Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
There's so much subterfuge with contract negotiations. There's so much half truths, partial truths, misunderstandings, misdirection, and leveraging.

When Shanahan retires, they are going to write a fascinating book

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Add up their respective salaries, now try and fill out a winning team roster, can’t be done………
In theory it can be done even without top ELCs.

Let’s say we swap out our top 4 (47mil) Mack, McD, Drai and Barkov(44.3mil), Demko is at 5mil caphit, that’s 49.3mil. Instead of Reilly, you switch with Elkholm at 6.25mil. Hyman instead of Bert for 5.5mil. Domi at 3mil. Trade Calle and Kampf for Colton Ross, Trade Reaves for Rempe, trade for Carlo at 4.1mil, trade for Whitecloud at 2.75mil

Your lineup will be

Drai-McD-Hyman=26.5mil
Knies-Mack-Domi=16.475mil
McMann-Barkov-Colton=16.2.mil
Dewar-Holmberg-Rempe=2.8mil
Robbie=1mil

Ekholm-Carlo=10.35mil
McCabe-Whitecloud=4.75mil
Benoit-Lilly=3.5mil
Gio-850k

Demko-5mil
Woll-1mil

This is pretty close to 88mil
But this is all in theory

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
...or he doesn't want to play in the places willing to offer that
They won’t be able to trade him before July 1st because he’s owed a $7.5M signing bonus on that date which no trade partner will want to pay. It may take beyond July 2nd to finalize a deal where his agent needs to negotiate a long term extension with their trading partner.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I don’t know if Matthews would have won a memorial cup! Nothing suggest he would have. Nothing.
Or that he wouldn’t. It’s all conjecture but Leafs don’t play in the OHL so why should we care ?

Last edited:

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
A Tavares buyout costs us 10.4 against the cap this season, a huge savings of 600k. You're right, Tavares is a much bigger issue, but there is nothing to be done about him until the end of next season.

We can't buy him out, we can't send him down, and we can't trade him unless we want to strap a 1st rounder to him. Our literal only hope for this season is he goes on LTIR.
Even then he needs to agree to any trade and he likely won’t anyway.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think there’s a sign and trade middle ground where he works with Toronto on a new destination, gets the full 8 years and AAV he wants, plus protections the other team is willing to offer. Or maybe through that process realizes $12.5 million isn’t actually on the table for him across the league. Who knows.

I would be amazed if there is 12.5m elsewhere for him. I can hardly see the 10.9m being available.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would be amazed if there is 12.5m elsewhere for him. I can hardly see the 10.9m being available.

It’s funny how all these numbers all come together full circle.

7x years at $12.5 million going to free agency is $87.5 million. This is what another team can offer him if they get to that magic cap number, and I think that number is extremely optimistic.

$87.5 million over 8 years is $10.975 million in cap per season.

So the Leafs actually hold the hammer here because it’s hard to see Marner getting $87.5 million in commitment on the next deal. The Leafs can offer it but it’s over 8 years and lowers the cap down to his exact same salary now. (Which he doesn’t deserve anyway).

So there’s a risk factor here where Marner gives up a lot of control and enters uncertain territory if he’s uncooperative about a sign and trade or is very aggressive vs Toronto and demands the stars and the moon. He has to realize he’s not as marketable and must have as when he was 21 and the sky was the limit. The hockey world knows who he is…

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
It’s funny how all these numbers all come together full circle.

7x years at $12.5 million going to free agency is $87.5 million. This is what another team can offer him if they get to that magic cap number, and I think that number is extremely optimistic.

$87.5 million over 8 years is $10.975 million in cap per season.

So the Leafs actually hold the hammer here because it’s hard to see Marner getting $87.5 million in commitment on the next deal. The Leafs can offer it but it’s over 8 years and lowers the cap down to his exact same salary now. (Which he doesn’t deserve anyway).

So there’s a risk factor here where Marner gives up a lot of control and enters uncertain territory if he’s uncooperative about a sign and trade or is very aggressive vs Toronto and demands the stars and the moon. He has to realize he’s not as marketable and must have as when he was 21 and the sky was the limit. The hockey world knows who he is…
Your logic is sound but the Leafs don’t operate logically. Nylander got 11.5 x 8 = $92 million. 92/7 = 13.14 . WHAT TEAM WAS PAYING NYLANDER $13 mil A YEAR???

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
We've all watched through some pretty dark times but for some reason this feels like the last straw for me. Maybe it's my age. I just can't make up a logical reason anymore why I should dedicate this amount of my life to a team that is not serious about the things I want them to be serious about.

I'd rather do something else with my life but it's hard to walk away with so much invested to date and I know IF we ever do win it'll be cathartic and nothing in my life will ever match that feeling.
I am very seriously thinking about handing in my maple fan card that I have had since late 60s if Marner gets extended..

To me if MLSE sign him for any amount they are just interested in winning the president trophy. That's all Mitch wants is regular season...

Disappointing being a leafs fan

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I doubt Marner's ego will allow his to sign a deal where doesn't have a full NMC like they gave to Nylander. The choice may well end up being either being stuck with Marner for another 8 years, or letting him walk for nothing.
Then let him walk. It’s not for nothing. It’s to build a better team. His $12M will come in handy.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I am very seriously thinking about handing in my maple fan card that I have had since late 60s if Marner gets extended..

To me if MLSE sign him for any amount they are just interested in winning the president trophy. That's all Mitch wants is regular season...

Disappointing being a leafs fan
Me too but I felt that way when they extended Rielly because I knew they were never going to be serious about building a playoff contending defense group. If they don’t re-sign Marner, hopefully they will be able to do that.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Me too but I felt that way when they extended Rielly because I knew they were never going to be serious about building a playoff contending defense group. If they don’t re-sign Marner, hopefully they will be able to do that.

Would be amazing to see all the whiny Leaf fans leave, can discuss hockey for once.

Reactions: Notsince67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad