Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I see people here hating on our best player I'm both the regular season and playoffs.

Marner is a fantastic player who this year will challenge for the league MVP and the best defensive player.

Our best player is debatable, and if McDavid is healthy no one is challenging him probably for MVP, but I agree with the overall message.

We have camps here that hate on every one of our core players incessantly and it’s annoying and frankly stupid.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Our best player is debatable, and if McDavid is healthy no one is challenging him probably for MVP, but I agree with the overall message.

We have camps here that hate on every one of our core players incessantly and it’s annoying and frankly stupid.
Agreed but there is loving or hating a player and then there is reality. Some of the Marner and Nylander takes are truly entertaining.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Agreed but there is loving or hating a player and then there is reality. Some of the Marner and Nylander takes are truly entertaining.

Yeah, it definitely can cut both ways, but the negative voices are far more dramatic and relentless.

Reactions: ToneDog

MavisGoldberg

Oct 8, 2023
Why are these discussions still going on in 2023? 99 points, Selke finalist. 26 years-old. You keep him and watch him break Mats all-time Leafs point record.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why are these discussions still going on in 2023? 99 points, Selke finalist. 26 years-old. You keep him and watch him break Mats all-time Leafs point record.
Team success is the only think I'm interested in, especially in the playoffs so I couldn't possibly care less about the points record, or any other individual records unless they're accompanied by team success in the playoffs.

MavisGoldberg

Oct 8, 2023
Team success is the only think I'm interested in, especially in the playoffs so I couldn't possibly care less about the points record, or any other individual records unless they're accompanied by team success in the playoffs.
I know but what team is trading a 2 way superstar in his prime? Rarely ever happens in NHL history. How does that make you better?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know but what team is trading a 2 way superstar in his prime? Rarely ever happens in NHL history. How does that make you better?
He's obviously not getting traded so these Marner thread titles should probably be changed or just have the 2 Marner threads merged with a new title.

As far as getting better, that depends on what the team looks like after the trade. This core is 1-7 in playoff series so all I know for sure is that it's hard to be much worse than we've been.

Reactions: MavisGoldberg

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's obviously not getting traded so these Marner thread titles should probably be changed or just have the 2 Marner threads merged with a new title.

As far as getting better, that depends on what the team looks like after the trade. This core is 1-7 in playoff series so all I know for sure is that it's hard to be much worse than we've been.

While that may be true, it’s not really the right way of looking at it. This team hasn’t got it done but moving a player like Marner can easily move you further away from improving that record. In the moment, the 1-7 itself is immaterial and all you can really do is build out the best team to put yourself in the best position to succeed now

Reactions: MavisGoldberg

MavisGoldberg

Oct 8, 2023
I find the "Rounds won" stuff silly. Florida is in a big fight just to make the playoffs and they made the finals. Playoffs can be fluky in the NHL. Same with MLB.
Gotta say, I thought the 2022' Leaf playoff team was better than the 23 one, yet 0 rounds won in 22 and they beat Tampa in 23. The 22 team got a horrible break on that goaled called-back in game 7. The 23 team got a big break with all the Tampa injuries.
That's what winning rounds often comes down to.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While that may be true, it’s not really the right way of looking at it. This team hasn’t got it done but moving a player like Marner can easily move you further away from improving that record. In the moment, the 1-7 itself is immaterial and all you can really do is build out the best team to put yourself in the best position to succeed now
Trading Marner could make us worse, or it could make us better, there are no guarantees either way.

You keep saying 1-7 is immaterial if you like, IMO it says something about the kind of team we have here, the core players in particular.

I find the "Rounds won" stuff silly. Florida is in a big fight just to make the playoffs and they made the finals. Playoffs can be fluky in the NHL. Same with MLB.
Ya we're 1-7 but it's all just a big fluke. OK then. :rolleyes:

MavisGoldberg

Oct 8, 2023
Caps never blew up their team and at age 32 Ovi won a cup. Marner and Matthews are currently 6 years younger than that

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You'd have to know the return before evaluating the trade don't you?

However, he probably doesn't have enough value to bring in enough to make the Leafs winners.

He would bring in lessor players, and it isn't like you'd get Aho and Slavin for him.

Leafs have to get much more mileage from other players, to prop up the double digits.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You keep saying 1-7 is immaterial if you like, IMO it says something about the kind of team we have here, the core players in particular.

I said in the moment it’s immaterial, not that it is outright and I stand by that. Do you disagree that all we can do is try to make the team the best it can be for the particular run coming? Basically saying learn from the past, but don’t dwell on it. Put the best team forward.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Caps never blew up their team and at age 32 Ovi won a cup. Marner and Matthews are currently 6 years younger than that
Yeah people have been saying that for a few years now, and that argument keeps getting less impressive with each passing year. I mean sure WSH won the cup, but if you think that means it's pre-ordained that the Leafs will win, I'm sorry but that's just not the way the world works.

I said in the moment it’s immaterial. Do you disagree that all we can do is try to make the team the best it can be for the particular run coming? Basically saying learn from the past, but don’t dwell on it. Put the best team forward.
What a strange question. Why would anyone disagree with an obvious truth? Do you really think anyone would answer no, let's make the team as bad as it can be? Or let's make the team good, but not too good?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah people have been saying that for a few years now, and that argument keeps getting less impressive with each passing year. I mean sure WSH won the cup, but if you think that means it's pre-ordained that the Leafs will win, I'm sorry but that's just not the way the world works.

What a strange question. Why would anyone disagree with an obvious truth? Do you really think anyone would answer no, let's make the team as bad as it can be? Or let's make the team good, but not too good?

Exactly. If you agree you shouldn’t have any issue with what I’ve said.

Edit: I’m exhausted today, so maybe not communicating this exactly how I want to be

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Exactly. If you agree you shouldn’t have any issue with what I’ve said.

Edit: I’m exhausted today, so maybe not communicating this exactly how I want to be
Yeah well, I've been fighting covid for almost 2 weeks now and am constantly very low on energy so I know how you feel. GLG!!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can we change the poll to, Who would you trade for Marner?
Then have the options of McDavid, Bedard, Drai, Mack, Makar, Fox, Josi, Pietra, Vas, and Helle.

That way all the anti-MM can get their kicks and the MM fans will agree that only a handful of players are at par with MM-which is true.

Reactions: notdoneyet

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Didnt they dump everyone around him to get it done finally? I mean Marner is kinda like Semin. Matthews is OV. JT is just old and Nylander should probably be kept.

Reactions: Arzak

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can we change the poll to, Who would you trade for Marner?
Then have the options of McDavid, Bedard, Drai, Mack, Makar, Fox, Josi, Pietra, Vas, and Helle.

That way all the anti-MM can get their kicks and the MM fans will agree that only a handful of players are at par with MM-which is true.
You forgot "None of the above". LOL.

I'd trade him for McDavid, MacKinnon, Rantanen, M/B Tkachuk, Pettersson, Jack/Quinn Hughes, Makar, Fox, Dahlin, Bedard, Jason Robertson, Thompson, Stutzle, Pasta, Fantilli+, Kapriov.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd trade him for McDavid, MacKinnon, Rantanen, M/B Tkachuk, Pettersson, Jack/Quinn Hughes, Makar, Fox, Dahlin, Bedard, Jason Robertson, Thompson, Stutzle, Pasta,

LMAO yeah I wouldn't actually be completely shocked if there were a handful of people who wouldn't trade Marner for anyone on that list. LOLOLOLOL.

Me too. I don't know how anyone could say a straight one for one trade between MM for McDavid or Makar or Mack or Bedard won't be a great deal for the Leafs.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Me too. I don't know how anyone could say a straight one for one trade between MM for McDavid or Makar or Mack or Bedard won't be a great deal for the Leafs.
No one would no matter how hard the bizarro’s want to believe those people exist.

Reactions: Gabriel426

MavisGoldberg

Oct 8, 2023
Didnt they dump everyone around him to get it done finally? I mean Marner is kinda like Semin. Matthews is OV. JT is just old and Nylander should probably be kept.
Let's not insult insult Marner by claiming he's like a 1 year wonder. Semin is really the only star they moved-off from. Green's game dropped of bad.
They thankfully never moved off of Kuznetzov after his playoff dissapointments. He should have won the Conn Smythe in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad