OT: MLB Thread XLVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm absolutely on board with a Jackie Bradley signing. His defense is superb and I worry less about him breaking down than Springer. Also, if you sign Jackie Bradley, you can move Nimmo for another SP or maybe an RP and prospects. I really like Nimmo but with Conforto hopefully here long term, an actual CF, and guys like Davis and Smith in LF, I think he could become surplus. I've read quite a few times that there are teams looking for OF help--I think KC, the report was even specifically they needed a LH-hitting OF. I'm sure there'd be a market for Nimmo, who is only $4M this year and has another arbitration year.

The Mets don’t consider either Smith or Davis outfielders.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Huh? Nimmo is an awful centerfielder and was rated the worst in baseball defensively.
Yeah he may be like, the fifth-best overall guy in terms of WAR or some measure who plays CF somewhat regularly, but his defense out there sucks. Like Conforto in CF. They're both corner outfielders.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Mets don’t consider either Smith or Davis outfielders.
Yes I know I've also seen that reported, but they don't have a lot of options with Smith if there's no DH (which it doesn't sound like there will be). And his bat is too good to keep out of the lineup. Alonso won't be benched for Smith.

Davis can play 3B but it's LF or the bench for Smith.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yes I know I've also seen that reported, but they don't have a lot of options with Smith if there's no DH (which it doesn't sound like there will be). And his bat is too good to keep out of the lineup. Alonso won't be benched for Smith.

I think the Mets are planning for the DH to be approved for this season.

Reactions: Leetch3

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm leaning the same way - skip Springer. Sign a Bradley. We need defense in CF more than anything. There's plenty of bats.

You're going to need contracts for Lindor and Conforto next year. So we need to think beyond this season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the Mets are planning for the DH to be approved for this season.
Maybe so. They'd better hope there is, because if there's not and they have Nimmo, Smith, and Alonso all on the same roster, someone with a great bat is going to great waste.

I know the only "official" word has been MLB telling teams in the NL to proceed as if there will NOT be a DH; but teams are not sold that's the case. I guess we'll see, the team probably has a better idea than I do so I guess I'll defer to them.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
MLB Network had him ranked 5th overall last night, probably because his offensive metrics greatly outweigh his defensive shortcomings.

Yeah he may be like, the fifth-best overall guy in terms of WAR or some measure who plays CF somewhat regularly, but his defense out there sucks. Like Conforto in CF. They're both corner outfielders.
OK I guess I read that post as a defensive ranking.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Maybe so. They'd better hope there is, because if there's not and they have Nimmo, Smith, and Alonso all on the same roster, someone with a great bat is going to great waste.

I know the only "official" word has been MLB telling teams in the NL to proceed as if there will NOT be a DH; but teams are not sold that's the case. I guess we'll see, the team probably has a better idea than I do so I guess I'll defer to them.

honestly, how can the decision have not been made yet?

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm leaning the same way - skip Springer. Sign a Bradley. We need defense in CF more than anything. There's plenty of bats.

You're going to need contracts for Lindor and Conforto next year. So we need to think beyond this season.

Bradley is not a very good hitter and if the pitcher has to bat this is an issue. Money isn’t a problem anymore so i’m going Springer or DJ.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Six years, wow, that's a lot of term. More than I thought he'd get. Must have been lots of bidders.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I read that MLB might be withholding the NL DH this year so that they can use it as a bargaining chip during the next CBA negotiations.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Thats the first thing i thought. 6 years for a 32 yr old? Crazy

He's not a power hitter or slugger. A contact hitter like him will be fine through most, if not, all of that contract. Barring health as well, of course.

Great AAV at 15 mil per year. Yankees did well.

Now I'm hoping for a Trevor Bauer signing, but that might be unrealistic.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The term is bonkers.

I guess they're anticipating that it will be an easy contract to move down the line?

Bauer isn't signing here. He and Cole would kill each other.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The term is bonkers.

I guess they're anticipating that it will be an easy contract to move down the line?

Bauer isn't signing here. He and Cole would kill each other.
The Yankees blinked on term. DJ wanted six years and got it. They were close on salary from the get go. The Yankees up until very recently were only offering 5 years. Good contract when all is said and done. $15 million will be a good price for him for most of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad