Confirmed with Link: Mittelstadt re-signed (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Solide deal. Maybe a little bit too AAV, but hey.

Seems like they pencil Ritchie in to take that 2C during those 3 years?.....
Ritchie's progression is likely penciled in as OHL next season -> NHL in 25-26 at wing -> attempt center responsibilities, maybe even take over for Mitts at 2C in 26-27 -> fully takeover Mitts' spot in 27-28. Lots has to go right for that to be the case.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
cMac sucks ass at contracts.

We most likely lose our 2C in three years and don't really save much against the cap for it. I'd rather them have just given him a large AAV and keep him for 7/8 years and just let Drouin walk.

Hopefully Ritchie is the real deal down the road.
How is long term better?

You’re essentially cutting off your own foot in that case as you’re weakening the team during the period where the elite players are still elite

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Solide deal. Maybe a little bit too AAV, but hey.

Seems like they pencil Ritchie in to take that 2C during those 3 years?.....
I would assume this is the plan, but the cap will go up, and the Avs are due to pay Rants and Makar a significant amount more by then. So, I guess I don't understand the handwringing, esp. if it helps them keep JD around. Maybe I will hate it more when he's a UFA.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
this guy's gonna hit 75+ points next year and we'll be saying this contract is a bargain vs. what other players around the league are getting.
I don't think that's the problem. He will perform well imo but he will perform so well that he will price himself out of Colorado.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Ritchie's progression is likely penciled in as OHL next season -> NHL in 25-26 at wing -> attempt center responsibilities, maybe even take over for Mitts at 2C in 26-27 -> fully takeover Mitts' spot in 27-28. Lots has to go right for that to be the case.
Definitely seems like a nice slow correct arc.

theoretically anyway..

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Term with Drouin is terrifying.

The reaction around here when it ends up being like 6 years and $4M... Not great Bob!

If Drouin gets big term, it better start with a 3, and a low 3 at that.
This is where I probably fall on the wrong side of the board (among the many ways actually)
I think even at $4m, considering the rising cap that will be mid-low 3rd line money.
Seeing Drouin adjust and improve his 2 way game just this season makes me confident $3-4m will still prove a value.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I don't hate it. It's hard to get a 2C under 5 mill even if the term isn't long. RFA's have more leverage now IMO.

Honestly just a fair contract. Would have wanted an extra year or two but not worth the extra money given where the Avs are at. Would have been nice to shave 600k off. Not a steal or anything. 3rd year shoukd ve great value given the cap will rise but than we likely lose him so balances out.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
Buffalo fan here. It's a great AAV for you guys.

IMO.....Casey was always looking for a shorter term with this deal, which is why Adams traded him. Adams is big into "guys who want to be in Buffalo"....and if Casey was angling to take a 3 year deal and then cash in at the end, there's no way that Adams would have been amenable to that.

The term makes some sense to you guys as well. Allows you to bring Ritchie along slowly and then build him up to take over Casey's role on a cheap deal/ELC. Plus, the low AAV on the shorter team fits your cap structure well.

Also a Sabres fan. Casey publicly said that nobody from the Sabres org reached out to him for an extension at all. Then he got traded. Adams wouldn't know what Casey wanted because Kevyn Adams never spoke with Casey's agent about an extension.

Sabres drama aside I think this is a reasonable deal for everybody and any criticism of term/AAV is more about the Av's cap management overall then it is about Mitts actual value. Looking at it through that lens makes it seem like a good contract to somebody on the outside.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Honestly, totally okay with Mitts betting on himself. He's going to keep pushing for a bigger contract, and that's awesome for the Avs. Really hope they can find him a consistent winger to play with to build some chemistry. He really does seem like the type of guy to take what he experienced with the Avs and use that to drive his summer training. Wouldn't be surprised to see him take another step this upcoming year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
So we have any idea where an arbitration result would land? A general range?
4-4.5?
4.5-5?
5-5.5?
5.5-6?

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Honestly, totally okay with Mitts betting on himself. He's going to keep pushing for a bigger contract, and that's awesome for the Avs. Really hope they can find him a consistent winger to play with to build some chemistry. He really does seem like the type of guy to take what he experienced with the Avs and use that to drive his summer training. Wouldn't be surprised to see him take another step this upcoming year.
I means it's hopefully mikko, but who would that consistent winner be for you if it's somehow Ufa?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Also a Sabres fan. Casey publicly said that nobody from the Sabres org reached out to him for an extension at all. Then he got traded. Adams wouldn't know what Casey wanted because Kevyn Adams never spoke with Casey's agent about an extension.

You should really stop believing what people say publicly. I'm not acusing Mitts camp is lying here but literally all these f***ers are lying constantly....

Saying 'Well Casey publicly said' holds zero weight.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
I'm fine with this. It's a small risk yes but I truly believe in Mitts progression and this aav will look awesome.

Tomen

Jun 21, 2024
Yup but maybe someday the Avs are going to find a gem in the draft outside of the top picks. At least i hope they will
I feel like for that to happen we need to change our draft philosophy a bit. The last like 6 years we have barely hit on anything past the 1st round. Might be time to just take more boom or bust/ riskier prospects be it undersized guys or russians or projects. Even if just one of those hits you greatly profit from them as a contender where you need value from players on ELCs.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
5.75 million with the cap mostly likely going up for the next few years is fine. He will probably get the offensive bump and play at value for that contract. I think its obvious too that avs have a plan to have a 2c by end of year 3. Why do we have to run with the "250k overpay" narrative on every signing? Like it's fine value for both sides.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad