Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Marner can’t play Center

He’d be worse than nylander at it, and nylander can’t play center either

They are wingers, they’ve been wingers from their moment they entered the nhl, you can’t just switch your position that easily.

Marner at least knows where his end of the rink is, and smaller but talented players often got moved to center in the past.. I assume Marner must be bad at faceoffs or they would have tried him at center by now

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That’s not what Friedman said.

"It's funny because one player told me that there are some players who have kind of watched from outside, about what's gone on with this whole [Mitch] Marner thing over the last month or two and were like, 'I want no part of that. Like, I don't want any part of that...'

I think there were some players who were like, 'Nope. That's not going to be me.'"

I’m pretty sure it had more to do with the media frenzy, picking apart of Mitch Marner and calls for him to be traded rather than the fan side

And I don’t think it’s sensationalist at all. I think it’s a garauntee that players are aware of it and that it factored into discussions with at least some of the guys who were deciding where to play next year
I think it comes down to what you call media. There are degrees here. For example, I would hardly call Dangle media but he was a fan who has developed into a click baiting whore...not above tea bagging anyone on the team to try to generate views

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You’re wrong! Competing is situational and depends on which way the compass is pointing.
You somehow managed to be wrong in both your original post, and your post replying to yourself to tell yourself you were wrong.
Competing isn't situational. But you're not talking about competing. You're talking about something else, and incorrectly claiming that it's the only way to compete.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It’s highly unlikely he is not training. It’s more likely he is focused on functional strength rather than bulk and pure strength.
Mitch Marner on the way to the Gym for daily workout focused on functional strength. :wg:

1720448066739.png

Marner dividing his $10.9 mil equally and working out validating his current contract.

1720448275198.png

That is why he is asking for a nice raise to + $12 mil plus so he can up his functional strength training regiment.

1720448596402.png

He believes he can carry more $$$ weight and it would give him a better workout carrying a bigger contract forward.

This is the general perception of what drives and motivates Marner most. IMO

Which has Leaf Nation fans asking and Treliving pondering what comes next?

1720449804006.png

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

You were saying?

I'm confused what your showing people here... Marner gets behind Barzal and receives a breakaway pass and you believe that this video shows him winning a battle vs Barzal? I could show you Brian Gionta doing this to Chara.

This isn't a battle.

... because he has tunnel vision on Marner gaining weight which he thinks he will fall down less, it's illogical but lets let him have his fun ...:) If i was him I would have picked Crosby who has legs like California redwoods but that is just me...

Clearly Mitch has balance problems and staying on his skates....

...and what is this? Marner skating in warmups lol. You do know the difference between a contact sport and a non contact sport right? Lol

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
1. Gretzky had a hard shot just not 100mph shot.
Not compared to many others.

2. There are always going to be exception in any rules, you can’t use exceptions as general.

I didn't do that; don't put words in my mouth.

3. I agree having an accurate shot is more important but the question is does a player having harder shot better than having a weaker shot.

The question is, what does that even mean?

To put it simply, if there are two players and all things are equal(skating, speed, size, skill, grit…) except for the power in their shot, would the player with the harder shot be more favourable than the one with the weaker shot.

Be more favourable???

I am pretty sure most if not all would pick the one with the harder shot.

I am pretty sure most would pick the one with the more accurate shot.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
A realy hard accurate shot must be better then a weak accurate shot.

It isn't even necessarily relevant. For example, if you can thread the puck between the goalie and the post (ie. an accurate shot), how hard the shot is is irrelevant. If you can put the puck over the goalie's stick side shoulder into the net it doesn't matter whether the puck is moving 75mph or 90mph.

If you cannot hit either of those two targets, it doesn't matter worth a damn how hard your shot is.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Mitch Marner on the way to the Gym for daily workout focused on functional strength. :wg:

View attachment 893267

Marner dividing his $10.9 mil equally and working out validating his current contract.

View attachment 893268

That is why he is asking for a nice raise to + $12 mil plus so he can up his functional strength training regiment.

View attachment 893270

He believes he can carry more $$$ weight and it would give him a better workout carrying a bigger contract forward.

This is the general perception of what drives and motivates Marner most. IMO

Which has Leaf Nation fans asking and Treliving pondering what comes next?

View attachment 893275
1720457352789.jpeg

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'm confused what your showing people here... Marner gets behind Barzal and receives a breakaway pass and you believe that this video shows him winning a battle vs Barzal? I could show you Brian Gionta doing this to Chara.

This isn't a battle.

...and what is this? Marner skating in warmups lol. You do know the difference between a contact sport and a non contact sport right? Lol

It's been so long since I posted, remind me who scored in that first video and who was chasing who? Who did you say Marner had to emulate?

Doctor Hockey let me be frank with you .. the smart players dont need to battle, they out skill their opponents... so with Barzal's big speedy legs why didn't he catch Marner? I though that Barzal is the far superior player due to conditioning and sprint speed...? It's like that video refutes everything you've been claiming is needed for Marner to be a better hockey player.

Anyone, I mean ANYONE who has spent two minutes in hockey knows that power skating and figure skating are the two most important add on drills/courses that any hockey player who wants to improve their game should take, you still dont get the importance of edges for a player like Marner. You dont need beefy tree like legs to be a great player... that is the beauty of hockey. There is an advantage to not carrying weight and being light on your feet... it's not Rocket Surgery. It's very very common hockey knowledge.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
…and yet avoids contact and scrums like the plague. Also, still has a muffin shot.

Bert engaged every scrum he could find so clearly Bert > Marner? Bert must be a 100 - 120 point guy? Hockey does math funny, the lower the points you score the better the player you are? I learn something new every day I come here. "Beefy Legs" Barzal > Marner , Bert > Marner .... Hockey is fun!

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Quoting yourself is awkward.

Not if one thinks of himself as a source of all knowledge.

Also why is Mitch still here? Not a single GM thinks Marner would improve them? Tough tit I tell you.

edit: GM be like, let me quickly get rid of two $6M players to accommodate this choker, how many first-rounders for that one-year privilege?

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I cant believe they didnt trade marner and we are running it back again. Wow.

RFA contract, playoff choker, and stats boosted by Matthews. Mitch is un-tradable.

Something that was clear to everyone for a while now. Yes I mean everyone, including his PR team. That's why they can't stop posting.

Reactions: ToneDog

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah Mirtle was on the JD Bunkis show and basically said the Leafs didn't get any good trade offers for Mitch to the point where they didn't even bother asking him to waive because the offers either didn't exist or sucked. So now they're looking at either an extension or letting him hit UFA.

There isn't a market for a small soft winger whose overpaid, wants McDavid money and has 1 year left on an existing overpay, and has a bad playoff track record whose agent is willing to sewer his favorite destination

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I cant believe they didnt trade marner and we are running it back again. Wow.
It's baffling, for sure, but if anyone is actually surprised by this, you simply haven't been paying close enough attention.

This organization has coddled these guys from the second they were drafted. Bent over backwards at their every whim.

You don't go from that philosophy, to ruthlessly pushing these guys out the door, in an instant. It was never going to happen.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Yeah Mirtle was on the JD Bunkis show and basically said the Leafs didn't get any good trade offers for Mitch to the point where they didn't even bother asking him to waive because the offers either didn't exist or sucked. So now they're looking at either an extension or letting him hit UFA.

There isn't a market for a small soft winger whose overpaid, wants McDavid money and has 1 year left on an existing overpay, and has a bad playoff track record whose agent is willing to sewer his favorite destination
I'm shocked I tell ya.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad