Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They should have. There was no opportunities.

Imagine if we decided to rebuild instead of reset in 2017 when we started to miss the playoffs !
We would have got good assets for Price, Weber, Gallagher, Tatar and we would have probably kept Danault because he was a younger player.

Maybe we would not have made the finals but right know we would be competing every year for the playoffs. Our draft picks would also have been better during those years (at least we mostly picked well)

And we would not have been taken by the cap like we are now so we would have even more munitions to deal with.

Since 2017, we really made the playoffs only one time and it really cost us a lot. We were lucky to go to final that year because we sacrified a lot for that playoff run and it really took everything we had.
The two years we've been in the playoffs since 2017 were definitely under special circumstances. 2020 was because of the play-in and 2021 because of the Canadian division and shorten nature of the season (had the season been another 2-3 weeks I doubt we would have made the playoffs the way we were playing).

Now the 18-19 probably would have made the playoffs in any other year since they got 96 points but still, even if they made it I doubt they would have made it far, when Jordan Weal is seeing PP time and Benn is playing on the 2nd pairing, that doesn't scream cup contender there.

Reactions: Andy

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So from 2009 through 2018 there are just over 100 guys taken from 21 to end of draft. Of those, I eyeballed 17 I consider top 6F and top 4D ( Tahe Thompson, Pesce etc )

So about a 17 % chance of a top player in the bottom part of the 1st round. . However, for a few months of a maybe 2C, it's a great return. Those few months of having him do nothing for us of any consequence aren't worth what we got.

Lol. I bet some are underwhelmed at the chances of drafting a stud.

Reactions: Runner77

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That’s the possibility it opens up. We don’t need the pick per se given the drop off at the spot it likely ends up in, it’s the currency it represents.

And as a younger generation of GMs enters the league, they are more likely to place a premium on futures and may want to pay a decent price for it.
We need more dinosaurs to come back! I want the days of GMs just handing out 1st rounders like trick or treat candy to return.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Friedman couldn't be more transparent.

Before the trade:
"
his base value just isn't a 1st.

He's not a #2C on a contender."

After the trade:
"he just looks so much better now that he's healthy

He looks great!

He looks like a much different player.

He's a really interesting player, it sounds like he's playing on the second line."

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Coming in peace Habs fans.
Can you describe how Monahan has played this year?
Thanks.
Contrary to all the asshats on the trade forum, he's been good. He's a smart player. Deceptively skilled. He's a hardworker and has really soft hands around the goal and behind the goal line.

He's good at protecting the puck and winning board battles. He's not fast, but I've never found his skating to be an issue/prevent him from being involved in the play. He has a lot of patience with the puck and knows how to slow down the play to his benefit.

He can slot anywhere in the lineup and is great in the bumper position on the PP.

I would take him back.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
The return is a little low I expected a pick and a prospect but it it what it is. Without Monahan this team will be unwatchable and is going to tank hard. This gave me another reason to cancel my Disney plus package because I probably won't bother watching the Habs on ESPN+. Also F Disney :laugh:.

• Haha
Reactions: HuGo Sham

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Thanks.

He doesn't have a lot of speed, but he has a lot of smarts. Makes great short area passes and can score in and around the net. A cromulent player in the bumper spot on the powerplay.

He can play great defensive minutes as well by his positioning and ability to stick check.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Contrary to all the asshats on the trade forum, he's been good. He's a smart player. Deceptively skilled. He's a hardworker and has really soft hands around the goal and behind the goal line.

He's good at protecting the puck and winning board battles. He's not fast, but I've never found his skating to be an issue/prevent him from being involved in the play. He has a lot of patience with the puck and knows how to slow down the play to his benefit.

He can slot anywhere in the lineup and is great in the bumper position on the PP.

I would take him back.
Spot on, from my perspective. Hope we get a monster with that pick.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Awesome deal, I will be defiantly be on the bandwagon for the Jets now, of coarse I have to forgive a member on that team for being an idiot.

I feel much better now😇

👀

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Thanks.
Great on face offs
Great on the PP
can also PK
Has size to not get pushed around

You know what? Give him back actually

Lol but for real , he may be a tad on the slower side, but in the playoffs he will be invaluable

Just make sure you lose in round 1 (sorry :D)

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Chili

Time passes when you're not looking
Jun 10, 2004
Did you want Dubois when he was in Winnipeg?
I did. Big centre with offensive upside? A reminder of how fast someone's stock can decline (like Max Domi here a few years ago). Also a reminder of how those mega contracts can help change perceptions.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I seriously doubt it. If it is, the husband won't miss her once traded.
I forgot about that tawdry episode. Or maybe it was in my subconscious.
Speaking of forgetfulness, what will be remembering the least from this day — the inconsequential 3rd rounder from this trade or that Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed) passed away in his sleep on this day?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This forum is the only place on earth anyone is excited about the improbability of the 26th over all pick in 2024 even sniff the nhl some day. The Money line was the last reason to watch games (or having 2 offensive lines for the 1st time since Kovalev). Thank goodness we have the pwhl at least :(
And your alternative would of been?
Let him rot here a couple years as 3C while we're rebuilding..?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Speaking of forgetfulness, what will be remembering the least from this day — that inconsequential 3rd rounder or that Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed) passed away in his sleep on this day?
1706906629132.png

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
could have used picks to trade back to sweeten for a prospect.
our scouting sucks

I'm curious what exactly is is it about our scouting that sucks? This new regime has only been in place for two drafts, and have brought in the likes of Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Fowler etc...

They also traded for prospects in Dach and Newhook which also requires scouting. So even if we traded for another prospect, you'd be having to trust the scouting department on that as well.

It's too early to be making judgments on this teams scouting prowess or lack thereof.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm curious what exactly is is it about our scouting that sucks? This new regime has only been in place for two drafts, and have brought in the likes of Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Mesat, Beck, Hutson, Fowler etc...

They also traded for prospects in Dach and Newhook which also requires scouting. So even we traded for another prospect, you'd be having to trust the scouting department on that is well.

It's too early to be making judgments on this teams scouting prowess or lack thereof.

They didn't take Michkov.. that's basically all it boils down to. Some people have not been able to get over that fact.

Even Slafkovsky blossoming at 19 after they bashed him for almost 2 years isn't enough to change their opinion that they may just be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad