OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I know he has seen his guys struggle down the stretch, but if the Red Sox and then Esptein, Maddon and the Cubs liked the guy, I'm all for giving him a shot.

Hopefully Dom Smith doesn't try to eat him.
I’ve liked the recent moves the Mets have made. I don’t know much about Davis as a coach, but it’s hard to ignore the results he’s gotten with the Cubs young players.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I’ve liked the recent moves the Mets have made. I don’t know much about Davis as a coach, but it’s hard to ignore the results he’s gotten with the Cubs young players.
As I recall, doesn't he also have a great reputation in the clubhouse going back to his playing days?

Mets making some solid managerial moves. Good for them; I like it better when both NY teams are relevant.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Glad the Yankees are (hopefully) avoiding such a deal.

By the same token, I actually think it wouldn't be bad for the Mets, especially if Diaz comes with. (Depending of course on what they send back.) The Wilpons have woefully underspent for years and so they are much more able to take on the cap hit, the PR would be a nice one for the team, and Diaz is one hell of a pitcher.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
As I recall, doesn't he also have a great reputation in the clubhouse going back to his playing days?

Mets making some solid managerial moves. Good for them; I like it better when both NY teams are relevant.
I’m not sure. There’s some stuff out there about him admitting that he’s not done well with younger players, but the onus is on him to improve. IIRC, his teams have been top-10 in wrC+ in something like 5 or 6 of the last 9 years.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Glad the Yanks are staying away from that contract at that age. Even if he is still producing and with how good Diaz is with team control

Go spend the money on Harper or Machado at 26:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Wow. I would be fine with Cano depending on how much money Seattle absorbs. I would love Diaz.

Wonder what the return would be?

This is the part that scares me, and because it's the Mets, I have really no idea the angle of this.

If this were a team that operates like an actual NYC team, I would assume Diaz would be the sweetener to take on a contract Seattle wanted to dump.

But with the Wilpons? I dont know. If they're pushing back Bruce and some of their bad contracts to even out the money, it gets closer to a true value trade. Then all bets are off.

Hence my fears.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If they can get Harper to play 1B as has been speculated, I am a lot more in favor of this idea.
I like Harper more than Machado for multiple reasons.

1) Harper could split time between 1B and LF. It would allow Frazier to get playing time and one of Voit/Bird, whomever stays.

2) Harper’s knees are not a concern like they are with Machado.

3) LEFTY BAT.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is the part that scares me, and because it's the Mets, I have really no idea the angle of this.

If this were a team that operates like an actual NYC team, I would assume Diaz would be the sweetener to take on a contract Seattle wanted to dump.

But with the Wilpons? I dont know. If they're pushing back Bruce and some of their bad contracts to even out the money, it gets closer to a true value trade. Then all bets are off.

Hence my fears.
Hopefully BVW is really running the show here. I have no reason to have faith in him, really, but for some reason I do. This move would be a good indicator of whether he's calling the shots or whether he's making moves within the parameters established by the Wilpons.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Classic lolmets is finding the most lukewarm, milquetoast FAs available and signing them to be bad. No effort, no thought band aid moves.

This could be the most creative thing the Mets have done in some time.
Cano has a massive contract and is really old. It's like the Cuddyer signing, Bruce signing, Cespedes signing, Wright signing, etc. Basically classic lolmets.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Cano has a massive contract and is really old. It's like the Cuddyer signing, Bruce signing, Cespedes signing, Wright signing, etc. Basically classic lolmets.

That is a meaningless collection of names lol

Two guys who were worse than Cano and two guys who.....were the best bats on the Mets?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not happy if Kelenic is involved
Yeah, I like him a lot. He's far away, but has great upside.

I've been more bullish on Dunn than most, seen him in person a few times and was really impressed. He cleaned up his motion and his control improved, can now pitch deeper into games. He could be really good.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like Harper more than Machado for multiple reasons.

1) Harper could split time between 1B and LF. It would allow Frazier to get playing time and one of Voit/Bird, whomever stays.

2) Harper’s knees are not a concern like they are with Machado.

3) LEFTY BAT.

I'm very pro Harper for sure.

Reactions: RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad