OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
The Astros had a lower batting average than the Yankees did during their 7 game set...

According to you, we should have won.

And there are much better offensive stats than batting average, which has almost become the +\- of baseball.
Stanton's OBP isn't spectacular either. He hits homers and he strikes out.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In the starter division, Pedro and Randy Johnson were the two most dominant, IMO, in my life. I saw a few good years of Nolan Ryan as well. Clemens is up there. Maddux and Glavine were also amazing, but they weren't "dominant" the way the other guys were. Like Pedro and Randy, they would just wreck your ****.

I'm probably forgetting guys.
Well, let me be clear on the standard I'm using. I'm talking about Mariano Rivera has a 205 ERA+. Second all-time is at 159. One at-bat, pitcher vs batter, nobody was as untouchable.

If we're talking about dominant in terms of value, completely different animal. Clemens is top 10 all-time in WAR, but peak Pedro was the fear of God.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, let me be clear on the standard I'm using. I'm talking about Mariano Rivera has a 205 ERA+. Second all-time is at 159. One at-bat, pitcher vs batter, nobody was as untouchable.

If we're talking about dominant in terms of value, completely different animal. Clemens is top 10 all-time in WAR, but peak Pedro was the fear of God.
Thing is, say you took Randy Johnson, and at 24 said, "Hey kid, you're going to close." In single-inning intervals, could he have been as dominant? I'm not going to argue he would be, but I think it's possible. deGrom just had an ERA+ of 216 in basically three years' worth of innings for a closer; could he repeat his performance if he were pitching an inning at a time? That's probably what impresses me most about Rivera--it wasn't just that he was dominant as a closer, but he was that dominant for so many years.

I still don't like comparing relievers to starters, though. Not using any stat. Though it's the same physical activity, the requirements of the role, to be great in the role, are very different.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Thing is, say you took Randy Johnson, and at 24 said, "Hey kid, you're going to close." In single-inning intervals, could he have been as dominant? I'm not going to argue he would be, but I think it's possible. deGrom just had an ERA+ of 216 in basically three years' worth of innings for a closer; could he repeat his performance if he were pitching an inning at a time? That's probably what impresses me most about Rivera--it wasn't just that he was dominant as a closer, but he was that dominant for so many years.

I still don't like comparing relievers to starters, though. Not using any stat. Though it's the same physical activity, the requirements of the role, to be great in the role, are very different.
Fair enough.

Happy birthday to the most dominant reliever ever and all-around good guy.

49 already :help:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

darko

Feb 16, 2009

ERA+ will say that 2000 was Pedro's most dominant season but IMO it's 1999.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
"Rosenthal says that the Mets’ offer includes some, but not all, of the following players: Jay Bruce, Anthony Swarzak, Jeff McNeil, and prospects Jarred Kelenic and Justin Dunn."

Later it says Vargas could also be in the mix. If it's some combination of the roster players, plus a single prospect, I could live with that.

Mets’ trade talks with Mariners for Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz ‘reaching critical stage’

I’m okay with it being Dunn. Giving up Kelenic or McNeil is just brain dead strength stupid.

Reactions: Joey Bones

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I may be done as a Met fan if that’s the deal. Until the Wilpons are gone, I see no reason to support this franchise anymore.

This just feels like a panic move to get fans in the seats. The reality is there’s a good chance this deal busts on both sides.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I like how a thoughtful and interesting way to build assets immediately turns malignant and poisonous just like that.

Somehow with a salary dump player with a NTC, we are the ones getting bottle necked.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This just feels like a panic move to get fans in the seats. The reality is there’s a good chance this deal busts on both sides.

From what I’m reading, it’s just about done. The only bust in this deal will be Cano for the next five years.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I like how a thoughtful and interesting way to build assets immediately turns malignant and poisonous just like that.

Somehow with a salary dump player with a NTC, we are the ones getting bottle necked.

Bottle necked is putting it kindly, but I guess we don’t need another thread cleaned up.

Reactions: Bob Richards

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
From what I’m reading, it’s just about done. The only bust in this deal will be Cano for the next five years.

Odds are everyone but maybe Kelenic busts. Dunn’s control is awful and McNeil doesn’t have a long history of guy’s who followed that minor league trajectory and splits and produced at the majors after age 23-24. It’s still not a smart deal though

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Odds are everyone but maybe Kelenic busts. Dunn’s control is awful and McNeil doesn’t have a long history of guy’s who followed that minor league trajectory and splits and produced at the majors after age 23-24. It’s still not a smart deal though

To be honest, Kelenic is what I’m worried about. How do you give up your best prospect in this kind of deal? Losing Dunn doesn’t bother me, and I guess you could be selling high on McNeil. Including Kelenic is just amazingly stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad