OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes, BUUUUUT:

1. Paxton has been on the DL 5 times in 3 years. That is a lot of DL time.
2. Paxton has only reached 160 innings last year. If you are getting him to be a co-ace, he will need to pitch a lot more than that. Something that he has NEVER done. And he is not a rookie. He is 30.
3. Paxton is going from pitching in a pitchers paradise, to pitching in Yankee Stadium in particular and the AL East in general.
4. Paxton has not had to pitch big innings in a big spot. Not to mention the bright lights of NY.

So, the Yankees have traded 3 prospects, including their top pitching prospect for a guy who may or may not be a late bloomer, has a riddled health history and has not pitched in a media frenzy environment like NY not has had to pitch THE game before. Haven't we seen this movie before? Does not turn out well.

He isn’t a late bloomer.

He’s been good since he broke into the league.

Health is really the only concern.

Reactions: romba

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You realize that Bumgarner has a projected ERA of nearly 4 despite being in the premiere pitchers park, saw his k rate take a big hit for the second year in a row, had the worst control of his career last year, has also had injury issues recently (one being very flukey), and has had his hard hit % against rise five straight years. The only plus to getting him is that his contract is quite affordable right now. He's a good pitcher not an elite one anymore.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He isn’t a late bloomer.

He’s been good since he broke into the league.

Health is really the only concern.
He has pitched over 100 innings three times. Which means that he has not had that until late in his twenties. That is a late bloomer. Those innings jumped by 24 last year. He has never pitched in a big spot or in a media crazed city. There are other legit concerns aside from the fact that he cannot stay on the field.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You realize that Bumgarner has a projected ERA of nearly 4 despite being in the premiere pitchers park, saw his k rate take a big hit for the second year in a row, had the worst control of his career last year, has also had injury issues recently (one being very flukey), and has had his hard hit % against rise five straight years. The only plus to getting him is that his contract is quite affordable right now. He's a good pitcher not an elite one anymore.

He is insanely streaky. He can go 2-3 months where most of his starts are bad and then he goes 2-3 months where he goes 12-1 with a 0.75 ERA. The key with bumgarner is generally to just take pitches. He pitches insanely up in the zone for a lefty and you’ll notice the majority of pitches he gets guys out on are balls.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Saw an SNY article regarding trading Noa and what the Mets would be seeking.

Yankees were mentioned as needing to overpay (understandable) and so they’d have to offer....Andujar.

Lol wut.

Andujar maybe as the second piece but I don’t see the Mets considering a trade with him as the primary.

What’s strange is it’s a Mets writer on SNY, I think they’d devalue a Yankees prospect/player rather than overvalue. Sign me up though for Andujar++ for Noa.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It's hillarious how some people think MadBum is actually a better pitcher than Paxton at this point.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Saw an SNY article regarding trading Noa and what the Mets would be seeking.

Yankees were mentioned as needing to overpay (understandable) and so they’d have to offer....Andujar.

Lol wut.

Andujar maybe as the second piece but I don’t see the Mets considering a trade with him as the primary.

What’s strange is it’s a Mets writer on SNY, I think they’d devalue a Yankees prospect/player rather than overvalue. Sign me up though for Andujar++ for Noa.

I really don't think they'd trade DeGrom or Noah to the Yankees under any cost. You don't get the title of being the worst owners in town for nothing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
3 years of control for Paxton

Unless I am missing something like some Option or clause in his deal, we get Paxton for 2 years. Still worth what they gave up easily though if he performs like he has.

Cannot see them spending on Machado. Or Harper. I outlined my reasons. Not to mention the fact that adding yet another right handed bat makes absolutely no sense.

His defense at 3rd base is all time and Hall of Fame level and he's a better hitter than Andujar too. But it makes no sense to add him...? :huh:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Unless I am missing something like some Option or clause in his deal, we get Paxton for 2 years. Still worth what they gave up easily though if he performs like he has.

His defense at 3rd base is all time and Hall of Fame level and he's a better hitter than Andujar too. But it makes no sense to add him...? :huh:

I think hes a ufa after the 2021 season. That's three full seasons.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I think hes a ufa after the 2021 season. That's three full seasons.

Unless I am misreading this from Spotrac they have him through 2020 not 2021.

48SaSiY.png

E: nvm I am wrong...it even says exp in 3 years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really don't think they'd trade DeGrom or Noah to the Yankees under any cost. You don't get the title of being the worst owners in town for nothing.
Eh, I probably wouldn't either. Really don't want to watch either of those guys become legends and win rings with the Yankees. Other teams have good players and prospects, too. Call me stupid, rivalries matter, even if they're only on the back pages.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The Mets still get flak for trading Seaver to the Reds and Ryan to the Angels. Imagine if they were traded to the Yanks!

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Because he has a bad attitude and he’s right handed.

I can buy the argument that the money may be better spent elsewhere, but he’s a perennial 6 war player.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Paxton is a legit #1. If he can start going deep in the games and become that 200+ innings a year workhorse he goes to that elite category. Very good trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad