Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Very disappointing. I would have preferred a player like Kakko. A late 1st round pick. So a player who will perhaps play in the NHL in 5 years as a bottom 6 player. Or maybe a steal.Monahan is a 6th choice confirmed at his prime

Reactions: Guess

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
While I understand that sentiment, truly I do
These 'tough times' were ALWAYS coming once The new management was hired
THIS is how it feels when you are in the real middle of a rebuild (ask pittsburgh, ask Chicago... they almost lost their entire teams in the process ffs lol)
And no it's not 'fun to watch'
But this is big picture planning

It's not about 'agreeing no matter what with every move HuGo makes like a blind follower' like some choice posters love to spew
It's about not flipping the table in anger hours and days after every move when it'll take 2-3 years to really see if the results are really good or bad

Come 2026 and we're still 25th overall in the standings?
THEN you can start tearing the new team new assholes, because the rebuild will have stalled

But dealing with 'bad hockey now' for the gamble of 'great hockey later' has never TRULY been done with the modern day era of the montreal canadiens
It's not fun right now, but at LEAST we're finally giving it an honest to God shot at potentially being something special in a couple of years

Trust me I hate telling my father 'stay patient' all the time too..
I get it and agree with everything you write. I just really enjoyed this guys’ game and am wincing a bit while fetching more lube. Hopefully a few of these draftees start stepping up. I don’t give them (the org) til 2026 though, let them lose by playing kids that are too young for all that ice time, not on purpose.

At least no Gally for a bit and no more Dvorak is good.

Doesn’t help me at all an effin Maple leaf has as many goals as our two best forwards have points!

Reactions: Redux91

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
THIS is how it feels when you are in the real middle of a rebuild (ask pittsburgh, ask Chicago... they almost lost their entire teams in the process ffs lol)

It's not about 'agreeing no matter what with every move HuGo makes like a blind follower' like some choice posters love to spew
It's about not flipping the table in anger hours and days after every move when it'll take 2-3 years to really see if the results are really good or bad

THEN you can start tearing the new team new assholes, because the rebuild will have stalled

But dealing with 'bad hockey now' for the gamble of 'great hockey later' has never TRULY been done with the modern day era of the montreal canadiens
It's not fun right now, but at LEAST we're finally giving it an honest to God shot at potentially being something special in a couple of years

To an extent I actually have more fun watching these tanking years then I did watching the post Subban years. We play a much more offensive style with MSL which is way more fun then trying to win 2-1, there are very few games where they just give up when down by a couple so even when losing it remains interesting to watch, lots of exciting things to focus on like Cole's scoring magic and the growth of Slaf, and then at the end of the day even if we do lose it doesn't feel as bad because it's it just means a better pick.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I’m glad for Monahan, he was a good soldier, but Slaf I worry about, he seemed to have a good connection with Monahan! If it’s and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Who is this clown interviewer?
Jesse Pollock, cringe incarnate. The other guys and gals on Bardown are fine. He always has his big dumb mouth wide opened.

The only fun content they make are the quizzes imo.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I get their frustration, but I don't think they get just how badly Bergevin ****ed the organization. They were one of the older teams in the NHL with the worst cap outlook and the worst record and no blue chip prospects that hadn't already graduated to the NHL when the new management came in.

Nobody was going to be able to turn this around immediately and rebuilding was basically the only sane option available. Hell, this offseason will basically be the first for them where the free agent market is even a possible source of acquiring talent.

Who knows if HuGo can turn the franchise around, but at least what their doing has a chance of succeeding.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Doesn’t help me at all an effin Maple leaf has as many goals as our two best forwards have points!
Pfff I got the remedy for that one bud
Screen-Shot-2021-09-26-at-2.33.29-PM.png

Never forget :D

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get it and agree with everything you write. I just really enjoyed this guys’ game and am wincing a bit while fetching more lube. Hopefully a few of these draftees start stepping up. I don’t give them (the org) til 2026 though, let them lose by playing kids that are too young for all that ice time, not on purpose.

At least no Gally for a bit and no more Dvorak is good.

That is how they're losing. And Montreal is playing their kids more than almost every team in the NHL, including teams in the same position.

And if you're unwilling to even approach the level of rebuilding the Leafs went through, then why complain about the talent that it got them?

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Very disappointing. I would have preferred a player like Kakko. A late 1st round pick. So a player who will perhaps play in the NHL in 5 years as a bottom 6 player. Or maybe a steal.Monahan is a 6th choice confirmed at his prime
Would have been nice but we would have had to add. I would agree with you though, we need to use assets to target exactly what we need. This just means Hugo will need to be creative to get what he wants, but at least they have several ways they can get it.

I'm really happy we traded him early though. Helps the tank, and avoids a potential injury.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
The amount of complaining in here is mind boggling. We just traded an injury prone player for a top 30 pick, after we got another first round pick for taking him for free!! He could potentially still re-sign here in july. This is masterclass from hughes and should be praised

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Now we agree, this might take a lot of years if Hugo go the way of only picks, but they have shown with Dach and Newhook that they intend to prop up the club with young NHL’ers.

I’m 50/50 on the rebuild thus far, I respect the job they’ve done but I cannot affirm that it’s a slam dunk.

PS do not bring up Expos anymore, I’m still hurt by 94 strike.
Rebuild has been decent but we haven't hit homeruns on all our trades yet (I'm not convinced on Newhook) and our drafting has been meh.

I thought Hughes wanted the team to be top in every facet, how he can look at our scouting staff in comparison to other teams and be happy is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad