Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 60M/yr scam artist, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
10 years of Bergevin and he couldn't get a 1st round pick or a Center to save his life.

Hughes in 2 years got 2 centers, 3 1st rounders... but trades are hard.

Michel Therrien Therrien GIF - Michel Therrien Therrien Habs - Discover &  Share GIFs

:sarcasm:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hate to see Monahan go. Way Hughes talked in presser doubt he's back. But I guess it is what it is

It will depend on the market for him in the summer. He fit so well here, I'm sure Hughes would like to bring him back at the right cap hit and term. But the market msu pay more. Also, Monahan is a loyal guy. If he does well with the Jets, he probably will re-sign with them.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It will depend on the market for him in the summer. He fit so well here, I'm sure Hughes would like to bring him back at the right cap hit and term. But the market msu pay more. Also, Monahan is a loyal guy. If he does well with the Jets, he probably will re-sign with them.
or what KH does to get scoring, maybe no room for him

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
or what KH does to get scoring, maybe no room for him
I have no doubt Hughes will land scoring forwards — not optimistic that there will be a superstar-type in the lot as it’s a tall order (some luck needed at the draft).

However, not likely Hughes lands so many so fast that there wouldn’t be a spot for Monahan. It all depends on what terms Monahan is willing to take.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I have no doubt Hughes will land scoring forwards — not optimistic that there will be a superstar-type in the lot as it’s a tall order (some luck needed at the draft).

However, not likely Hughes lands so many so fast that there wouldn’t be a spot for Monahan. It all depends on what terms Monahan is willing to take.
a couple 20-30 goal guys would be awesome

Reactions: cphabs

durojean

May 29, 2007
It was bad. After the Habs had their latest covid outbreak, they played everyday or every other for the last 50 days of the season.

Never did they get two days off from that point, and if I remember correctly, the playoffs also started 1 day after the Habs played their final regular season game. Injuries began to mount, and there was no practice time available.
Their schedule was bad, but the other team in that season had the same circumstances which makes the point not valid. It was fair competition.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Their schedule was bad, but the other team in that season had the same circumstances which makes the point not valid. It was fair competition.

The noose was tightened more on certain teams like montreal. They had to suspend the season temporarily due to covid when the league itself was still up and running, and that is what caused the last 2 months of the season for them to be condensed even further than your typical team.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Hughes probably didn't want to use the cap needed to sign Monahan until he sees what happens at the trade deadline, draft day and who is available in free agency. Should nothing materialize he may make Monahan a decent offer.

Jul 6, 2016
At some point Habs will have to keep their good vet players, not only a bunch of youngsters. This team would be better with Toffoli, Lehkonen and Monahan (and Danault). I am all for a reconstruction, but at some point, you need solid vets.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
At some point Habs will have to keep their good vet players, not only a bunch of youngsters. This team would be better with Toffoli, Lehkonen and Monahan (and Danault). I am all for a reconstruction, but at some point, you need solid vets.

Yes agreed, but in a few years. There's no point in doing a rebuild if you're keeping your vets and just hoping to make it as the 8th seed. That was virtually all that Bergevin did and it just leads to perpetual mediocrity.

Monahan is a special case though. We could have kept him (or tried to anyways as he's a UFA), and he could have gotten hurt next week, and we would have ended up with nothing.

When this team will start competing for a spot in the playoffs, we will keep our solid vets....This is year 2 of the rebuild, we still need to maximize the value of the few pieces we have.

Jul 6, 2016
Yes agreed, but in a few years. There's no point in doing a rebuild if you're keeping your vets and just hoping to make it as the 8th seed. That was virtually all that Bergevin did and it just leads to perpetual mediocrity.

Monahan is a special case though. We could have kept him (or tried to anyways as he's a UFA), and he could have gotten hurt next week, and we would have ended up with nothing.

When this team will start competing for a spot in the playoffs, we will keep our solid vets....This is year 2 of the rebuild, we still need to maximize the value of the few pieces we have.
Who will be our solid vets ? Matheson and Savard ??? Gallagher ???? Armia and Dvorak ???? and if it takes even longer, Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle ?

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Who will be our solid vets ? Matheson and Savard ??? Gallagher ???? Armia and Dvorak ???? and if it takes even longer, Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle ?

Vets can be traded for, signed as UFA's or even picked up on waivers.

Who knows where the team will be at in a few years.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
10 years of Bergevin and he couldn't get a 1st round pick or a Center to save his life.

What a load of crock. Bergevin got his share of centers:

Nick Suzuki for a decrepit Pacioretty. He's our best player and our captain.

No Canadien has had more points in a season than Max Domi in the last 17 years.

Bergevin also packaged two assets that weren't worth more than your evaluation of his work and acquired Phillip Danault and a 2nd rounder with that. Danault is only one of the best two-way centers in this league. But yeah, no centers.

The second rounder became Romanov, BTW. That as an instrumental asset Hughes used to get Dach.

As for first rounders, any GM who is liquidating assets and tanking can get first rounders. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully on board with the current strategy but Bergevin never got the mandate to rebuild from Molson.

I'm curious to see how Hughes will manage a team with the mandate to compete. If he gets to the point where the team stops sucking. But right now, to even suggest he's been more effective at getting centers is extremely premature.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Bergevin also packaged two assets that weren't worth more than your evaluation of his work and acquired Phillip Danault and a 2nd rounder with that. Danault is only one of the best two-way centers in this league. But yeah, no centers.

The second rounder became Romanov, BTW. That as an instrumental asset Hughes used to get Dach.

As for first rounders, any GM who is liquidating assets and tanking can get first rounders. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully on board with the current strategy but Bergevin never got the mandate to rebuild from Molson.

I'm curious to see how Hughes will manage a team with the mandate to compete. If he gets to the point where the team stops sucking. But right now, to even suggest he's been more effective at getting centers is extremely premature.
Suzuki was a lucky break because he was likely asking for Glass. Domi outside of one good year has been 3rd line material. Danault was a good move.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Suzuki was a lucky break because he was likely asking for Glass. Domi outside of one good year has been 3rd line material. Danault was a good move.
As per the Athletic:

The Canadiens definitely wanted a young, A-prospect, as Bergevin said, but it was not necessarily Suzuki they were after. From an organizational standpoint, the Canadiens were hoping to land Erik Brännström because he was a puck-moving, left shot defenceman, something they badly needed at the time. Remember, the Canadiens were playing Shea Weberwith Victor Mete back then. They also had their eye on Cody Glass. Ultimately, the Canadiens decided they would be happy with any one of the three Vegas first-round picks from the 2017 NHL draft, so they left the decision in the Golden Knights’ hands.

How the Canadiens took a bad situation and turned it into Nick Suzuki

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

It defies common sense and logic, how Mol$on let that damn clown run the team for TEN freaking years, and not once pick a direction, no all in, or no all out..................FFS...............................makes my blood pressure, boil..................................Brutal.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He got lucky on Suzuki.....................................Vegas controlled the narrative, and Bergevin as we know wanted Glass.....................the others you mentioned did not move the needle one bit.

Bergevin rode a hall of fame goalie until his knees gave out..............................oh ya, he did give us Davey Desharnais during Price's best years..........LOL

Bergevin is now a coffee boy and helped the Kings land, wait for it.................PLD!! LOL
40 pts for 8.5M bucks!! LOL

You will not convince anyone on this board, that the Clown was a good GM...............Back to the absolute fact, Bergevin did NOT land us a First Round Draft Pick his entire 10 years, until KK signed an offer sheet, he then promptly gave away the 1st for.............wait for it,.............Dvorak, oh yes another Centre!! Pure, Gongshow................

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
As per the Athletic:

The Canadiens definitely wanted a young, A-prospect, as Bergevin said, but it was not necessarily Suzuki they were after. From an organizational standpoint, the Canadiens were hoping to land Erik Brännström because he was a puck-moving, left shot defenceman, something they badly needed at the time. Remember, the Canadiens were playing Shea Weberwith Victor Mete back then. They also had their eye on Cody Glass. Ultimately, the Canadiens decided they would be happy with any one of the three Vegas first-round picks from the 2017 NHL draft, so they left the decision in the Golden Knights’ hands.

How the Canadiens took a bad situation and turned it into Nick Suzuki
And Vegas picked the only good player out of the 3.

Reactions: Andrei79

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Tell by way Hughes talked he's not coming back.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Suzuki... Who he didn't choose

Danault... Who he refused to re-sign, preferring instead to trade a 1st & 2nd for Dvorak & extend Gallagher with a franchise anchor contract.

Domi... Whom he dumped in short order for the equally lackluster Anderson

Was this post an attempt at comedy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad