn't wash for me.

Anderson is still a leader on and off the ice for this team, a big brother type, that dearly needs his size and speed. There is nothing to suggest a guy like Josh is also someone who you wouldn't want your "kids" to be around, even with his inconsistencies

Armia is Armia.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

I didn’t think their schedule was that bad to end that season. In their last 27 games they played 17 at home and only made one trip out west to play Edmonton and Calgary. The rest of their away games during that 27 games were in either Ottawa or Toronto.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Where's the Jets pick likely to be if they get bounced in the first round?

I’m not sure if this was answered. It depends if they win their division or not. If they do win their division the earliest the pick can be is 25. If they don’t I expect it to be in the 20-26 range (if they lose in either the 1st or 2nd round).

Reactions: Gravity

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I know I would move Savard if offered a 1st, but I also understand why some might not. And honestly I don't think Hughes has given much indication to which side of the fence he's on. Most people think he would because that's what they personally want to see happen and so assume Hughes must want the same thing they want.

I don't think he moves him this year, but maybe next year with hughes mailloux and reinbacher getting closer to making the big team, unless it's an offer he can't refuse.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
And if the lists created by the scouts was generally good and it was Timmins making the final decision then wouldn't it make sense that Hughes keeps most of the scouting staff and is fine with doing little more then hire Bobrov?
Could be possible, we dont have enough info as outsiders to say, except that there is definitely something off in some aspect of the scouting department.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I didn’t think their schedule was that bad to end that season. In their last 27 games they played 17 at home and only made one trip out west to play Edmonton and Calgary. The rest of their away games during that 27 games were in either Ottawa or Toronto.

It was bad. After the Habs had their latest covid outbreak, they played everyday or every other for the last 50 days of the season.

Never did they get two days off from that point, and if I remember correctly, the playoffs also started 1 day after the Habs played their final regular season game. Injuries began to mount, and there was no practice time available.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It was bad. After the Habs had their latest covid outbreak, they played everyday or every other for the last 50 days of the season.

Never did they get two days off from that point, and if I remember correctly, the playoffs also started 1 day after the Habs played their final regular season game. Injuries began to mount, and there was no practice time available.

Yeah they did play a lot of games in a short time in their last 25 games (25 games in their last 44 days). As a note their last regular season game was May 12th that season and their 1st playoff game wasn’t until May 20th, so they did get a break before the playoffs started.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah they did play a lot of games in a short time in their last 25 games (25 games in their last 44 days). As a note their last regular season game was May 12th that season and their 1st playoff game wasn’t until May 20th, so they did get a break before the playoffs started.

Ahh okay, thanks for that correction.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Nice, but it depends what they do with the pick of course. This team lacks veteran support but I guess they promised Monahan a trade but I hope they look for support this summer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nice, but it depends what they do with the pick of course. This team lacks veteran support but I guess they promised Monahan a trade but I hope they look for support this summer.

It actually sounds like Monahan w as noted to sign here long term, but his contract demands were too high.

I'm hoping he doesn't mesh in the peg, doesn't get what he wants in the summer on the open market, and re-signs here on the terms Hughes is ready to give him. But that's probably a pipe dream.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Could be possible, we dont have enough info as outsiders to say, except that there is definitely something off in some aspect of the scouting department.
Absolutely it could be possible which is why saying there definitely is something off is complete BS. There was something off with our drafting/development. The new GM came in made a few changes and now we don't know if it was enough to fix whatever it was that was wrong or not.

Early indications are that actually things are better, lots of picks have had seasons that beat most expectations, but since it's not the NHL it's still too early to say for sure.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Guess

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I don't think he moves him this year, but maybe next year with hughes mailloux and reinbacher getting closer to making the big team, unless it's an offer he can't refuse.
I agree. I think he likely moves Kovacevic if the price is close to right and Barron comes back to stay now and through next year. I believe that the only reason, in context considering ALL our D struggled defensively this year, that Barron was the one to go down was to give Kovacevic some playing time to showcase in case he needs him in a deal. Barron is the only RD who is waiver exempt. Gorton hinted as much in a recent interview. Mind you, he won't turn down a mind-blowing offer for Savard.

Another year of Savard gives us time to ready Reinbacher and Mailioux. So our future RD in 26/27 is likely: Barron, Reinbacher, Maillioux

Reactions: Garnet76 and Nedved

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Evans is capable of playing 2nd line minutes on a "shutdown" role at least until the end of the season. I'm suspicious they'll put Newhook in at center for the remainder of the season too.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Sean is gone but he will always be a Hab in my heart. He gave what he could which was more than expected since it wasn't know if he would ever play again. Got him for nothing and he returned two firsts and for that alone he should get his number retired and up among the greats. That won't happen but he will always be cherished by many. Good luck in Winnipeg and have fun going for the cup.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
if things go well its a 22nd overall. Not terrible for a great asset flip. In case people forget peg has our 39th OA pick(or so) this year so we moved up in the draft like everyone complains about. This is better for scoring a better draft pick (lots more Dmen to be had in the top 10 this year! lol) by losing a bit more. Ill take it as a decent return regardless of where it is. If we get a 3rd later its a bonus, but throwing darts at 3rds is still a good strategy, because like the lotto, if you don't play, you can't win.

Everyone complaining about the draft position-lots of good players are available late first. middle 6 have value to be flipped for assets later. In 3 years this player might be the trading part (if we don't flip the pick early) as a prospect for a better player. Same as we want to trade for prospects, so do other teams. Harris or Baron and this pick for a top 6 winger. We have lots of Dmen but need to give something to get something. So hughes is giving himself options. Leverage is important so you don't get gallaghered as a GM.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
2 1st for Monahan is great. No matter how you see it.

What's more important is that we didn't wait too much before he injures himself and you get nothing. And we didn't retain salary.

Just positive. Not as explosive as some would have wanted but just fine asset management.
Not retaining is the key. He can take on a bad contract with this space and maybe score another asset. if we traded him to get some cap space to take a short term bad contract and a 2nd/ 3rd thats another small piece that can help us.

I feel liek by giving himself lots of room to make trades at the deadline it gives us a lot more room to move someone into a position to make a mistake and give us something more than they would otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad