OT: MLB Thread XLVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
A healthy Carrasco has been closer to a 1 than a 2.

Though even if he stays healthy, It wouldn't be fair to expect that of him this season. Dude hasn't thrown over 100 IP in 2+ years.

That's why I have Carassco as a very solid 3 and an acceptable 2 for the time being till Noah comes back hopefully healthy and back to his old self.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
135609485_10208237007081068_7803156330224512510_o.jpg

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Carassco could possibly be a low #2 type rotation guy. But your kind of right as he's definitly more suited as a #3.

Here's the way I look at Met rotation till Noah comes back:

deGrom is a bonafide stud #1
Carrasco is a solid #3 if healthy
Stroman is a good #3
Peterson could be a good #4/5
Lugo could be a good #4/5
Matz I'd rather him not be in rotation

So until Noah comes back, no question Mets have a bit of a void at the #2 spot in the rotation. However Carassco could be a pretty good fill in there for a few months. Let's put it this way, I'd rather have Carassco as my #2 than I would Stroman.

And if that sending McNeil to the OF and getting Lemaieu at 2B, I'd be willing to do that instead of bringing in Springer.Either/Or would be awesome for the lineup.

A solid #3? You're massively undervaluing him. He's an elite number 2 and a solid number 1.

Those results were in Cleveland which is a massively tougher run environment for a pitcher than Citi Field.

A healthy Carrasco has been closer to a 1 than a 2.

Though even if he stays healthy, It wouldn't be fair to expect that of him this season. Dude hasn't thrown over 100 IP in 2+ years.

Not because he was injured. He missed time because he had Leukemia and then pitched a full season this year. He has almost no recent history of arm injuries.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Big uh oh move for the Yankees.

A Mets franchise whose primary goal is to win can overtake a Yankees franchise whose primary goal is to make a profit.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Steve Sypa who does a really nice job covering the prospects at Amazin' Avenue had just published his full Top 25. He had Greene at 13 and Wolf at 7. Gimenez is probably the best piece in the deal being moved by the Mets, and that's pretty awesome.

I think Rosario’s reputation helped the deal immensely. I don’t think word has gotten around the league yet that he’s pretty much a bust.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Rosario’s reputation helped the deal immensely. I don’t think word has gotten around the league yet that he’s pretty much a bust.
Yeah I'm no Rosario fan. I mean, he's 25, he has shown flashes of being a valuable player, but he also looks really bad at times. Not sure he has the ability to put it all together. Cleveland is probably a better place, in terms of the market, for him to work on his game, though.

Getting multiple years of control of Carrasco, even though he's older, is also huge for the team. deGrom-Stroman-Syndergaard-Carrasco-Peterson (or however you want to line them up) is pretty damn good. And they were able to hold onto Allan, Ginn, and the young bats. I love the deal.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Great move for the Mets and all those getting Carlos Baerga flashbacks need to chill.

Is this a luxury tax move or did Cleveland feel this is the best they can do given covid and Lindor's impending free agency?

Mets still have pitching depth/bullpen work to do and overall hitting approach/lack of patience/not stealing enough has been my criticism of them even back in 2015 and 2016 so hopefully the analytics and philosophy change help.

Nice job be Alderson/Porter/Cohen. They're playing chess this offseason not checkers. :thumbu:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
This Lindor lad; Who is an NHL player equivalent to how good he is?

And does anyone feel like giving me a quick rundown of the Mets team? Who to watch for, exciting players/prospects etc.

Don’t know much about MLB but trying to get into it since I’m close to the Mets stadium and want to start seeing a few games whenever possible. Hopefully they allow fans later this year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

And does anyone feel like giving me a quick rundown of the Mets team? Who to watch for, exciting players/prospects etc.

Don’t know much about MLB but trying to get into it since I’m close to the Mets stadium and want to start seeing a few games whenever possible. Hopefully they allow fans later this year.

Probably someone like Patrice Bergeron

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Probably someone like Patrice Bergeron

This is pretty good, but there is a little more flash to Lindor while Bergeron is not nearly as flashy of a player, but the level of play in all facets is there.

I would go with someone like Barkov

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
A solid #3? You're massively undervaluing him. He's an elite number 2 and a solid number 1.

Those results were in Cleveland which is a massively tougher run environment for a pitcher than Citi Field.

Not because he was injured. He missed time because he had Leukemia and then pitched a full season this year. He has almost no recent history of arm injuries.

Not saying he's not good nor did he not have quite the nice run there in Cleveland on some very good Indian teams. But I just don't think I'm massively undervaluing Carassco at all by saying he'd be a great #3 on the Mets staff and will be a decent facsimilie of a #2. Once upon a time yeah I'd buy it that he was an elite #2. Matter of fact I owned him that year I believe it was 2017 in my $$ league and he helped me win the title, so I know how good he can be.

But when I look and watch Carassco it doesn't say "elite" at all. When I watch him I think of a smart workmanlike pitcher who knows how to play with the pitch zone and fool hitters. If perfectly healthy the most I'd go is on this Met team Carassco could be a decent to low #2. But he's much muh better suited at a 3...much!!

Injuries and that leukemia issue which he thankfully has recovered from have sapped him of his some of his former greatness to where tho he'll be fine for there for now, he's much much better suited to be your #3 than a #2.

Bottom line is its a great move by the Mets having Carassco included. One of the best things about it IMO is that it moves Stroman down the totem pole too where eventually he'll be our #4 and that it is pretty dang good if you can have a Stroman type as your 4 instead of where he was projected which was possibly a 2 while Noah was....uggghhhhh.

All is good now with Carassco on board!

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Lundell

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Carassco is easily the #2 (assuming he keeps pitching the same way he has)

Marcus Stroman aka "Mr 4 and 2/3s" is one of the most overrated players in baseball and easily sits behind a healthy Carassco

Stroman should benefit heavily from an improved infield defense. Pushing him down to #4 makes this a deeper rotation.

Reactions: sbjnyc

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You just described Greg Maddux.

or Ron Darling by age 30.

whether or not there is a DH could make a world of difference CC.

He’s been through a lot the past few years and the body doesn’t jump back to 100% too quickly after fighting that disease. The team needs a #2 imo with CC the #3.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Carassco is easily the #2 (assuming he keeps pitching the same way he has)

Marcus Stroman aka "Mr 4 and 2/3s" is one of the most overrated players in baseball and easily sits behind a healthy Carassco

I said basically that just before. One of the best things about Carassco is that it puts Stroman back in a place in the rotation like #3/#4 where he is best suited too succeed.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not saying he's not good nor did he not have quite the nice run there in Cleveland on some very good Indian teams. But I just don't think I'm massively undervaluing Carassco at all by saying he'd be a great #3 on the Mets staff and will be a decent facsimilie of a #2. Once upon a time yeah I'd buy it that he was an elite #2. Matter of fact I owned him that year I believe it was 2017 in my $$ league and he helped me win the title, so I know how good he can be.

But when I look and watch Carassco it doesn't say "elite" at all. When I watch him I think of a smart workmanlike pitcher who knows how to play with the pitch zone and fool hitters. If perfectly healthy the most I'd go is on this Met team Carassco could be a decent to low #2. But he's much muh better suited at a 3...much!!

Injuries and that leukemia issue which he thankfully has recovered from have sapped him of his some of his former greatness to where tho he'll be fine for there for now, he's much much better suited to be your #3 than a #2.

Bottom line is its a great move by the Mets having Carassco included. One of the best things about it IMO is that it moves Stroman down the totem pole too where eventually he'll be our #4 and that it is pretty dang good if you can have a Stroman type as your 4 instead of where he was projected which was possibly a 2 while Noah was....uggghhhhh.

All is good now with Carassco on board!

Any team that has Carrasco as their #3 would be a top 3 rotation in baseball (This is the case for the Mets when Syndergaard is back). He's probably an ace on more teams than he's a third starter.

He hasn't had any significant injuries in 7 years other than a fluke one where he got hit by a line drive so injuries have not harmed him of what he was.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Carassco is not even a pimple on Maddux's butt....lol

I believe I described a pretty good pitcher tho.
Obviously not as good but that's the kind of pitcher Maddux was - he was able to fool hitters and paint the corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad