OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
And the year before he hit .271 with 44 bombs off of RHP. There are some pretty damn good RHP's in the NL east too.

He still had a 115 OPS+ against RHP last year, which is well above average.

Think that he may have a better year after having a year to adjust to the league? I do.
That was a career year that I don't believe that he will replicate. He hit .231 against righties in 2016. Last year was much more in line with the norm.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That was a career year that I don't believe that he will replicate. He hit .231 against righties in 2016. Last year was much more in line with the norm.

.260 and nearly a 900 OPS in 2015.
.274 and a .918 OPS the season before that.

If anything, last year was the outlier.

Also, why are we using batting average?

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Heyman reports Yankees have interest in Realmuto.
The Astros are believed willing to include Kyle Tucker, who is the type of lefthanded hitter the Marlins like, but probably not top pitching prospect Forrest Whitley. The issue with the Yankees’ talks apparently is that they still hold Gary Sanchez in high enough regard that they have resisted offering other top pieces in a package with Sanchez. The Marlins, who are run by ex-Yankee types (Derek Jeter, Gary Denbo) seem to like Sanchez as well but are hoping for a major package for Realmuto.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That is a meaningless collection of names lol

Two guys who were worse than Cano and two guys who.....were the best bats on the Mets?
They all became overpaid albatrosses shortly after their acquisitions.

This rumored deal is terrible for the Mets. The guy they picked 6th last yr to take on Cano's terrible contract and a reliever when guys like Kimbrel, Miller,DRob are available. And the Syndergaard rumors to top it off is even worse. I would be worried about the FO if these decisions come to fruition.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

This rumored deal is terrible for the Mets. The guy they picked 6th last yr to take on Cano's terrible contract and a reliever when guys like Kimbrel, Miller,DRob are available. And the Syndergaard rumors to top it off is even worse. I would be worried about the FO if these decisions come to fruition.

Oh come on, the Wright thing was completely unforeseeable. Even Cespedes' injuries were bad luck. Cuddyer and Bruce were bad, though Bruce had a 123 wRC+ after he came back and could still redeem himself. I mean everyone thought the Granderson deal was horrible after one season and he ended up being a very good player for the Mets. Maybe swap Bruce out with Bay or something until Bruce proves he sucks.

Also, speaking of sucks, Cassanate, really? Talk about a guy with not a single admirable quality.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

Are you actually drawing a meaningful connection between those names and a salary retained Cano? Or are you just using empty buzzwords because bad contracts in the past means you should never ever bother with them again?

Cuddyer made $8 for one year.

Bruce blows and none of us wanted him back. Cano in 80 games last year put up better a better WAR year than all but 2 seasons in Bruce's entire career.

Yoenis and Wright is a gigantic lol. Were we just supposed to let them walk? Because they would suffer terrible health problems after we signed them?

Reactions: nyr2k2

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They signed Wright after the 2012 season, in which he had a 7 WAR.

Injuries after 2013 season ruined him, but the guy was a great player. It sucks that missed so much time with injuries, but man it sucks even more that people forgot or newer/younger fans just didn't see him in his prime.

He was incredible.

Reactions: jas and nyr2k2

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Reactions: LeetchisGod

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why did they win then? The Astros and Red Sox consistently got clutch hits. Stanton is one of the last guys in our lineup that I would want at the plate in a clutch situation in the postseason.

The Astros had a lower batting average than the Yankees did during their 7 game set...

According to you, we should have won.

And there are much better offensive stats than batting average, which has almost become the +\- of baseball.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If its not a 1-for-1 swap then im not interested. Gary had a terrible year so you cannot judge him based of the recent srour memory. He still has potential. Of course, however, I would prefer Realmuto who is a more flexible hitter, not so one dimensional, stays on the ball longer, hits to all fields more consistently.
Gary is a better hitter.

Let’s not go nuts here. I like realmuto a bunch and he’s a great 2 way player, but Sanchez’s bat is incredible when he’s right.

Yankees are right to still value him highly.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In the starter division, Pedro and Randy Johnson were the two most dominant, IMO, in my life. I saw a few good years of Nolan Ryan as well. Clemens is up there. Maddux and Glavine were also amazing, but they weren't "dominant" the way the other guys were. Like Pedro and Randy, they would just wreck your shit.

I'm probably forgetting guys.

Reactions: NYRKING30

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Gary is a better hitter.

Let’s not go nuts here. I like realmuto a bunch and he’s a great 2 way player, but Sanchez’s bat is incredible when he’s right.

Yankees are right to still value him highly.
I said JT is a more flexible hitter, and quite honestly he really is. You presented the keyword, when Gary is “right.” When is not right is a horror show with his mechanics. Doesnt stay on the ball, shoulder flys open, and he constantly rolls over his wrists pulling everything. I see more consistency in Realmuto’s mechanics and hitting approach, maybe less power but overall more consistencty.

But I did not say he is definitely better either. Just different hitters imo.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
In the starter division, Pedro and Randy Johnson were the two most dominant, IMO, in my life. I saw a few good years of Nolan Ryan as well. Clemens is up there. Maddux and Glavine were also amazing, but they weren't "dominant" the way the other guys were. Like Pedro and Randy, they would just wreck your ****.

I'm probably forgetting guys.

I totally understand what you mean.

I just marveled with Maddux because even though he wasn't a 300 K death hurler, he was the most efficient human being who ever lived.

Maddux threw 13 complete game shutouts in under 100 pitches. My hot take is that he never used the bathroom because his body utilized every last molecule of food.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
LOL, the other thing with Maddux and Glavine (and some other guys, but mainly them)--those dudes got calls a full foot or more off the plate. It was like they were known for painting corners, and the umps just rolled with it. Which was fine, it was a different era: no K-Zone and electronic monitoring of pitches, the area play, horrific takeout slides, the idea that if you dove for a lot of balls you were automatically great at defense, steroids, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad