Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
History says different. Don't know about you but if it was my money, I would not be willing to pay $100m to find out.

When you run a marathon, do you go all out from the start? As it stands, Florida looks like they are running out gas while the Oilers, especially McDavid, look fresh.
I think Florida may be out of gas, they have definitely played as hard as they can play throughout.

To me, they also look like a bully that got punched in the mouth.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
This may be a good time to note Campbell is still making $5m/year and Nurse is at 9.25M/year while playing less than Cody Ceci for an Oilers team that is 1 game away from the cup.

You want your stars to elevate and take over games. You want players to live up to their caphit and exceed them but some will likely fall short. Doesn't automatically means you're seasons done for many teams
Right but what you cant have is all 4 of our top caphit guys falling short..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This playoff run has netted the Oilers probably 50 60 mill in revenue
If they win s cup that doubles
They will never be in tye red for the next 5 years lol

May be more than 50-60m

Average 2500seat x 18500 = 46m (x3) + concessions and merch. There is some revenue sharing etc in there but I imagine more than 60m. Connor McDavid will be catapulted to legend status which is good for the league if they win.

Probably going to pull 150-200m out of this and maybe more.

AI agrees with you but I dont think it knows EDM is selling tickets for 6500 a pop behind the benches and boxes.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think Florida may be out of gas, they have definitely played as hard as they can play throughout.

Regardless of how tired the Panthers appear, I expect tonight’s game to be one for the ages, both teams deserve to be in the final and that’s a good thing for hockey fans imo………

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Im usually not agreeing with you , i think, or i might think about someone else.
But Panther fans has not been happy with Barkov previous playoffs. Regular season yes, but not playoffs. Absolutly not in the Mack McDavid tier. Know to little about Drai overall.

The Barkov vs Marner, i dont know. I lean to Barkov. But Had they switch teams, Marner would be in the final now no doubt about it. And Barkov would not make leafs a playoff team of a sudden.

Oh yeah, small scared wingers are interchangeable with big 2 way Cs.

What kind of joke is your post? Mitch would do better without Matthews? Fighting alongside Tkachuk?

Are we talking about the same Mitch Marner? Marner is useless in playoffs and you want to pretend he could replace Barkov without Florida taking a hit :D :D.

There are not enough 1st round picks in the league to slap on Mitch to make Florida consider this 1 for 1 trade. No team gets to SC finals with scared Mitch playing 20+min a game.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

What kind of joke is your post? Mitch would do better without Matthews? Fighting alongside Tkachuk?

Are we talking about the same Mitch Marner? Marner is useless in playoffs and you want to pretend he could replace Barkov without Florida taking a hit :D :D.

There are not enough 1st round picks in the league to slap on Mitch to make Florida consider this 1 for 1 trade. No team gets to SC finals with scared Mitch playing 20+min a game.
It is incredible that after watching this guy get worse in the playoffs over the last 8 years, some of the Marner delusion is mind boggling. We will be worse without him (how?). We will lose a Marner trade (OK), he is better than Barkov (LOL), he is worth extending for $100m (LOL), let's see him under Berube (please) blah blah blah.

He is a more expensive Johnny Gaudreau and some want to make him a more expensive Panarin. Get what you can, use the extra cap space and move on. Allowing him to walk is not acceptable (yeah I know Mitch holds all the cards and if he wants to stay that is his decision).

What is the worst that can happen w/o him next April? We lose in 4 in round #1 instead of 5,6 or 7?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

If you dont think Panther could get to the finals without Barkov , then it is not my post that is the joke. Or if you think leafs suddenly would be a contender for the final with Barkov. Even if Marner would be 10times worse then Barkov , Panthers would still make it. It is called a team. And a system. And a coach. And a D. And a goalie.... and a goalie and a goalie..

And nowere did i write that Marner would do better. Or that Panthers would not take a hit. He would get to the final because Panthers is a way better team . Not Marner himself. Specsavers ffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I've been a Leafs' fan for many many years. I desperately want them to win a Cup! I really like Matthews, he is a great player. But I would take McDavid over Matthews without even having to think about it.
Oh yeah, McDavid over Matthews. Speed makes a huge difference in the playoffs, which is why I think Nylander always stands out above our other stars. You need to be able to generate off the rush with all the double coverage. That doesn't change the fact that Matthews is probably the most effective player in the league at even strength during the regular season

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lol I'm not expecting anything anything good from this organization from this offseason, got a bad feeling.

I'm expecting Marner at $12.916M x 8 to be announced like any day, full NMC of course.
Shoot me if Seravelli is not right. Seriously, the stupidity of this organization under Shanny is making it hard to be invested in this team. FFS I thought we'd have a cup or two after losing to the Caps in 6.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Oh yeah, McDavid over Matthews. Speed makes a huge difference in the playoffs, which is why I think Nylander always stands out above our other stars. You need to be able to generate off the rush with all the double coverage. That doesn't change the fact that Matthews is probably the most effective player in the league at even strength during the regular season
He is certainly one of them.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Here comes the 13.5 x 8
:laugh:

Expect the unexpected

Shoot me if Seravelli is not right. Seriously, the stupidity of this organization under Shanny is making it hard to be invested in this team. FFS I thought we'd have a cup or two after losing to the Caps in 6.
I always discuss this with my brother, who’s been a fan since the Luke Schenn days. If someone told this board going into 17-18 that we would lose 7 of 8 years without winning a round, theyd call that guy crazy

The foundation of the team was good, still lacking another defencemen, but it was very good. How this has gotten screwed up is almost comical

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

3 punches to McDavids chops did it. EDM is playing pretty dirty now when they can get away with it.

Here comes the 13.5 x 8
:laugh:

Expect the unexpected

I always discuss this with my brother, who’s been a fan since the Luke Schenn days. If someone told this board going into 17-18 that we would lose 7 of 8 years without winning a round, theyd call that guy crazy

The foundation of the team was good, still lacking another defencemen, but it was very good. How this has gotten screwed up is almost comical

MLSE leaks vs Ferris leaks vs made up BS. I honestly have no idea what is going to happen.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Dubas and Shanahan.

Bob is out of gas anyway. If Florida doesn't get better goaltending today, they don't have much of a chance.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's less ego and more logic

He can control his fate in 12 months why give that up?

I think there’s a sign and trade middle ground where he works with Toronto on a new destination, gets the full 8 years and AAV he wants, plus protections the other team is willing to offer. Or maybe through that process realizes $12.5 million isn’t actually on the table for him across the league. Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad