OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know why the Mets would claim Jordan Patterson. Even if you are optimistic that he can hit at the ML level, we have too many guys that are corner OF/1B-types as it is. Bruce, Smith, Alonso, Flores, Cespedes, Conforto, and maybe Rivera at this point. Those guys all need to be in a corner OF spot or at first.

Also, they now only have 1 spot left on the 40-man. Please get rid of some of the trash on the roster like Gagnon, Peterson, and Sewald. I know we love hoarding shitty relievers, but come on.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cano has been weird with Seattle. He alternates between being above average and very good. wRC+ of 137, 116, 139, 113, and 136. Other than last year he's been durable. Just inconsistent, I guess. I'd be leery just because he's f***ing old, and you never know when guys that are 36 or 37 will fall off a cliff. That said, we just saw Beltre play well at 37 and 38 (not so much at 39) and there have been other guys as well. It really would depend on the money, for me.

Reactions: Machinehead

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
i like taking chance on a Bridwell. He was good in 2017. Dat K/9 though.....
Yeah the K rate, the strand rate (79%!) and the HR rate moving to YS would make me nervous. But hey, maybe he can go on another lucky run for a year or even half a year. No harm in giving him a look.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What is Bumgarner even worth at this point? The velo is down, the K-rate is way down, last year the walks were way up. His base ERA is fine but the peripherals portend a declining pitcher, which is borne out in his xFIP--4.07 and 4.32 the past two years. I'd worry about him turning into Felix Hernandez. I mean sure, I'd be okay gambling that he returns to former glory, but I wouldn't be moving any major pieces to get him (and I think SF would want major pieces, even though they should probably consider cutting bait).

Reactions: RGY

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why does it matter if Cano works out or not when he is consistently a way above average hitter? And I'd prefer a player like him to not run out groundballs to first despite how bad it looks. The risk of an injury is not worth the miniscule reward in a random regular season game.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Why does it matter if Cano works out or not when he is consistently a way above average hitter? And I'd prefer a player like him to not run out groundballs to first despite how bad it looks. The risk of an injury is not worth the miniscule reward in a random regular season game.
Because he's 36, showing signs of decline, and for the first time in his career is now starting to miss games due to injury – with five years left on his gargantuan contract.

Reactions: RGY

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
What is Bumgarner even worth at this point? The velo is down, the K-rate is way down, last year the walks were way up. His base ERA is fine but the peripherals portend a declining pitcher, which is borne out in his xFIP--4.07 and 4.32 the past two years. I'd worry about him turning into Felix Hernandez. I mean sure, I'd be okay gambling that he returns to former glory, but I wouldn't be moving any major pieces to get him (and I think SF would want major pieces, even though they should probably consider cutting bait).

They're definitely looking for major pieces and/or prospects. Which given his pedigree, playoff performance and value to the franchise, I guess I'd understand.

There's a trend in his hard hit rate going up too every single year for the past 5-6 years. A lot more of those hard hit balls will leave Yankee Stadium/AL East stadiums/AL stadiums vs ATnTP/NL West/NL stadiums

gqFKy7f.png

I would stay far away from overpaying for 1 year of him. All the analytics say it's a huge risk.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

“Welcome to the Mets. Your first assignment is to build me a model where we can pay out a lot less in salary than our salary cap hit”

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They're definitely looking for major pieces and/or prospects. Which given his pedigree, playoff performance and value to the franchise, I guess I'd understand.

There's a trend in his hard hit rate going up too every single year for the past 5-6 years. A lot more of those hard hit balls will leave Yankee Stadium/AL East stadiums/AL stadiums vs ATnTP/NL West/NL stadiums

gqFKy7f.png

I would stay far away from overpaying for 1 year of him. All the analytics say it's a huge risk.

Fair point, but Coors and Chase are f***ing epic launching pads.

But those trends are worrisome. Changes my mind about having him ahead of Kluber on my want list.

I'd prob slide him right behind Corbin too who worries me plenty.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Because he's 36, showing signs of decline, and for the first time in his career is now starting to miss games due to injury – with five years left on his gargantuan contract.

He played 80 games last year. And was suspended for 80 games. He has played 150+ in every other season. What games is he missing due to injury? I suppose yes, he was injured during the suspension, however it's not a "signs of injury" play he got hit by a pitch on the hand. Anyone would get hurt from that. And the contract doesn't matter obviously any deal for him would include the other team picking up a large portion of it (else the return would be extremely weak).

What signs of decline? Last year he had a 136 wRC+. His career number is 127.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He played 80 games last year. And was suspended for 80 games. He has played 150+ in every other season. What games is he missing due to injury? I suppose yes, he was injured during the suspension, however it's not a "signs of injury" play he got hit by a pitch on the hand. Anyone would get hurt from that. And the contract doesn't matter obviously any deal for him would include the other team picking up a large portion of it (else the return would be extremely weak).

What signs of decline? Last year he had a 136 wRC+. His career number is 127.
In 80 games.

And how'd he do the year before that? And two years before that?

Now throw in the fact that in this same year where he logged that number he got busted for PEDs, which I forgot to include on my laundry list.

Not to mention that he would bring that crap attitude I referenced to a team full of kids, including guys like Sanchez and Andujar who have their own stuff to work on.

And again, he's 36, and signed to a massive contract that carries him to 41. Seriously? You want to bring that albatross onto this team?

No thank you.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
In 80 games.

And how'd he do the year before that? And two years before that?

Now throw in the fact that in this same year where he logged that number he got busted for PEDs, which I forgot to include on my laundry list.

Not to mention that he would bring that crap attitude I referenced to a team full of kids, including guys like Sanchez and Andujar who have their own stuff to work on.

And again, he's 36, and signed to a massive contract that carries him to 41. Seriously? You want to bring that albatross onto this team?

No thank you.

He had a good 113 wRC+ last year (7th best among 2B) and an excellent 139 the year before that which was good for 3rd best among MLB 2nd basemen. I'm not seeing the problem here. What I am seeing is the ability to get a player who is performing exactly the same as he was five years ago for cheap because of a diminished reputation due to a suspension, perceived bad attitude, and bad contract (which, as I said, a team acquiring him would not be paying anywhere near in full). Steamer projects him for a 122 wRC+ this year which they have as the 2nd best 2B after Altuve. He also still rates as an average to good defensive 2B despite his age.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
If you get this version Cano with Seattle eating money and throwing in some other stuff I’d be very intrigued.

Cano can still play. I expect him to suck eventually but if they throw in some cool pieces/eat money/absorb something from us then I can live with that

The risk of this Cano idea going bad BUT getting assets >>> just straight signing our usual garbage like Bruce, Frazier, Vargas etc.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He had a good 113 wRC+ last year (7th best among 2B) and an excellent 139 the year before that which was good for 3rd best among MLB 2nd basemen. I'm not seeing the problem here. What I am seeing is the ability to get a player who is performing exactly the same as he was five years ago for cheap because of a diminished reputation due to a suspension, perceived bad attitude, and bad contract (which, as I said, a team acquiring him would not be paying anywhere near in full). Steamer projects him for a 122 wRC+ this year which they have as the 2nd best 2B after Altuve. He also still rates as an average to good defensive 2B despite his age.
I was referring to 2015, but I'll drop it at this point, since I can see we won't agree. I do not want him on the team, not at that price or for that term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad