OT: MLB Thread XLVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backstreets Back

Jul 1, 2019
Yeah but redskin is not endearing or done out of respect. The word literally is a deragatory word. Like it's the literal definition. In the f***ing dictionary. This isn't some.endearing term that became negative as time went on. It was always bad, people are just finally willing to acknowledge it.

When I was a kid people would throw around the f word thats derogatory towards homosexuals all the time.. it was always bad..it's just now people are grown up enough to admit it.

There's a lot of offensive words that people socially accepted as the norms. Until they didn't.

Redskin is most definitely one.

There's a reason why the Blackhawks were basically ashamed to show off their new reverse retro jersey. Everyone knows that the teams name and logo is offensive to that culture. It's just a matter of time before they change it...if they don't change the name I'll bet you they change the logo to a hawk or something.

The team name Blackhawks, named after....chief Black Hawk is offensive now? The logo I can somewhat understand. I can only imagine in 5-10 years time what else people demand to be changed. Braves, Chiefs, Yankees, Celtics, Vikings, etc.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't want to move McNeil even if it meant getting Arenado. I don't even want to give up Gimenez. The other's fine...no problem. But those two...nah...I'm not giving them up. Matter of fact more that I think about it, forget Arenado...he can go somewhere else for the zillions of dollars he's going to get. We get Springer and keep our players is the way too go....simple as that!

I don't want Lindor either if it means dealing McNeil or Gimenez....sorry but I just don't.
If I knew that Arenado couldn't opt out, I wouldn't think twice about dealing Gimenez. I love Gimenez but I don't know how much he'll contribute at the dish going forward. There's also a bumper crop of amazing shortstops next winter. That's the one area I'm really not concerned with because even if we kept Gimenez, we'll still probably be in one one of the SS next year anyway.

I do think that McNeil will trend pretty close in terms of WAR-for-dollar with Arenado moving forward. I'm not terribly concerned with the "for dollar" part, though. McNeil is great, though, so I'm not going to be adding much of value to him for Arenado.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The team name Blackhawks, named after....chief Black Hawk is offensive now? The logo I can somewhat understand. I can only imagine in 5-10 years time what else people demand to be changed. Braves, Chiefs, Yankees, Celtics, Vikings, etc.
The thing with the Native American imagery and names is that it's not just limited to this question of "is this offensive" in a vacuum. The U.S. has a really ugly, disgusting history with Native Americans and still to this day we're routinely finding new ways to steal from them, marginalize them, and generally f*** them over any way possible. So, in my book, they get a little extra sensitivity and a little more deferential treatment in these types of discussions. We as a society owe these people so f***ing much. The sports team names seems like literally the smallest gesture we could afford them. JMO.

Also--the Braves and Chiefs have already found themselves in the crosshairs and will continue to moving forward.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't want to move McNeil even if it meant getting Arenado.

Me neither and no way. McNeil is the Mets DJ LeMahieu. Honestly, i'd go sign LeMahieu and keep loading the bats with high OBP players to wear out the opponents pitching staff.

Then bring in Springer.

Not sure how Bauer will do in NY while news of the Mets in on this Sugano pitcher is interesting.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I like this one:
g50pSTUvQEyibZcQYUS1Ug

That is a badass logo and the hawks should be punished for not using it already

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The thing with the Native American imagery and names is that it's not just limited to this question of "is this offensive" in a vacuum. The U.S. has a really ugly, disgusting history with Native Americans and still to this day we're routinely finding new ways to steal from them, marginalize them, and generally f*** them over any way possible. So, in my book, they get a little extra sensitivity and a little more deferential treatment in these types of discussions. We as a society owe these people so f***ing much. The sports team names seems like literally the smallest gesture we could afford them. JMO.

Also--the Braves and Chiefs have already found themselves in the crosshairs and will continue to moving forward.

I totally get changing the Redskins. I don’t get changing the Chiefs or Braves. Sure, if it’s something that makes a reasonable sized portion of their population upset, then sure, change it. I say reasonable as if it actually upsets people - not one person writing an article who isn’t even of Native American descent. I just don’t see the negative connotation in all honesty anymore than I’d see it for the Vikings, 49ers, or something of that ilk. I don’t think the Chiefs for example was chosen to be disrespectful or mocking in any way. Again, if it does bother people then I’m not unreasonable, but I don’t see it. I almost feel like it’s erasing them from our culture or treating them like children to patronize them by telling them how they should feel.

Reactions: ponzu4u

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Possibly landing Darvis after landing Snell and acquiring Clevinger last season is a heck of staff.

edit - ouch, did not realize Clevinger had Tommy John surgery recently.

Deleted member 23124

Refresh my memory and help a brother out but what did Uncle Stevie do to gain this "scumbag" title in his private biz?
Something to do with insider trading. Case was settled, but he had to pay $1.2 billion in fines.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Refresh my memory and help a brother out but what did Uncle Stevie do to gain this "scumbag" title in his private biz?
Something to do with insider trading. Case was settled, but he had to pay $1.2 billion in fines.
There's some other stuff. He's been reported to be incredibly controlling, and his firm faced lots of gender-discrimination claims. He ran an Old Boys Club, for sure, and seemed to by choice. He's also a noted micromanager to the highest degree. Here's a Times article talking about some of it.

As Steve Cohen Closes In on Mets, Discrimination Claims Cast a Shadow

I've also seen things in the back pages that just paint him as a real jerk, and a creep.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
There's some other stuff. He's been reported to be incredibly controlling, and his firm faced lots of gender-discrimination claims. He ran an Old Boys Club, for sure, and seemed to by choice. He's also a noted micromanager to the highest degree. Here's a time article talking about some of it.

As Steve Cohen Closes In on Mets, Discrimination Claims Cast a Shadow

I've also seen things in the back pages that just paint him as a real jerk, and a creep.

Appreciate the help but in order for me to read the article, I got to sign up and tho it's cheap now, I have to remember when to cancel and I always seem to forget, so I'll pass on subscribing. I'll just do a more advanced google search when I get the chance and read what it is he's done...thx again.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Appreciate the help but in order for me to read the article, I got to sign up and tho it's cheap now, I have to remember when to cancel and I always seem to forget, so I'll pass on subscribing. I'll just do a more advanced google search when I get the chance and read what it is he's done...thx again.
For sure. If you just Google Steve Cohen SEC, Steve Cohen Discrimination, Steve Cohen controversy, you'll find...an abundance of things. :laugh:

I said it earlier, I think he's trying to use his Mets ownership to help rehabilitate his public image a bit.

Reactions: Maximus

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
For sure. If you just Google Steve Cohen SEC, Steve Cohen Discrimination, Steve Cohen controversy, you'll find...an abundance of things. :laugh:

I said it earlier, I think he's trying to use his Mets ownership to help rehabilitate his public image a bit.

the Mets are his hobby. The guy doesn’t care about his public image as much as he does enjoying his hobby and ruling his Hedge Fund.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
the Mets are his hobby. The guy doesn’t care about his public image as much as he does enjoying his hobby and ruling his Hedge Fund.
You're absolutely right about them being his hobby, but he's supposedly an egomaniac and I think he relishes the opportunity for positive press. Giving back pay to the workers and reinstating their salaries, pledging $15M to local businesses, standing around handing out gifts to season ticket holders, chit-chatting on social media, etc. He gets great press.

I don't think he was interested in the Mets BECAUSE it was an opportunity to improve his image, but I do strongly believe he sees the opportunity and is basking in the limelight and positive press. If he is "Cool Uncle Steve" and brings a championship to NY, for better or worse, no one will remember or care about the negative stuff that has followed him. And I think that's highly appealing to him.

Reactions: Maximus

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You're absolutely right about them being his hobby, but he's supposedly an egomaniac and I think he relishes the opportunity for positive press. Giving back pay to the workers and reinstating their salaries, pledging $15M to local businesses, standing around handing out gifts to season ticket holders, chit-chatting on social media, etc. He gets great press.

I don't think he was interested in the Mets BECAUSE it was an opportunity to improve his image, but I do strongly believe he sees the opportunity and is basking in the limelight and positive press. If he is "Cool Uncle Steve" and brings a championship to NY, for better or worse, no one will remember or care about the negative stuff that has followed him. And I think that's highly appealing to him.

i know two people who work under him. He’s the typical Hedge Fund tycoon. He is very personable and very tough. He’s actually more sociable than many Hedge Fund managers but he became who he is by being very demanding. He has a high bar for himself though. He’s not riding the coattails of others.

As far as the Mets. Like many billionaires who own teams, the Mets are also a status symbol.

Reactions: Maximus and nyr2k2

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Wait a minute, did Steve Cohen buy the Padres? Lol

They are the team making power moves.

Mets Fans as Steve Cohen was about to buy the Mets: HERE WE GOOOOOOO CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY UNCLE STEVIE I WANT HIM AND HIM AND HIM AND HE'S GOOD TOO, 10 Billion IN THE BANK WITH NORONA LOSSES LES POACH DEM YANKEES

Mets fans now: WE BUILDIN IT THE RIGHT WAY THIS WILL TAKE TIME AND ANALYTICS

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Bauer is legitimately looking for 5-6 years at $35-$40 million, my reluctance becomes a f***ing hard pass. That's crazy money for someone with two elite seasons and five decent seasons. I don't care how much money Cohen has, that's the type of deal that starts to hamstring you down the road with respect to the cap.

Reactions: zephyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad