OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Paxton, Corbin, and Harper would be a hell of an offseason. I'd go to war with that group.

If the Yankees can unload Stanton's contract with the above, it'd be a perfect offseason.
Would rather keep Stanton. Just move him down in the lineup and take some of the pressure off. There are plenty of interim options for SS and 2B. Could even sign Murphy for 2B. Have Torres play SS. Sign Hech as backup. Then when Didi is back, slide Harper to LF and Murphy to 1B. And people worried about Frazier, well by the time Didi is back, is value might be boosted to where you coukd package him for another big time arm to really go for it all.

For all intents and purposes to start the season:

Hicks CF (S)
Judge RF (R)
Harper 1B (L)
Stanton DH (R)
Murphy 2B (L)
Torres SS (R)
Sanchez C (R)
Andujar 3B (R)
Frazier LF (R)

Didi adds another lefty bat. But that is nastyyyy

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not me. I want to keep him. Guy still put up great numbers. So quickly some forget the putrid playoff numbers ARod had put up before having a crazy 2009 that led to a WS ring.

It's always hard to gauge guys based on one series/playoff run. He had 22 ABs in the playoffs. That's a 4 game weekend series during the season. Just way too little to jump either way as you said.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
It's always hard to gauge guys based on one series/playoff run. He had 22 ABs in the playoffs. That's a 4 game weekend series during the season. Just way too little to jump either way as you said.
He was also abysmal for long stretches of the regular season. Way too streaky of a hitter for my tastes.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He was also abysmal for long stretches of the regular season. Way too streaky of a hitter for my tastes.

I think the issue was that the guys around him were doing the same thing at the same time. He's a very good #5/6 hitter. The guy just put up 100 RBI's after a massively slow start.

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think the issue was that the guys around him were doing the same thing at the same time. He's a very good #5/6 hitter. The guy just put up 100 RBI's after a massively slow start.
And while playing for the first time in a bigger market in NY...a bigger media market, which he handled extremely well.

And playing in the postseason for the 1st time ever...

These guys are human, an adjustment period takes time.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Not me. I want to keep him. Guy still put up great numbers. So quickly some forget the putrid playoff numbers ARod had put up before having a crazy 2009 that led to a WS ring.
People forget that Arod carried the yanks into the playoffs several times and won SS 3 times and MVP twice. but people only cared that he sucked in the playoffs.

Reactions: RGY

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
What?

He was a monster from like the middle of April onwards. Kept this team afloat when judge went down.
Torres early and Andujar late were just as responsible for keeping the team afloat. Stanton hit .249 with 165 strikeouts against right hand pitching. That's a big problem when most of the pitchers that he will face in big spots will be right handed.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Torres early and Andujar late were just as responsible for keeping the team afloat. Stanton hit .249 with 165 strikeouts against right hand pitching. That's a big problem when most of the pitchers that he will face in big spots will be right handed.

And the year before he hit .271 with 44 bombs off of RHP. There are some pretty damn good RHP's in the NL east too.

He still had a 115 OPS+ against RHP last year, which is well above average.

Think that he may have a better year after having a year to adjust to the league? I do.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I love Diaz, but his cost is going to be ridiculous.

Relievers are like the worst players to give up assets for.

If its something with Dunn going as the main piece, that isn't too bad. It's basically trading for Dunn's best case future self IMO.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I really don't want to trade a Kelenic or Dunn led prospect package for retained Cano and Diaz.

The only way it makes sense, despite my thinking, is I guess if the 2nd part is trading Thor for a bunch of cost controlled prospects. Which you'd hope would be an upgrade on the current crop, but even then, I don't know.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
go full yankees. sign corbin, harper and machado, and say eff you to the rest of baseball.
That's not really full-on Yankees anymore. Other teams--the Dodgers, Sox, maybe Philly, Cubs, Nats--can do that kind of stuff now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really don't want to trade a Kelenic or Dunn led prospect package for retained Cano and Diaz.

The only way it makes sense, despite my thinking, is I guess if the 2nd part is trading Thor for a bunch of cost controlled prospects. Which you'd hope would be an upgrade on the current crop, but even then, I don't know.
I could live with giving up one of the two, but both is hard to swallow, unless we're getting some other stuff, too.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I could live with giving up one of the two, but both is hard to swallow, unless we're getting some other stuff, too.

It's not giving up prospects in general that I don't like, it's the return. Giving up prospects to get a retained Cano and a reliever (albeit a great one) doesn't do it for me.

Cano is a gamble you take if you have money and can get him for nothing. It's not something I wanna get into if we're giving stuff back to get them to pay for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad