Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
January 18th
2 years Hugues is the GM of the Habs

He took Toffoli, Chiarot, Lehkonen, Petry, Romanov, Hoffman, Pitlick, Edmundson, Poehling, Kulak and his cap space and turned it into:

Dach
Matheson
Newhook
Hutson
Barron
Heineman
Mesar
Konyuschkov
2024 1st round pick
2024 2nd round pick
2024 3rd round pick
2024 5th round pick
2025 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

Now Hugues is in a mental position going into the summer
Loaded with pick for 2 years
Loaded with young NHLer + prospects on the verge on entering the show
Loaded with Cap Space with a full line-up already signed for next year

I mean... disliking or hating some choices Hugues has made is one thing, but this is just fantastic asset management.

2 years later and there's no way I would trade a 1st or even Hutson for any of the players traded by Hugues.....
Pretty much this. Shedding Shea Weber's cap hit should also be listed here.

That said, the value he has brought in remains a paper value until it turns into good NHL players. That's why I can't agree with the last statement until a 1st or a Hutson proves to be more impactful than Toffoli or Lehkonen.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Pretty much this. Shedding Shea Weber's cap hit should also be listed here.

That said, the value he has brought in remains a paper value until it turns into good NHL players. That's why I can't agree with the last statement until a 1st or a Hutson proves to be more impactful than Toffoli or Lehkonen.
It doesn't really matter whether they are as impactful. Toffoli and Lekhkonen didn't fit the time line anyway.

Reactions: LaP and themilosh

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It doesn't really matter whether they are as impactful. Toffoli and Lekhkonen didn't fit the time line anyway.
Ok. So had he traded each of them for a 7th round pick it would have been good work, because it "doesn't really matter" if the return is impactful and they "didn't fit the timeline"?

What kind of logic is that when evaluating a GM?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't think he moves him this year, but maybe next year with hughes mailloux and reinbacher getting closer to making the big team, unless it's an offer he can't refuse.
In what world this 34 yr who fits 2nd pairing D at his very best or 3rd D pairing on a packed team, another year of contract, that overrated D here brings a 1rst round pick, even a very late pick?
Maybe with 50% retention, a team must be desperate as hell to do that. 5% chances it could happen. His value is more of a 3rd. A good vet like him gone for a 3rd round pick?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
In what world this 34 yr who fits 2nd pairing D at his very best or 3rd D pairing on a packed team, another year of contract, that overrated D here brings a 1rst round pick, even a very late pick?
Maybe with 50% retention, a team must be desperate as hell to do that. 5% chances it could happen. His value is more of a 3rd. A good vet like him gone for a 3rd round pick?
There are only 1 or 2 decent defensemen available. And yes it would probably require retention which is why it would cost more. And because he is useful to work with the prospects there is no reason to let him go unless it is an overpayment.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Ok. So had he traded each of them for a 7th round pick it would have been good work, because it "doesn't really matter" if the return is impactful and they "didn't fit the timeline"?

What kind of logic is that when evaluating a GM?
AS impactful. As long as the return even approaches the value of Lekhonen and Toffoli it was worth doing.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Sean is gone but he will always be a Hab in my heart. He gave what he could which was more than expected since it wasn't know if he would ever play again. Got him for nothing and he returned two firsts and for that alone he should get his number retired and up among the greats. That won't happen but he will always be cherished by many. Good luck in Winnipeg and have fun going for the cup.
[/QU
All the best

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There are only 1 or 2 decent defensemen available. And yes it would probably require retention which is why it would cost more. And because he is useful to work with the prospects there is no reason to let him go unless it is an overpayment.
A good vet is usefull for the youngs. He stays calm and the young learn from him in many situations. That have a value for the team. But IF a 1rst is bring to the table, then KH must take the deal.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
For added context, the Jesse Pollock character from Bardown is a Jets fan and took the opportunity to throw a barb at Suzuki over the Monahan trade that had happened only half an hour before the livestream. You can tell how much Suzuki is affected by the loss of Monahan. Totally classless, juvenile behavior from clown Jesse.

Who is the wish version of Steve O that keep being an obnoxious moron.

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A good vet is usefull for the youngs. He stays calm and the young learn from him in many situations. That have a value for the team. But IF a 1rst is bring to the table, then KH must take the deal.
Yes. I think a first would be too much to pass up. Even a very late 1st at least replaces the early 2nd MB gave away (with a first for a player inferior to Savard).

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He will be fine and hope he does well on a much better team
For an aging player who has missed approximately 120 games over the past 5 seasons I would respectfully suggest that your optimism for Monahan’s continuing durability is misplaced.

I wouldn’t bet on it. Nor would it appear would Hughes.

In all the circumstances, including Monahan’s long history of fragility and the current state of the team’s re-build, it was a very provident transaction.

Hughes avoided overreaching ( an important consideration in any transaction) while securing a substantial return for a player who realistically was not in the team’s long term plans.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For an aging player who has missed approximately 120 games over the past 5 seasons I would respectfully suggest that your optimism for Monahan’s continuing durability is misplaced.

I wouldn’t bet on it. Nor would it appear would Hughes.

In all the circumstances, including Monahan’s long history of fragility and the current state of the team’s re-build, it was a very provident transaction.

Hughes avoided overreaching ( an important consideration in any transaction) while securing a substantial return for a player who realistically was not in the team’s long term plans.
Ya good post but he played well with Habs this year sooooo maybe he will do well in jetland

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Ya good post but he played well with Habs this year sooooo maybe he will do well in jetland
Agreed. Let’s hope that this is one of those rare trades that works out well for both teams.

Monahan, a class act, provided leadership and a role model for his young teammates while he was here.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
it must be weird for him not to be in smurfville and to have an offensive gameplan moving forward. Do they also employ the awesome drop pass PP move in the Peg????

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
it must be weird for him not to be in smurfville and to have an offensive gameplan moving forward. Do they also employ the awesome drop pass PP move in the Peg????
They do everywhere.

It's just that the better PP teams don't only do that.

Habs have to diversify to do a better job. They started a little bit lately. I hope they can pick it up.

Reactions: Habs

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Every team uses the drop pass on the power play. The Oilers drop it to McDavid. The Islanders drop it to Barzel. The Avs drop it to MacKinnon. Etc. etc.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad