Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Joe Veleno re-signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
im thinking that holls 2x3.4 goes to sjs for a 7th now as the future consideration to give detroit more cap space
Think it’s gonna cost more than that to move Holl.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
detroit previously sent walman and a 2nd to sjs for future considerations
Detroit fans should probably let go of this developing into something at this point. I mean the league said you couldn’t do that anymore but it appears to be the same Ole boys club on this move to date.

If San Jose does something curious on the waiver wire out of camp is really all this could be and that seems dubious.

My highest thought at the time is they wouldn’t take who we wanted at the draft but then they immediately moved up…

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Detroit fans should probably let go of this developing into something at this point. I mean the league said you couldn’t do that anymore but it appears to be the same Ole boys club on this move to date.

If San Jose does something curious on the waiver wire out of camp is really all this could be and that seems dubious.

My highest thought at the time is they wouldn’t take who we wanted at the draft but then they immediately moved up…
i cant get over the thought that we should have gotten back a 2nd for walman plus kept the 2nd we shipped . but i guess yzerman figured it was a weak draft plus knew , like were seeinhg now , he was going to need the cap space

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He was always getting right around $2.1-$2.3 million. Too many competitive salaries out there for like players. Not sure how anyone thinks this is a bad contract. He’s exactly what he’s always been expected to be. A really good two-way player now, who’s better and better offensively every year, heading into his prime years. Will likely settle into being a very good 3C.

Detroit fans weren’t used to having to develop players in the NHL, like they had to do with both Veleno and Rasmussen. They both should’ve played a year or two more in the AHL, but were forced to play up, and now we’re gonna see if it pays off or not playing in the NHL those years. Very good chance, both players become very good, consistent NHLers over the next 6-8 years, as they head into their prime. Rasmussen already is a really good, versatile NHL player, who nobody should now be surprised, if he starts putting up bigger numbers. Whether from the wing or pivot. His hands are just to good not to, and big Cs take longer to develop and have the game slow down for them.

All Cs do, and both had to develop in the NHL playing with journeymen talent. Now the game has slowed down for them, and they have better players to play with then a couple of those past seasons. They didn’t have Tarasenko, Debrincat, Raymond and Kane to play with like Kasper and Danielson will have.

Very good bet when you’re looking at Detroit’s lineup a year from now, people will look at both contracts as steals. It’s a big year for both players.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Eh. I’d have rather attached him to Holl in a trade to free up cap and brought up Danielson and Kasper. Now I’m convinced neither will be up full time. f***ing lame.

Reactions: Realgud

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
yzerman is building a culture based in work ethic and 100% commitment to the game . he will take guys of lesser talent if they fit his culture over more talented players . players like copp , rasmussen and veleno got the right stuff to go out there and be one of yzermans sled dogs for 98 games a year . jv dont have alot of offensive talent , but has wheels , is strong , and hustles , and is a center

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Meh signing that could work out a bit better if Veleno can take a big step forward rather than cement himself as a 4th liner over the next 2yrs.

By end of this deal, 2M will be the going rate for a solid 4C.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
detroit previously sent walman and a 2nd to sjs for future considerations
...and?

All due respect, but you're dreaming if you think SJ is going to take Holl of your hands without compensation.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
...and?

All due respect, but you're dreaming if you think SJ is going to take Holl of your hands without compensation.
do you know how to read ? the compensation is them getting a 2nd and walman for nothing . so they now owe detroit future considerations , as in taking on holls cap hit . as in detroit paid a 2nd and walman for sjs to eventually take holl

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
yzerman is building a culture based in work ethic and 100% commitment to the game . he will take guys of lesser talent if they fit his culture over more talented players . players like copp , rasmussen and veleno got the right stuff to go out there and be one of yzermans sled dogs for 98 games a year . jv dont have alot of offensive talent , but has wheels , is strong , and hustles , and is a center
Players like Copp, Ras, Veleno don't do the right stuff out there. You probably confuse them with players like Filppula and Cleary or going even further Draper and Maltby. Those were really character guys that tilted the ice in a right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad