OT: MLB Thread XLVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
If Bauer is legitimately looking for 5-6 years at $35-$40 million, my reluctance becomes a f***ing hard pass. That's crazy money for someone with two elite seasons and five decent seasons. I don't care how much money Cohen has, that's the type of deal that starts to hamstring you down the road with respect to the cap.

Listen, I've been probably the biggest proponent here on this board of us getting Bauer, but if these #'s are true and he wants up to $40 mill per, I'm likely, ready for this, jumping off the Bauer train and will settle for us bringing in an Odorizzi type or even a John Lester as we could use a lefty in the rotation seeing Matz is likely not going to be part of it.

In my mind and priority numero uno is and if we are going to pay the big bucks out, is let's get George Springer here. We do that, everything else is just gravy. But yes a hard no as well if Bauer is going to command that much cash for that term.

Now one caveat tho, if we could get Bauer on a one year $30 mill type deal, I'd definitely consider that as in I'd likely for sure do it. But no way in hell for 5-6 years at 35-40 mill.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
can't fault him for asking but if anyone gives bauer that kind of $$ they are insane...he's had 1 great season but he doesn't have the track record to warrant that.

another thing to keep in mind about bauer is that a few years ago he talked about how easy it was to cheat to increase your spin rate. i think he was calling out the astros and cole...then went out basically told people he was doing it and increased his spin rate by a ridiculous amount for 1 inning. then last year in only 11 games his spin rate was the same as that 1 inning. So what are the chances that he suddenly became really good vs he was just cheating again in a shortened season and then will get his $$ go back to not cheating and have a 5+ era.

and that doesn't even get into how much of a PITA he is.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't care how much money Cohen has, that's the type of deal that starts to hamstring you down the road with respect to the cap.
I think many Mets fans, like the wise ass who told Steve Cohen FAs only cost $, were hoping the team would blow through the luxury tax like an addict and their stimulus checks.

The reality is that no one wants to pay the luxury taxes, even (especially) the billionaires, so the Mets need to be smart with the deals hand out. Once the Mets are right on the doorstep to win they'll be more willing/tempted to give that giant contract and go over the threshold, as long as they can almost guarantee a WS or two. The problem is that the Mets Ace of Aces ain't getting any younger.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think many Mets fans, like the wise ass who told Steve Cohen FAs only cost $, were hoping the team would blow through the luxury tax like an addict and their stimulus checks.

The reality is that no one wants to pay the luxury taxes, even (especially) the billionaires, so the Mets need to be smart with the deals handed out. Once the Mets are right on the doorstep to win they'll be more willing/tempted to give that giant contract and go over the threshold, as long as they can almost guarantee a WS or two. The problem is that the Mets Ace of Aces ain't getting any younger.

i personally have loved cohen's approach/mindset of wanting to build the team the right way...the idea that he would spend like a drunken sailor cause he's old and doesn't want to wait is only good if you win. but it is not a smart long term strategy...doing things the right way might take a minute but long term it will pay off. the place that met fans should be hoping he spends crazy $$ is on the front office, scouting staff, player development etc AND the international free agent market. THAT is where the big $$ teams truly flex their financial power, loading up their farm system with talent that doesn't need to go thru the draft. those kids get signed at like 16 so the more guys you can sign the better the odds that a few will pan out in a few years...

plus you also have to weigh the caliber of the players involved...jt realmuto is probably the best catcher in baseball so you could argue that he would be worth paying. but fans act like every free agent available is mike trout or degrom and we should throw piles and piles of $$ at them just cause we can.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
i personally have loved cohen's approach/mindset of wanting to build the team the right way...the idea that he would spend like a drunken sailor cause he's old and doesn't want to wait is only good if you win. but it is not a smart long term strategy...doing things the right way might take a minute but long term it will pay off. the place that met fans should be hoping he spends crazy $$ is on the front office, scouting staff, player development etc AND the international free agent market. THAT is where the big $$ teams truly flex their financial power, loading up their farm system with talent that doesn't need to go thru the draft. those kids get signed at like 16 so the more guys you can sign the better the odds that a few will pan out in a few years...

plus you also have to weigh the caliber of the players involved...jt realmuto is probably the best catcher in baseball so you could argue that he would be worth paying. but fans act like every free agent available is mike trout or degrom and we should throw piles and piles of $$ at them just cause we can.
I think Steve Cohen's sly comment complimenting the Padres strong farm system giving them flexibility, tells you what you need to know about the front office and development staff he's investing in. Mets seem in good hands.

Trades might cost more in terms of total assets and it's hard to part with those assets (see: Prospect Hugging Crosstown Rivals), but they also net you years of stars at a cheap price, further avoiding those pesky taxes that star caliber FAs come with.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Fwiw, Jon Heyman reported that and Bauer himself responded calling it bullshit.

who really knows whst he’s asking for.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fwiw, Jon Heyman reported that and Bauer himself responded calling it bullshit.

who really knows whst he’s asking for.
I would definitely expect Bauer and his agent to shoot it down, or shoot anything down. Having his asking price out there isn't to his benefit. I also have no doubt he asked for that--he's Trevor Bauer--bit probably doesn't actually expect to get it.

As you said, though, who knows.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Bauer is obviously not getting 35-40M when Gerrit Cole, the better pitcher, got 36M last year (for 9 years) in a much better economic market.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Mets have surplus SS and a good one in the pipeline.

Greene and Wolf are nice prospects but not blue chippers.

I f***ing love it. Get another starter, sign Hand, and let's go.

They need to get a centerfielder too. Hand is the ideal pitcher for the bullpen and they already said they are interested. They do need a #4/5 starter to go in an hold down a spot before Syndergaard comes back.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
They need to get a centerfielder too. Hand is the ideal pitcher for the bullpen and they already said they are interested. They do need a #4/5 starter to go in an hold down a spot before Syndergaard comes back.

i think they'll get Springer.

DeGrom, ?, Stroman, Carrasco, Matz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad