Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Especially after this season, now that Hughes has stated that they are moving on from being on asset accumulation mode.

That Monahan pick is not as valuable on its own given how late it will be but could have great appeal when used in a package for something else.
Exactly, a late 1st rd pick does have value on it's own. Though it makes more sense to add to it, to get something of greater value.

Reactions: Runner77

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Monahan nets 2 first round picks...that is a master class on being a GM.
I don't think Bergevin had the intellect to do stuff like this.

It's pretty top notch asset management, especially in the context of the improved draft and their ability to use those picks to target players like Dach and Newhook. However, I do think they need veteran glue players like Monahan. I think they need a Danault like center. And an elite talent too. What's their timeline and how will they acquire them ? That's what I'm looking forward to in the next two-three years.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's pretty top notch asset management, especially in the context of the improved draft and their ability to use those picks to target players like Dach and Newhook. However, I do think they need veteran glue players like Monahan. I think they need a Danault like center. And an elite talent too. What's their timeline and how will they acquire them ? That's what I'm looking forward to in the next two-three years.
I agree that solid vets like Monahan are very needed. You have to insulate your younger players. We are about to witness a lottery team over the next 32 games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On a purely transactional basis, absolutely.

That only bears fruit if combined with top notch pro and amateur scouting otherwise Hughes’ efforts get subsequently diluted.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They might see Savard as that glue guy, but I think people vastly underrate or overlook Caufield's impact on the locker room and how he is someone who brings everyone together. Several players have mentioned how his joy coming to the rink is infectious but he's also a guy who can be serious when it calls for it and has an outstanding work ethic.

Going into next 2-3 years you also assume that Suzuki would be a guy who takes players under his wing and shows them how to be a pro and the work that needs to be put in everyday to have success. Like sure he'd still be relatively young but in 2 years that would mean he's a 7 year vet and he does have a playoff story to tell as well so the need for that grizzled vet is probably less.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They might see Savard as that glue guy, but I think people vastly underrate or overlook Caufield's impact on the locker room and how he is someone who brings everyone together. Several players have mentioned how his joy coming to the rink is infectious but he's also a guy who can be serious when it calls for it and has an outstanding work ethic.

Going into next 2-3 years you also assume that Suzuki would be a guy who takes players under his wing and shows them how to be a pro and the work that needs to be put in everyday to have success. Like sure he'd still be relatively young but in 2 years that would mean he's a 7 year vet and he does have a playoff story to tell as well so the need for that grizzled vet is probably less.

I think Hughes is ready to move Savard if he's offered a 1st.

Reactions: Tyson

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
I agree that solid vets like Monahan are very needed. You have to insulate your younger players. We are about to witness a lottery team over the next 32 games.

the-simpsons-excellent.gif

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think Hughes is ready to move Savard if he's offered a 1st.
I know I would move Savard if offered a 1st, but I also understand why some might not. And honestly I don't think Hughes has given much indication to which side of the fence he's on. Most people think he would because that's what they personally want to see happen and so assume Hughes must want the same thing they want.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know I would move Savard if offered a 1st, but I also understand why some might not. And honestly I don't think Hughes has given much indication to which side of the fence he's on. Most people think he would because that's what they personally want to see happen and so assume Hughes must want the same thing they want.
Well last year when asked if he would move Montembault, he said Sam's going nowhere (Montembault va nul part). When asked about Savard he said my phone is open for everyone.

We know Savard is getting traded this year or next. So it's just a matter of what offers come in.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well last year when asked if he would move Montembault, he said Sam's going nowhere (Montembault va nul part). When asked about Savard he said my phone is open for everyone.
Then as an example of why Savard would be available if acquiring McDavid.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Then as an example of why Savard would be available if acquiring McDavid.
Yes, I interpreted that as his way of not sounding desperate. After Chiarot was traded, Hughes said when he took the job he knew from day 1 he was going to trade Chiarot. But he never announced that until after the trade.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed, but they shouldn't/won’t be investing long term money meant for core players, for these veteran type of players.

Monahan was great for the Habs but let's be honest, he's a good player on a bad team. He's not moving the needle for a team like the Habs like he might for a more competitive team.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yes, I interpreted that as his way of not sounding desperate. After Chiarot was traded, Hughes said when he took the job he knew from day 1 he was going to trade Chiarot. But he never announced that until after the trade.
Which goes back to my original point you interpreted him saying he would trade Savard for McDavid as him wanting to trade Savard but just keeping his cards close, but it's equally valid to interpret I'd trade Savard for McDavid as saying it's never going to happen because Savard it would take an unrealistic overpayment. But you came to your interpretation pretty much entirely because you want Savard traded for a 1st (Something I do as well), it's just a case of hearing what you want to hear.

Monahan was great for the Habs but let's be honest, he's a good player on a bad team. He's not moving the needle for a team like the Habs like he might for a more competitive team.
The reason you want a good vet like Monahan around isn't because he moves the needle and turns a bad team into a good team, it's because he mentors/teaches the young guys the right habits that they will need to hit their potential. It's also why you can't just have any old vet and consider it job done because not all vets have those right habits you want to instill.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Which goes back to my original point you interpreted him saying he would trade Savard for McDavid as him wanting to trade Savard but just keeping his cards close, but it's equally valid to interpret I'd trade Savard for McDavid as saying it's never going to happen because Savard it would take an unrealistic overpayment. But you came to your interpretation pretty much entirely because you want Savard traded for a 1st (Something I do as well), it's just a case of hearing what you want to hear.

The reason you want a good vet like Monahan around isn't because he moves the needle and turns a bad team into a good team, it's because he mentors/teaches the young guys the right habits that they will need to hit their potential. It's also why you can't just have any old vet and consider it job done because not all vets have those right habits you want to instill.
Your interpretation of my interpretation is based on what you want to read into it/hear ;)

My hunch is he's ready to trade Savard now. It's not because I want him to. I wanted to re-resign Monahan, but my hunch was that he would be traded. It is what it is. My hunch is based on words uttered, but also body language, his history, etc...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Actually future consideration nets 2 first round picks and a bunch of conditional picks (whose conditions will more than likely not be met).

Reactions: Tyson

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Players that haven’t played a game. Cool. I’d love to draft them though. Doesn’t automatically mean Montreal is a force or if they even pan out. We have picks to do things. Have you ever even seen the percentages on players that even play one game in the nhl? Including first round picks. I’m not saying trade all of our picks at all. They have flexibility
I'm really liking what i see from Cayden Lidstrom

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We have more than enough vets under contract for next season with Gallagher, Anderson, Matheson, Savard, Armia.

Reactions: 417

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Dear gawd it took lightning 8wks to remember the coffee likes for the guys in LA, no he's never had the intellect for something like that.

• Haha
Reactions: cphabs and Tyson

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We have more than enough vets under contract for next season with Gallagher, Anderson, Matheson, Savard, Armia.
Do you think it's a good idea for Joshua Roy to come up and incorporate the habits of Gallagher, Anderson, and Armia into his game?

The idea isn't to have any random old guy on the team, it's to have guys with the habits that you want to instill in your young guys.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Do you think it's a good idea for Joshua Roy to come up and incorporate the habits of Gallagher, Anderson, and Armia into his game?

The idea isn't to have any random old guy on the team, it's to have guys with the habits that you want to instill in your young guys.
He can incorporate the habits of Suzuki. Suzuki will be 25 next season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't disagree, however, the money has to make sense and as much as I like Monahan, 4+ years at 5M+ is not something I'd do and it doesn't appear that Hughes would either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad