OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Apparently there are no more players who played in the MLB in the 20th century. Makes me think about Beltran who played 10 years in NYC. Is he a hall of famer? Curious about that as he has more games with the Mets than any other team.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Well that answers that. How can it be so simple but so much confusion? Are people accidentally calling his arbitration years ‘under contract’?

I guess the important part is the team still has the players rights but he’s likely going to cost significantly more depending on how the year goes of course.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Apparently there are no more players who played in the MLB in the 20th century. Makes me think about Beltran who played 10 years in NYC. Is he a hall of famer? Curious about that as he has more games with the Mets than any other team.
Big Sexy?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Paxton played last year under an arbitration award. He will play this season under an arbitration award (I read like $8.5 is the projection IIRC). He will play the following season under a subsequent arbitration award. And then he is a free agent. I don't know why everything is so confusing with that.

Reactions: darko

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
*My skins flushes into black from the internal hemorrhage*

maxresdefault.jpg

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
What is the reason for the Mets trading Noah or DeGrom again? Is this all about the Wilsons not spending?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What is the reason for the Mets trading Noah or DeGrom again? Is this all about the Wilsons not spending?
No, the logic is that the Mets could still have a good rotation (potentially signing a free agent) while filling a number of other holes if they moved one of the two. Trading from a strength to address weaknesses. They just have to make sure that they don't turn that strength into a weakness itself, which is why they're examining some of the top guys on the free agent market.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If they trade Thor, they will likely try to get one of Corbin, Happ, etc. So it's not an issue of spending.

Though their pitching depth is better with deGrom+Thor instead of deGrom+anyone else in FA

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
No, the logic is that the Mets could still have a good rotation (potentially signing a free agent) while filling a number of other holes if they moved one of the two. Trading from a strength to address weaknesses. They just have to make sure that they don't turn that strength into a weakness itself, which is why they're examining some of the top guys on the free agent market.

If I’m trading Thor, I need more than a bushel of prospects. Beningo proposed Thor for George Springer, and Evan Roberts has floated the idea of Thor for Kris Bryant. I don’t know if those are possible, but that’s what I’m looking for as a return. Get an impact bat.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If I’m trading Thor, I need more than a bushel of prospects. Beningo proposed Thor for George Springer, and Evan Roberts has floated the idea of Thor for Kris Bryant. I don’t know if those are possible, but that’s what I’m looking for as a return. Get an impact bat.
Yeah for sure. I mean I'd gladly take a top prospect as well, but I need an impact player or at least a bat that's really close to being a big-time player.

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
If they trade Thor, they will likely try to get one of Corbin, Happ, etc. So it's not an issue of spending.

Though their pitching depth is better with deGrom+Thor instead of deGrom+anyone else in FA

Corbin wouldn't be so bad even though he's had injury problems. Happ and Kuechel are meh. I'd also wanna see an impact player now, not a prospect. Feel like you need a sure thing if you move one of those guys.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Giancarlo Stanton - DH - Yankees
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe the Yankees could be trying to trade outfielder Giancarlo Stanton.
Cafardo notes that while it's obviously a massive contract, the Dodgers could be one team willing to take it on, and it's also a place that Stanton is likely to approve a deal to. The Giants and Phillies could also consider making a play for him as a cheaper alternative to signing Bryce Harper or Manny Machado. Of course, the reason that the Yankees would be looking to shed Stanton's contract, would be to ink Harper or Machado themselves. It sounds like an extreme long shot at this point, but it can't completely be ruled out.
Source: Boston Globe

This would make me so happy. Cashman needs to correct his mistake if possible.

Reactions: Cassano

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I would be shocked if anyone wants to take on Stanton's contract...but if Cashman can unload it,that would be huge.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Goodbye TOEnight show. Good luck.

Also, not sure what to even think about these Cano rumors. He is well on the wrong side of 30 on the downswing of his career approaching the back 9 with a lot of money owed. He would likely only play 1B but did jump at 3B this past year with the Mariners. I dont like it because it probably takes us out of the running for Machado/Harper unless Seattle eats a decent amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad