Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Everyone would have prefered a player like Lambert and that conditional 3rd 2027 is such a joke why include it...
That being said after earing the CGY GM speak I think most team were pretty conservative with there offers and trading Monahan for anything is found money, there is no point in trying to wait out team to squeeze a extra 4th round pick a taken a risk that Monahan could get injuered or new player could become available and be left with nothing.

For Montreal, if we were getting a 1st round pick regarless of the team, I think WPG was the ideal team because they are likely to face Dallas or Colorado in the first round and second round, which would make it less likely that the reach the final 4 and there for a better pick.

For the Jet I don't understand fan saying it is a bad deal they took the cheapest guy off the market so now COL will have a harder time making a move when they already had less cap space. This not only help them be a better playoff team but it could put them over the top to win the division, which would make their playoff a lot easier.
If WPG loses in the first round, it was a bad trade, if WPG win the division or makes it to the semi or more than it is a great trade.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
January 18th
2 years Hugues is the GM of the Habs

He took Toffoli, Chiarot, Lehkonen, Petry, Romanov, Hoffman, Pitlick, Edmundson, Poehling, Kulak and his cap space and turned it into:

Dach
Matheson
Newhook
Hutson
Barron
Heineman
Mesar
Konyuschkov
2024 1st round pick
2024 2nd round pick
2024 3rd round pick
2024 5th round pick
2025 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

Now Hugues is in a mental position going into the summer
Loaded with pick for 2 years
Loaded with young NHLer + prospects on the verge on entering the show
Loaded with Cap Space with a full line-up already signed for next year

I mean... disliking or hating some choices Hugues has made is one thing, but this is just fantastic asset management.

2 years later and there's no way I would trade a 1st or even Hutson for any of the players traded by Hugues.....

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
For the Jet I don't understand fan saying it is a bad deal they took the cheapest guy off the market so now COL will have a harder time making a move when they already had less cap space. This not only help them be a better playoff team but it could put them over the top to win the division, which would make their playoff a lot easier.
If WPG loses in the first round, it was a bad trade, if WPG win the division or makes it to the semi or more than it is a great trade.
It's a good point. Colorado needs to add a center and they don't have any space left. Monahan was their best bet. Winnipeg adds Monahan but they also make sure Colorado doesn't add him.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
January 18th

He took Toffoli, Chiarot, Lehkonen, Petry, Romanov, Hoffman, Pitlick, Edmundson, Poehling, Kulak and his cap space and turned it into:

Dach
Matheson
Newhook
Hutson
Barron
Heineman
Mesar
Konyuschkov
2024 1st round pick
2024 2nd round pick
2024 3rd round pick
2024 5th round pick
2025 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

I mean... disliking or hating some choices Hugues has made is one thing, but this is just fantastic asset management.

2 years later and there's no way I would trade a 1st or even Hutson for any of the players traded by Hugues.....
Hughes player evaluations ability are still TBD…but his ability stockpile assets is such a refreshing approach for this organization

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hughes player evaluations ability are still TBD…but his ability stockpile assets is such a refreshing approach for this organization
Both Player evaluations and player development decisions. Slaf IMO should not have been in the NHL last season. Agreed on gaining assets. But, they've had Monahan for 2 seasons and have yet to use the asset(s) for him.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
January 18th

Dach
Matheson
Newhook
Hutson
Barron
Heineman
Mesar
Konyuschkov
2024 1st round pick
2024 2nd round pick
2024 3rd round pick
2024 5th round pick
2025 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

He's doing great but Dach and Newhook have been plagued by injuries. Hutson is turning into a star in the juniors and Matheson into a NHL top D. Remains to be seen if all these picks turn into something. Kent still needs to find a way to unload Gallagher, Armia and Price. Anderson, Savard and Dvorak are overpaid. Allen is Ken's mistake though. Lots of work to do still. But getting 2 firsts for an injury prone player past his prime is history in the making. Not even Sam Pollock could pull that off. It could just be that those 2 firsts will produce the next stars of this franchise.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It's a good point. Colorado needs to add a center and they don't have any space left. Monahan was their best bet. Winnipeg adds Monahan but they also make sure Colorado doesn't add him.
That why I’m surprised KH wasn’t able to squeeze a little more… But I guess a 1st was good enough of a squeeze…

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I know some are doing victory laps. I disappointed we traded him and even more disappointed with the return. Thought his play warranted a 1st and b level prospect. The late first likely nets us nothing and the 2027 3rd rounder is pretty pointless. I figured since KH moved him so quickly he would have done better than this.

I’m quite disappointed tbh. Hopefully millertime is right and we can sign him in the summer. Him going to Winnipeg might help the cause. I doubt he enjoys his experience so much that he won’t sign elsewhere lol.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know some are doing victory laps. I disappointed we traded him and even more disappointed with the return. Thought his play warranted a 1st and b level prospect. The late first likely nets us nothing and the 2027 3rd rounder is pretty pointless. I figured since KH moved him so quickly he would have done better than this.

I’m quite disappointed tbh. Hopefully millertime is right and we can sign him in the summer. Him going to Winnipeg might help the cause. I doubt he enjoys his experience so much that he won’t sign elsewhere lol.
Waiting for him to get injured would not have been wise, ala last year.
I wouldn't mind seeing him come back this summer, couple of years, at 3-4M per, and get rid of Dvorak.
He is not staying in the Peg once the playoffs are over.

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
That why I’m surprised KH wasn’t able to squeeze a little more… But I guess a 1st was good enough of a squeeze…

He might have been able to squeeze a firm 3rd or a mid-prospect but that wasn't worth it.
Injuries could have play a role but also like last year, teams making unexpected players available and screwing up the market.

The 1st is really the only pick that matters here and as a bonus, we keep our last spot and don't have to retained any money, making it possible to get some added value from there.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

As a fans of both teams, I know that Monahan can adapt but I cant blame Avs to stick to DNA of the team and target more Frost or Henrique (which I wouldnt realy like to get) We'll see how Avs will figure it. Sure thing, if Monahan is traded that soon during the All-Stars week-end, I think the Avs wasnt there and probably less team than we think.

Reactions: calder candidate

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Scouting is the big question mark for me. Zero trust in them. And as GM, I hold Hughes accountable for their picks.
Yeah no doubt that's going to be a big part of it.

But for now this is the “easiest” part of his tenure, he’s essentially stripping down the work done by his predecessor.

The real work will start when it's time to put pieces together to make this team progress to being competitive. By that time, we’ll have more information to judge the work done by his scouts too.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
January 18th

Dach
Matheson
Newhook
Hutson
Barron
Heineman
Mesar
Konyuschkov
2024 1st round pick
2024 2nd round pick
2024 3rd round pick
2024 5th round pick
2025 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

Most.................of what what HuGo has done.................is about getting more 1st round picks, into the lineup. It's crazy how many he has traded for or used picks for, and continues to do so...........

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It sounds like Hughes didn't want to re-sign him because Monahan was asking for a lot. Maybe if no one meets his demands in the summer, he signs here. We'll see it's a long shot.

And as for the return, I think Hughes wanted to make sure he got an offer for at least a 1st and then would take it without risking Monahan getting injured and us getting nothing. I'm sure Hughes wants to use the 1st in a package in a trade for a young player he Hope's to add to the future core. We'll see if he can swing a deal...

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
He might have been able to squeeze a firm 3rd or a mid-prospect but that wasn't worth it.
Injuries could have play a role but also like last year, teams making unexpected players available and screwing up the market.

The 1st is really the only pick that matters here and as a bonus, we keep our last spot and don't have to retained any money, making it possible to get some added value from there.

I think people on here were over valuing SM worth.

I think many on here got carried away with what they thought SM was worth. He wasn’t comparible to Lindholm, too many question marks about his health.

Its a 1rd pick, and is a valuable asset.

I don’t understand how anyone can be disappointed with two 1rd picks for nothing.

It sounds like Hughes didn't want to re-sign him because Monahan was asking for a lot. Maybe if no one meets his demands in the summer, he signs here. We'll see it's a long shot.

And as for the return, I think Hughes wanted to make sure he got an offer for at least a 1st and then would take it without risking Monahan getting injured and us getting nothing. I'm sure Hughes wants to use the 1st in a package in a trade for a young player he Hope's to add to the future core. We'll see if he can swing a deal...

He’ll swing a deal, I’m sure he had irons in the fire.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
January 18th

Dach
Matheson
Newhook
Hutson
Barron
Heineman
Mesar
Konyuschkov
2024 1st round pick
2024 2nd round pick
2024 3rd round pick
2024 5th round pick
2025 1st round pick
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

I think there only 5 things you can question… and they are all minor and could still turn out alright+ it is impossible to only make great moves…

Resigning Allen ( which might be null if he is able to trade him)
Newhook trade, lot of guy I like with those 2 picks a or the ability to move up… But again Newhook might still pop.
Handling of Slaf development… but he is doing well.
The mesar pick was question by almost everyone and there dog with Kulich or Lambert on the board.
Reinbacher, I feel it was a pick for need, if you aren’t picking Michkov and I didn’t have any issue not picking him, I think you have to move down to generate more value knowing that Arizona and Philly would have taken him only make me more confident that he wasn’t BPA, but their still a legit shot that he will be BPA.

Reactions: Milhouse40

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

He’s been healthy all year.? Last years injury was unrelated to previous injuries. The injury risk is overblown. Anyone can get hurt.

Reactions: salbutera

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

What his play warranted is irrelevant. The most anyone was offering was a 1st so Hughes took it. And the injury risk is NOT overblown when a guy is hurt every year with significant injuries and is taking off more and more practices. And he has to go because they were not going to offer the contract he was looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad