Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nobody’s in heaven. Tanking also means putting up with dreadful hockey.

At least we are nearing the end of the tunnel.

The rebuild is more fun than whatever the hell Bergevin did for the last 7 years of his tenure.. other than the one miraculous covid run.

But things are going to start to turn because the talent and prospects are closer and closer to breaking in and breaking out.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
"this isn't playstation"
marc-bergevin-critique-a-los-angeles-7779.jpg

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
the covid run's biggest impact is having to keep specifying "except the covid run" every god damn post

it was all fake I wish we could just forget about it

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I don't think necessary =/ entertaining, personally. Are we seriously going to argue that this year or last year's Habs were playing entertaining hockey?
what are you talkin about? we had a bunch of entertaining games last year and this one, some really shit ones yes but some really entertaining ones as well,

I never been this invested in Habs hockey like these tanking years

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.” -Anne Lamott

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Monahan predictably slotted on the 2nd line with Perfetti and Ehlers.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
2 more things

1. People are acting like we're done moving players away?
This is a CLEAR 'we're sellers' move but nobody seems excited about that?
There's more ammo on the way, and don't be like 'it's just picks I don't care', picks can be added to packages this summer AND it would mean getting rid of actual dead weight hopefully

2. We're 7th ov right now, this and the next moves can turn this into a top 5 or 4 pick possibly, to help secure one of those scoring forwards we NEED to get our hands on, stop talking about the D's lol

I'll miss Sean BIGtime, but this had to be done
And you NEVER know shit you could still re-sign him for a year or 2 but doubtful
A 1st to take Monagan which we haven't even used yet, and another 1st to trade him?
Guys.. this is 'big boy' GMing, Bergevin only thought he was big boy GM because of the dumbbells.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A recap of Hughes first rounder acquisitions (adding detail to @Canadienna ‘s earlier list):

Chiarot: 1st rounder 2023 (31st and 37th traded to Colorado for Newhook)

Toffoli: conditional 2022 1st rounder top 10 protected (drafted 26th, Filip Mesar)

Lehkonen: retained salary for Barron (who was drafted 25th by Colorado in 2020)

Romanov: traded for Kirby Dach who was drafted 3rd OA by Hawks in 2019)

Monahan: 2 X 1st round picks (one in 2024, the other a conditional 1st rounder in 2025)

** there were other pieces in the above deals, focus was solely on first round assets

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I get that it needs to happen but yeah, it's painfully boring to watch games and hard to keep interest.

Ive definitely skipped more games over the last few years than before but honestly, boring hockey has been the general norm here for a while with the occasional period of good play (like our long playoff runs). The biggest difference now is we have a management team who is actually committed to rebuilding and dont have Price to bail us out and lift the team to being a bubble team (although Monty tries his best).

I've comfortable with the rebuild now because we have a management team that is making moves to back up what they have said in terms of rebuilding. This isnt like Bergy who created a mess in 2017, proclaimed a half hearted retool which was basically code for doing nothing and seeing what happenes and then immediately abandoned that at the smallest sign we might be ready to contend again.

Hughes and co have made repeated trades to backup their vision of the rebuild. Whether it pans out in the end is TBD but I think there's no doubt this rebuild is different than past ones here.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The rebuild is more fun than whatever the hell Bergevin did for the last 7 years of his tenure.. other than the one miraculous covid run.

But things are going to start to turn because the talent and prospects are closer and closer to breaking in and breaking out.

Bergevin's tenue truly had no long term vision. He wanted a rebuild it seemed in 2013, but abandoned that once the team showed it was competitive but then he didnt make the proper moves to fully contend (like taking big swings and moving picks and prospects for top players) and then when he voluntarily lost talent (Radulov/Markov) and was forced to rebuild, he gave a half hearted effort by keeping Price and Weber and then abandoned that in 2020 when the team showed a glimpse of hope.

Frankly, had Bergy actually rebuilt in 2018, we could be in a contending peroid now.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
what are you talkin about? we had a bunch of entertaining games last year and this one, some really shit ones yes but some really entertaining ones as well,

I never been this invested in Habs hockey like these tanking years

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.” -Anne Lamott

I mean, yeah, there will be a number of entertaining games any given year.

To each his own for sure but I think what you're describing is more investment in the plan itself (which I agree with) than the product itself. Watching the Canadiens from say, 2004-2017 was largely more entertaining than the last couple of seasons in terms of on-ice product albeit I like St.Louis coaching and philosophy.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
A recap of Hughes first rounder acquisitions (adding detail to @Canadienna ‘s earlier list):

Chiarot: 1st rounder 2023 (31st and 37th traded to Colorado for Newhook)

Toffoli: conditional 2022 1st rounder top 10 protected (drafted 26th, Filip Mesar)

Lehkonen: retained salary for Barron (who was drafted 25th by Colorado in 2020)

Romanov: traded for Kirby Dach who was drafted 3rd OA by Hawks in 2019)

Monahan: 2 X 1st round picks (one in 2024, the other a conditional 1st rounder in 2025)

** there were other pieces in the above deals, focus was solely on first round assets
Technically it's Romanov traded for 1st round...then KH traded it for Dach

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
So many people down about not getting a good prospect/young player for Monahan when in reality this pick will likely be packaged for just that at the draft... when the value of picks are at their all time high. There was no chance we were getting a good young player for Monahan at the trade deadline. Just not realistic. Two firsts and a third for resurrecting Monahan's career is crazy value for Hughes.

Gotta use your brains ladies and gentlemen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin's tenue truly had no long term vision. He wanted a rebuild it seemed in 2013, but abandoned that once the team showed it was competitive but then he didnt make the proper moves to fully contend (like taking big swings and moving picks and prospects for top players) and then when he voluntarily lost talent (Radulov/Markov) and was forced to rebuild, he gave a half hearted effort by keeping Price and Weber and then abandoned that in 2020 when the team showed a glimpse of hope.

Frankly, had Bergy actually rebuilt in 2018, we could be in a contending peroid now.
I’m no Bergevin apologist but ownership directive had to have played a part. They wanted to “win now” when they hired Bergevin, as I recall.

Anyhow, all of a bridge under water and happily behind us.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So many people down about not getting a good prospect/young player for Monahan when in reality this pick will likely be packaged for just that at the draft... when the value of picks are at their all time high. There was no chance we were getting a good young player for Monahan at the trade deadline. Just not realistic.

Only A level rentals get top prospects.. Monahan was a B level rental and the 1st is the absolute top end of what you get for those.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So many people down about not getting a good prospect/young player for Monahan when in reality this pick will likely be packaged for just that at the draft... when the value of picks are at their all time high. There was no chance we were getting a good young player for Monahan at the trade deadline. Just not realistic. 2 first and a third for resurrecting Monahan's career is crazy value for Hughes.

In reality teams doesn’t trade a top prospect for a rental player. Some just don’t understand how trade for rentals work

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I really liked Monahan, he seemed like a steady influence for our young players and a solid pro. HuGo needs to be appreciated for their asset management here as well.

it will be interesting to watch how these picks turn out, Its been fun watching Graig Rivet turn into Suzuki now we can keep an eye on the Moneyhands picks as well as the Petry horn of plenty, lol.
cheers.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Yeah well Bergy and Molson together were never gonna rebuild , and shouldn't have been given the opportunity anyways
They should have. There was no opportunities.

Imagine if we decided to rebuild instead of reset in 2017 when we started to miss the playoffs !
We would have got good assets for Price, Weber, Gallagher, Tatar and we would have probably kept Danault because he was a younger player.

Maybe we would not have made the finals but right know we would be competing every year for the playoffs. Our draft picks would also have been better during those years (at least we mostly picked well)

And we would not have been taken by the cap like we are now so we would have even more munitions to deal with.

Since 2017, we really made the playoffs only one time and it really cost us a lot. We were lucky to go to final that year because we sacrified a lot for that playoff run and it really took everything we had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad