Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That why I’m surprised KH wasn’t able to squeeze a little more… But I guess a 1st was good enough of a squeeze…
Maybe he could have squeezed a little more. But that would mean waiting for the deadline. Money you have in hands is better than more money in the future. The risk was too big to say no to an unconditional 1st round pick.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
He’s been healthy all year.? Last years injury was unrelated to previous injuries. The injury risk is overblown. Anyone can get hurt.

Not quite, he has had significant injuries that have slowed him down a lot. Everyone around the league knows that.

Overblown, if KH waited and he did get hurt people would have lost their minds.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Not quite, he has had significant injuries that have slowed him down a lot. Everyone around the league knows that.

No, I wanted to keep him, so I wouldn’t have lost anything.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I would guess Monahan likely wants more term than we're comfortable with. A GM like Lou will give it to him for the 2-3 years of value Monahan will actually provide. I would be comfortable going up to 4 years but no more. The truth is his legs are already failing him and he's only going to get slower. It's the same issue as Toffoli, who I could honestly see coming back here if his offers aren't great, but I suspect Lou will also overpay.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If Monahan’s injury record was immaterial, Hughes could have extracted way more.

Glad he didn’t overplay his hand.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Monahan’s injury record was immaterial, Hughes could have extracted way more.

Glad he didn’t overplay his hand.
IMO, HuGo key rebuild strategy as already demonstrated is to upgrade assets via Dach / Newhook type deals.

Unfortunately I don’t believe a 25-32OA pick holds much value at all & even if packaged w a young D not named Guhle and maybe Struble won’t get an underachieving young NHL ready top-6 asset

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
IMO, HuGo key rebuild strategy as already demonstrated is to upgrade assets via Dach / Newhook type deals.

Unfortunately I don’t believe a 25-32OA pick holds much value at all & even if packaged w a young D not named Guhle and maybe Struble won’t get an underachieving young NHL ready top-6 asset

Adding 1sts opens up all kinds of possibilities. Heck, if they don’t win the lottery they can possibly dangle that pick and still have a first round pick left.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There’s an obvious talent drop off at the slot that pick is likely to end up in.

It can be used as currency to move up by combining it with other assets or for an already drafted player — either of those works.

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
View attachment 814036
I have a black belt in derailing threads.
Sad to see you don’t use your talents on the main board anymore.
54B8B090-9A1A-4E40-A59F-7214E2381975.gif

Attachments

• A34F6CAB-7D2E-4B61-9BB5-60C14D1F2221.gif
    A34F6CAB-7D2E-4B61-9BB5-60C14D1F2221.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 3

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Sad to see you don’t use your talents on the main board anymore.
View attachment 814152
I never had much of presence there. I take a few minutes off to goof off in between grant-writing trances or course preps (I'm a prof now, I have two proposals going out next week, including one massive one to NIH). As a long-time expat, the Habs community was my sanctuary to ward off homesickness, as I morphed from JapanMontrealExpat, to GermanyMontrealExpat, to NCarolinaMtlExpat, to VirginiaMtlExpat.

I do chime in now and then on the main board, but there is an inherent (sometimes vitriolic) bias against fans of certain teams, and that's not my vision of these boards. I don't take them seriously enough to get that worked up, mindful of that Mark Twain expression about arguing with a fool.

• Love
Reactions: Runner77 and Coffee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s been healthy all year.? Last years injury was unrelated to previous injuries. The injury risk is overblown. Anyone can get hurt.

Also, we have to keep in mind that we're not privy to all the information about his past injuries and risk of self-injury. But we do know it's been multiple years in a row that Monahan has had reoccurring injury problem - that's why Calgary gave us a 1st to take the last year if his contract.

But yeah, I was hoping for Kuzmenko and a 1st before the Lindholm trade.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I feel bad for people having to pay hard earned money to watch this team the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad