Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If anyone had said at the time we obtained Monahan. That we'd end up with two 1st rd picks. We'd all be thrilled, you bunch of spoiled little bitches lol

shocked-burn.gif

:)

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If anyone had said at the time we obtained Monahan. That we'd end up with two 1st rd picks. We'd all be thrilled, you bunch of spoiled little bitches lol
Many of us believed or at the very least hoped Monahan could recapture some of his past glory and net us a return, lo and behold he came through for us.

As you said, it was a win with the 1 first round pick. 2 of them? It’s just gravy. No one should be bitching in the slightest.

I don’t think Hughes left much if any value on the table here. Slight chance he goes for more at the last minute of the deadline, but then you also run the risk of him getting injured between now and then for nothing.

Risk management was key here.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Many of us believed or at the very least hoped Monahan could recapture some of his past glory and net us a return, lo and behold he came through for us.

As you said, it was a win with the 1 first round pick. 2 of them? It’s just gravy. No one should be bitching in the slightest.

I don’t think Hughes left much if any value on the table here. Slight chance he goes for more at the last minute of the deadline, but then you also run the risk of him getting injured between now and then for nothing.

That's the issue. We could have waited and maybe got a bit more. Or we could be left with nothing as you mentioned. Bottom line is we received more than our money's worth for Monahan. Not only the two 1st rd picks, but the benefits (knowledge) he's provided our young players.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That's the issue. We could have waited and maybe got a bit more. Or we could be left with nothing as you mentioned. Bottom line is we received more than our money's worth for Monahan. Not only the two 1st rd picks, but the benefits (knowledge) he's provided our young players.

That’s also a huge benefit we got for him, I’m glad you brought that up.

He fit in so well with Suzuki/Caufield/Slaf and I’d like to think he played a part in Suzuki’s improvement in the face off circle.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
I'm a really glad we have a smart and elite management group leading the Habs. They will make mistakes, but I feel confident. As a fan, it's a relief. We're not stuck in a toxic one way relationship anymore. I remember numbing my brain, eyes half closed, avoiding the obvious, wishing instead of thinking. I remember dark times where I would wonder if a group of just average HF posters would do I a better job building the team.

Edit: also, Sean Monahan.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That's the issue. We could have waited and maybe got a bit more.
Tough call.

Hughes said an interesting tidbit. There are teams right now that are not sellers that might become sellers closer to March 8. This could shift the market and not in our favour making us lose this 1st pick.

We had a 1st for Monahan and it was good to lock it imo.

We are the one responsible for unrealistic expectations for top prospects. These are usually not traded for rental, and Monahan comes with a lot of question mark. Take for example Lindholm, VAN did not paid Lekkerimaki/Wallinder or any of their top guns too.

The overall Monahan situation where we created two 1st out of future considerations and had 74 games of Monahan and his leadership is incredibly awesome.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
That’s also a huge benefit we got for him, I’m glad you brought that up.

He fit in so well with Suzuki/Caufield/Slaf and I’d like to think he played a part in Suzuki’s improvement in the face off circle.
A lot of fans don't realize that there's a human aspect to each situation. As you mentioned, Monahan fit in and became an important part of the team right away. Adding a player with his experience was definitely beneficial IMO. Add the contribution he made on the ice. As well as what we were able to get for him asset wise. I would do that trade or one similar to it 10 times out of 10.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Or you also run the risk of other gms finding some other option on the market while you are kicking your feet in the sand.

Other gms don't want to wait that long either and want to get their targets acclimatized to the team sooner than later.

Eventually, you could end up in a situation where you have less leverage than today, and judging by the last couple trade deadlines, the dominoes do seem to be falling earlier than previous years so you don't want to be left with your tail between your legs at the deadline either.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Tough call.

Hughes said an interesting tidbit. There are teams right now that are not sellers that might become sellers closer to March 8. This could shift the market and not in our favour making us lose this 1st pick.

We had a 1st for Monahan and it was good to lock it imo.

We are the one responsible for unrealistic expectations for top prospects. These are usually not traded for rental, and Monahan comes with a lot of question mark. Take for example Lindholm, VAN did not paid Lekkerimaki/Wallinder or any of their top guns too.

The overall Monahan situation where we created two 1st out of future considerations and had 74 games of Monahan and his leadership is incredibly awesome.
Absolutely, and since we don't have access to the information HuGo had. We're all just spectulating on what was offered or available. Personally I think he made the right decison.

Couldn't have said the second bolded part better myself. Vancouver was able to get a top 2 center without giving up anything vital.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Monahan offered 74 games of work ethic and positive attitude. Not one bad word about him from anyone other than maybe he was boring but he owned it and it made him endearing, lol. Not just to fans but his teammates as well.

Just look at Suzuki’s reaction when he found out about the trade.

The org talked about instilling a winning culture and yet, all they had to do was use Monahan as a role model. He offered a blueprint on what it takes to be a pro, both on and off the ice and hopefully the young core learned from him.

Sure, he was no longer that player he was before his massive health issues but he never quit and clawed his way back. Quality individuals like him always leave a void when they’re gone on account of all the intangibles they offer. I had the same impression of Toffoli when he was here — it felt as though players enjoyed being around him.

That’s why I wish nothing but the best to Monahan, especially once he’ll have moved out of the Peg. :sarcasm:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
sure... let's wait and see on that
I bet Kent picks a player in 2024 with it. and does not move it
His history shows otherwise Sammy. What makes you think this time is different?

Monahan offered 74 games of work ethic and positive attitude. Not one bad word about him from anyone other than maybe he was boring but he owned it and it made him endearing, lol. Not just to fans but his teammates as well.

Just look at Suzuki’s reaction when he found out about the trade.

The org talked about instilling a winning culture and yet, all they had to do was use Monahan as a role model. He offered a blueprint on what it takes to be a pro, both on and off the ice and hopefully the young core learned from him.

Sure, he was no longer that player he was before his massive health issues but he never quit and clawed his way back. Quality individuals like him always leave a void when they’re gone on account of all the intangibles they offer. I felt the same way when Toffoli was here — it felt as though players enjoyed being around him.

That’s why I wish nothing but the best to Monahan, especially once he’ll have moved out of the Peg.
Agreed, which is why if HuGo wasn't offered a good deal. A lot of us wouldn't have been too disappointed if we had re-signed him. Or if it's decided the team signs him as a UFA.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Absolutely, and since we don't have access to the information HuGo had. We're all just spectulating on what was offered or available. Personally I think he made the right decison.

Couldn't have said the second bolded part better myself. Vancouver was able to get a top 2 center without giving up anything vital.
I'm surprised the 1st is not conditional personally so he did good. Monahan was not going to return the same as Giroux did 2 years ago. An unconditional 1st round pick was the best case scenario imo.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not really. He picked a player with Calgary's pick from the Toffoli trade. It depends where the pick is and what the offers are. KH will do mistakes down the road but he looks like a very level headed GM. If he feels like the player he could draft have more potential than the return he'll pick a player.

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm surprised the 1st is not conditional personally do he did good. Monahan was not going to return the same as Giroux did 2 years ago. An unconditional 1st round pick was the best case scenario imo.

Well, whether its conditional or not is a calculated risk on the jets part, I guess.

I have a hard time envisioning a team that is 18 games over 500 at this point of the season will somehow fall into a lottery position. Clearly the jets don't think so either or else they wouldn't be going after Monahan in the first place.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well, whether its conditional or not is a calculated risk on the jets part, I guess.

I have a hard time envisioning a team that is 18 games over 500 at this point of the season will somehow fall into a lottery position. Clearly the jets don't think so either or else they wouldn't be going after Monahan in the first place.
I meant conditional to him playing an amount of games like 50% of playoffs games or minimum of 20 games something like that. We got a 1st no matter what happens next.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The closest we can come to the cards Hughes held and the table he was playing them at, is the vivid account of Pierre LeBrun who was first to break the story, and who offered an interview about how it all went down.

Hughes had set a baseline return that either involved certain prospects he liked or failing that, a first round pick. He struck out on all the prospects he tried to pry away.

And no one was making serious offers on Monahan, until … 5 teams jockeyed for Lindstrom. That changed everything. The 4 left holding the proverbial bag, scrambled over the next best C available on the market and that’s when calls started pouring in for Monahan.

Only 2 teams showed very serious interest. One was the Peg, obviously, and the other was one of NYR, BOS and COL (LeBrun did not know the exact identity of the 2nd team but said it would come out eventually).

So, down to 2 teams and still no first rounder on the table. Hughes was not budging on his demands. Peg at that point became antsy and didn’t want to lose out again as it had with Lindstrom. So that’s when they upped the ante and met Hughes’s price.

From Hughes’s standpoint, it became a no-brainer — Monahan’s injury history precluded waiting until the deadline. The Lindstrom deal was the major inflection point that raised the ante on Monahan. Hughes also considered that he was able to make the deal without retention while honoring his word to Monahan that he’d trade him to a contender.

We may not have been there with Hughes but the guy who was first to break the trade, had privileged access to info, and delivered.

Last edited:
Reactions: bopeep

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I meant conditional to him playing an amount of games like 50% of playoffs games or minimum of 20 games something like that.
Ahh okay. That makes more sense.

It's probably due to multiple teams being interested in Monahan, which gave Hughes the leverage to get an unconditional pick.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Not really. He picked a player with Calgary's pick from the Toffoli trade. It depends where the pick is and what the offers are. KH will do mistakes down the road but he looks like a very level headed GM. If he feels like the player he could draft have more potential than the return he'll pick a player.
Fair enough, but dealing high draft picks for deals involving Dach and Newhook. Does show that it's not a slam dunk that he'll pick a player with the 1st pick we just got in the Monahan trade.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

That's not the only risk. What if Brisebois changes his mind at the last moment and puts Stamkos on the table? It would be like Ekholm and Orlov spoiling the market for d-men last year.

Instead of getting more for Monahan, we could have ended up with less by waiting

Last edited:

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Or we can walk away from the '24 draft with Cayden lidstrom and Dean Letourneau. Hows that for size down the middle?
Players that haven’t played a game. Cool. I’d love to draft them though. Doesn’t automatically mean Montreal is a force or if they even pan out. We have picks to do things. Have you ever even seen the percentages on players that even play one game in the nhl? Including first round picks. I’m not saying trade all of our picks at all. They have flexibility

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Agreed, which is why if HuGo wasn't offered a good deal. A lot of us wouldn't have been too disappointed if we had re-signed him. Or if it's decided the team signs him as a UFA.
I just don't think he's building and I don't think the Winnipeg pick will be part of anything to to get a star maybe he's looking at UFA

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I just don't think he's building and I don't think the Winnipeg pick will be part of anything to to get a star maybe he's looking at UFA
He is building though. That's why he's spent all this time accumulating draft picks. The pick by itself obviously won't get your a star. BUT, maybe with a few additions, it might increase his chances.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The lottery pick that the trade helped our chances of getting a higher pre-lottery position is the place to get a star. So in that aspect the trade helped us get a star. Then, you hope Hughes can use the late 1st to get a Dach like player (Kakko?) or draft a Pastarnak. We did get Lane in the late 2nd. The more darts the better.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair enough, but dealing high draft picks for deals involving Dach and Newhook. Does show that it's not a slam dunk that he'll pick a player with the 1st pick we just got in the Monahan trade.
Especially after this season, now that Hughes has stated that they are moving on from being on asset accumulation mode.

That Monahan pick is not as valuable on its own given how late it will be but could have great appeal when used in a package for something else.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad