Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You don’t know Jack all about other sports so I’m not gonna engage you in the conversation.

Again you don’t watch other sports or have a good grasps on the sports world outside of hockey so yeah I wouldn’t expect you to know any thing about any other athletes.

Gary you replied to me this morning? Are you okay?

I quoted someone else and you felt the need to reply with some smart comment and I give it back to you and now you’re crying about me attacking you? And get over yourself no one is obsessed with you.

I purposely chose not to engage with you this morning but you decided to engage me, don’t start crying now. You just couldn’t help yourself.
I've watched sports all my life. I don't watch as much as I used to but I watch almost all the Leafs/Raptors games. I also watch a bit of the NFL including most Bills games, the occasional baseball game though mostly only playoffs and I've watched some Tennis and Golf this summer. I've posted a fair bit in the Raptors thread here as well, if you've never noticed that ...

That's all that comes to mind immediately but that's quite a bit. So let me ask you once again, why would post this ridiculous lie about me which has no basis in fact, and you'd have no way of knowing this even if it was true.

Show me that you have a modicum of self-respect and admit you were out of line. Or, keep it up with the personal attacks, up to you.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I've watched sports all my life. I don't watch as much as I used to but I watch almost all the Leafs/Raptors games. I also watch a bit of the NFL including most Bills games, the occasional baseball game though mostly only playoffs and I've watched some Tennis and Golf this summer. I've posted a fair bit in the Raptors thread here as well, if you've never noticed that ...

That's all that comes to mind immediately but that's quite a bit. So let me ask you once again, why would post this ridiculous lie about me which has no basis in fact, and you'd have no way of knowing this even if it was true.

Show me that you have a modicum of self-respect and admit you were out of line. Or, keep it up with the personal attacks, up to you.

haha, true irony, sucks when that happens right? Hmm I wonder, that's probably how Marner and other athletes feel when he/they are reading or hearing about people attacking who they are!

Reactions: Yall are crazy

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
haha, true irony, sucks when that happens right? Hmm I wonder, that's probably how Marner and other athletes feel when he/they are reading or hearing about people attacking who they are!

Public people are public.

Now if they are talking about their personal life, that isn't public.

However, enough with the insults or the parties will be adjusted.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Public people are public.

Now if they are talking about their personal life, that isn't public.

However, enough with the insults or the parties will be adjusted.

Agreed!

I’ve kept it pretty much to Marner and wasn’t even responding to him. He chose to interject himself in a post that had nothing to do with him this morning. I don’t think it’s fair he initiates and then tries to claim that I’m attack him. It’s a public forum, if you keep prodding at people daily you have to expect them to give it back to you.

I will keep it to Marner.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Post like this always make me laugh. This is all speculative. Based on press conferences you’re diagnosing someone as a narcissist? Saying a few buzz words that create a perception of accountability is worse than just being who you are authentically and showing accountability in private. There are a ton of athletes who say what fans want to hear in press conferences and stories have come out about them having true character issues. We hear the opposite for Marner.

He hasn’t deflected accountability. Anyone with a brain can understand that this is an organizational decision that they are a GROUP. That’s how they address issues, no one man is more important than the other. If one messes up they all mess up. If one fails they all fail. If you listen to everyone’s press conferences they address those topics the same. “We all have to be better.” “We want to prove that we can be better as a group.” “We all know we didn’t Meet expectations but we are excited to show what we can do”. This isn’t a Marner thing, as an organization they’ve decided they are going to tackle these issues together as a core as opposed to individually, which is fine.

I don't remember anyone being quite like Marner is. I have been following the Leafs for quite a while. I know it's speculative and I did say he could also be an egomaniac alternatively. Everyone is at least one of those to some extent.

For one I have never seen someone blow a game like Game-3 as a Leaf. Anyone else who ever came close to that were in pressers red in the face basically begging for mercy and beating themselves up. This guys just like, yeah well it is what it is we will move on while looking nervous. Did you see McDavid and Drai's exits? They were upset at themselves, they were humbled, they were pissed. In contrast to Marner's, whatever gonna go play some Fortnite and Skip the Dishes attitude.

I know how this usually goes in Leaflandia though. Marner will dupe a segment of fans, the success for the team will never come and hindsight will shift essentially rewrite history as usual. The guys that should be moved from are always kept here, the guys that should be kept get moved. It's the Leafy way.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't remember anyone being quite like Marner is. I have been following the Leafs for quite a while. I know it's speculative and I did say he could also be an egomaniac alternatively. Everyone is at least one of those to some extent.

For one I have never seen someone blow a game like Game-3 as a Leaf. Anyone else who ever came close to that were in pressers red in the face basically begging for mercy and beating themselves up. This guys just like, yeah well it is what it is we will move on while looking nervous. Did you see McDavid and Drai's exits? They were upset at themselves, they were humbled, they were pissed. In contrast to Marner's, whatever gonna go play some Fortnite and Skip the Dishes attitude.

It is speculative and that’s fair but again a press conference saying a few words isn’t an indication of anything. You could be spot on about your assessment. We’ll never actually know. I personally think he’s just really uncomfortable with the media and it comes across as not caring but I view it as a guy trying hard not to say something that will become a story. We can’t expect everyone to have the same response. I also don’t put much stalk into guys taking blame in pressers because behind the scenes they could be blaming everyone but themselves.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I know how this usually goes in Leaflandia though. Marner will dupe a segment of fans, the success for the team will never come and hindsight will shift essentially rewrite history as usual. The guys that should be moved from are always kept here, the guys that should be kept get moved. It's the Leafy way.

"It sucks obviously, gotta forget about it quickly, be pissed off"

Clearly though, you'll read what you want to. Too much media training for sure though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't lie, not online and not in real life. You on the other hand claim that you appreciate how people might feel when people tell lies about them, and despite that you make up lies about people and post them online. Got it. You're a charming piece of work.

I have never seen anyone play that badly in such a big game either, it was one for the ages. I agree he comes off badly in interviews but I wouldn't read too much into it, he's just really, really bad at interviews, like historically bad.

Being from this city, he maybe feels the pressure more than anyone else, he just needs to find a way to deal with it, ideally to revel in it even and that's why they really need to get the best shrinks money can buy to work with him. JMHO.

Reactions: thewave

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't lie, not online and not in real life. You on the other hand claim that you appreciate how people might feel when people tell lies about them, and despite that you make up lies about people and post them online. Got it. You're a charming piece of work.

I have never seen anyone play that badly in such a big game either, it was one for the ages. I agree he comes off badly in interviews but I wouldn't read too much into it, he's just really, really bad at interviews, like historically bad.

Being from this city, he maybe feels the pressure more than anyone else, he just needs to find a way to deal with it, ideally to revel in it even and that's why they really need to get the best shrinks money can buy to work with him. JMHO.

Boo hoo, keep it to Marner baaaaud.

Great player, let’s hope he brings it in the playoffs.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Discuss the topic please - stop with the personal insults, as they do nothing but show you don't have a valid rebuttal.

Don't bother replying to my posts anymore @Jamason I can tell it's not worth our time...
Furthermore, if someone insults me, I'll defend myself if I choose to do so lol... who the **** asked your permission as to what I can and cannot do? lmao you say I was being insulting, I say I was just stating a truth... perspective is everything and people with any power, no matter how trivial, will always abuse it... so do what you wish...

Surprised you would even bring up the term "valid rebuttal" based on your 2 separate incoherent comments re: Marner out of the blue to me...

Have a nice life bud 👍 lol

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He really isn't a great player. He is a fancy player that does fancy things with the puck until the men come out to hit him. Then he becomes a timid boy that gets terribly scared and coughs up the puck left and right. Game 3 was a comedy of errors and if you think for a second any serious team who leaves him be during the regular season doesnt have a PO book on him that reads. Marner, slow acceleration and no threat as far as shot goes. Solution, take away time and space and threaten his body all night long, you dont know whats up.

He looks like a Queen in the regular season but turns into a pawn in the PO. Yes of course he will get points in the PO but at the same time played right he will blow your whole series as well just like with FL

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He really isn't a great player. He is a fancy player that does fancy things with the puck until the men come out to hit him. Then he becomes a timid boy that gets terribly scared and coughs up the puck left and right. Game 3 was a comedy of errors and if you think for a second any serious team who leaves him be during the regular season doesnt have a PO book on him that reads. Marner, slow acceleration and no threat as far as shot goes. Solution, take away time and space and threaten his body all night long, you dont know whats up.

He looks like a Queen in the regular season but turns into a pawn in the PO. Yes of course he will get points in the PO but at the same time played right he will blow your whole series as well just like with FL

We can acknowledge his warts without trying to diminish him as a player. I definitely agree agree with you he does tend to flower in big moments or make an unnecessary play. IMO good players don’t consistently score you 90 points every year while being the teams primary penalty killer. Great players do but I can accept everyone has a different view point on great vs good.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We can acknowledge his warts without trying to diminish him as a player. I definitely agree agree with you he does tend to flower in big moments or make an unnecessary play. IMO good players don’t consistently score you 90 points every year while being the teams primary penalty killer. Great players do but I can accept everyone has a different view point on great vs good.

I am not diminishing him at all. I am putting him exactly where he belongs as a player. He is a very talented player skills wise. He lacks acceleration. He lacks a shot. He is relatively small and fragile making him avoid direct contact or confrontation. He also lacks true leadership characteristics. He isnt Crosby or a McDavid or a Roberts or a Messier, Clark, Sundin etc.

Talented good player that is not great, but feels he is great and wants paid like a great. This guy is the product of the same hype machine media that made David Clarkson a thing for a couple weeks.

In less than a decade I can almost assure what I am saying will be the accepted perception.

PS. With his acceleration we should worry about a fast decline beyond age 28

Reactions: Lemontree

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Logging on every once in a while to see if this tire fire is still going.

Again,

Looking at the 55 forwards who have played at least 400 5v5 minutes over the last 3 playoffs, here are the top 5 standouts with the best numbers in the most important categories relative their teammates:

REL rankings:

Shot Differential:
1. Tkatchuk
2. Matthews
3. Bennet
4. Verhaeghe
5. Marner

High Danger Chance Differential:
1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Tkatchuk
4. McDavid
5. Verhaeghe

Expected Goal Differential:
1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Tkatchuk
4. McDavid
5. Verhaeghe

Goal Differential:
1. Marner (+23.46%!!!)
2. McDavid
3. MacKinnon
4. Danault
5. Verhaeghe

If terms of pure production, Marner leads all Leafs players in PPG with 26 points in 25 games but the real reason he is at the top of these lists is because of his insane two-way play as one of the better defensive players in the playoffs. If only the rest of the team brought the insane two-way game Marner has brought. It's easy to try and blame the top players on a team but it would be nice if guys like Kerfoot, Engvall, Mikheyev, O'Reilly, Jarnkrok and Hyman could provide more than the 3 combined 5v5 goals they provided over the last 3 years in their 1000+ minutes out there (Marner outscored all of them with 4 goals in 400 minutes). Those arnt bad players, they just couldnt get it done. Glorious chances galore that they flubbed on.

Going after a two way playmaker like Marner for his goal scoring is also strange considering the numbers the great Kucherov has put up (5 goals in 770+ 5v5 minutes in the last 3 years). Nice to be a winner with your depth players stepping up and arguably the greatest clutch playoff goalie of all time eh?

So..... 2/3 of the board wants to trade the guy whose last 3 years are him winning 2x RW of the year + a Selke nom who also leads his team in points per game in the playoffs while having the best 5v5 REL goal differential in the playoffs?.....all while being a lockdown PK machine?

I'm hoping the new additions to the Leafs will be able to buck the trend of our support players getting dominated by the other teams support players. It would be so much easier to blame coaching too but its always the others teams bottom six sticking it to ours, not getting caught out against the other team's big boys. Maybe one of the reasons it was Dubas let go instead of other options.

Campbell and Samsonov haven't really stacked up too well against Price, Vasy and Bob in big games either and its somewhat related to the problem.

In the big picture, I dont think we have a series win or even close series without Marner. He was easily the MVP of the series win against the Bolts.....yea, lets take that guy off our team.......
Great post lost amongst the garbage being thrown out in this thread daily. :thumbu:

Reactions: diceman934

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Again,

Looking at the 55 forwards who have played at least 400 5v5 minutes over the last 3 playoffs, here are the top 5 standouts with the best numbers in the most important categories relative their teammates:

REL rankings:

Shot Differential:
1. Tkatchuk
2. Matthews
3. Bennet
4. Verhaeghe
5. Marner

1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Tkatchuk
4. McDavid
5. Verhaeghe

1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Tkatchuk
4. McDavid
5. Verhaeghe

Goal Differential:
1. Marner (+23.46%!!!)
2. McDavid
3. MacKinnon
4. Danault
5. Verhaeghe

If terms of pure production, Marner leads all Leafs players in PPG with 26 points in 25 games but the real reason he is at the top of these lists is because of his insane two-way play as one of the better defensive players in the playoffs. If only the rest of the team brought the insane two-way game Marner has brought. It's easy to try and blame the top players on a team but it would be nice if guys like Kerfoot, Engvall, Mikheyev, O'Reilly, Jarnkrok and Hyman could provide more than the 3 combined 5v5 goals they provided over the last 3 years in their 1000+ minutes out there (Marner outscored all of them with 4 goals in 400 minutes). Those arnt bad players, they just couldnt get it done. Glorious chances galore that they flubbed on.

Going after a two way playmaker like Marner for his goal scoring is also strange considering the numbers the great Kucherov has put up (5 goals in 770+ 5v5 minutes in the last 3 years). Nice to be a winner with your depth players stepping up and arguably the greatest clutch playoff goalie of all time eh?

So..... 2/3 of the board wants to trade the guy whose last 3 years are him winning 2x RW of the year + a Selke nom who also leads his team in points per game in the playoffs while having the best 5v5 REL goal differential in the playoffs?.....all while being a lockdown PK machine?

I'm hoping the new additions to the Leafs will be able to buck the trend of our support players getting dominated by the other teams support players. It would be so much easier to blame coaching too but its always the others teams bottom six sticking it to ours, not getting caught out against the other team's big boys. Maybe one of the reasons it was Dubas let go instead of other options.

Campbell and Samsonov haven't really stacked up too well against Price, Vasy and Bob in big games either and its somewhat related to the problem.

In the big picture, I dont think we have a series win or even close series without Marner. He was easily the MVP of the series win against the Bolts.....yea, lets take that guy off our team.......

You guys love your Mitch, overpays, Dubas and Keefe. We are waiting to even get remotely get close to your plan the parade guaranteed cup win(s).

If we dont pull off a win in the next 4 years or so. We can officially call this a failure. I hope we do win but the D core is a joke and the tending is a big maybe baby.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I am not diminishing him at all. I am putting him exactly where he belongs as a player. He is a very talented player skills wise. He lacks acceleration. He lacks a shot. He is relatively small and fragile making him avoid direct contact or confrontation. He also lacks true leadership characteristics. He isnt Crosby or a McDavid or a Roberts or a Messier, Clark, Sundin etc.

Talented good player that is not great, but feels he is great and wants paid like a great. This guy is the product of the same hype machine media that made David Clarkson a thing for a couple weeks.

In less than a decade I can almost assure what I am saying will be the accepted perception.

PS. With his acceleration we should worry about a fast decline beyond age 28

I mean clarkson hype was crazy but lets be real it's not the same thing. Clarkson hasn't had nearly the impact Marner has had and will have this year lol. His acceleration isn't the worst to be honest, another thing that's kind of over exaggerated, I think he's a faster skater than Matthews in my opinion. Matthews lacks that game breaking speed to create separation to make his shot even more lethal much like McDavid and MacKinnon. Marner has good acceleration and decent speed (not the fastest) but he looks gassed, Keefe plays him a little too much. So either reduce ice time or conditioning needs to improve.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And he sucked against Florida.

As far as "take that guy off our team", the idea would be not to give him away, but to trade him for a massive return.

You were the one who started with the lies and personal attacks, all I did was point that out. If that hurts your feeling, stop with the personal attacks fueled by lies. Yes, it's that simple.

Let's hope he bring it in the playoffs indeed.

Great is a subjective term so not worth debating IMO. I'd be fine with saying he's consistently great during the regular season, and sometimes great in the playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I mean clarkson hype was crazy but lets be real it's not the same thing. Clarkson hasn't had nearly the impact Marner has had and will have this year lol. His acceleration isn't the worst to be honest, another thing that's kind of over exaggerated, I think he's a faster skater than Matthews in my opinion. Matthews lacks that game breaking speed to create separation to make his shot even more lethal much like McDavid and MacKinnon. Marner has good acceleration and decent speed (not the fastest) but he looks gassed, Keefe plays him a little too much. So either reduce ice time or conditioning needs to improve.

Its the same hype machine. Agreed nowhere near that level.

He is a lot heavier in the recent presser. Very interested to see his speed. We get to find that out soon.

Matthews has big time leg strength. He certainly has better breakthrough strength and the speed is good probably better on Matthews. Certainly on Nylander who also has the legs bit also Elite acceleration and top end.

Said it often Marner gets overplayed by Keefe. Including 10 games out he had a 30m game which was insane. Agree with that.

Time will tell who called him right. We're all armchair everything online. I just want to win. I think he has the value in trade to get us the D to do that ultimately.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
And he sucked against Florida.

As far as "take that guy off our team", the idea would be not to give him away, but to trade him for a massive return.

You were the one who started with the lies and personal attacks, all I did was point that out. If that hurts your feeling, stop with the personal attacks fueled by lies. Yes, it's that simple.

Let's hope he bring it in the playoffs indeed.

Great is a subjective term so not worth debating IMO. I'd be fine with saying he's consistently great during the regular season, and sometimes great in the playoffs.

again gary, don't come into the kitchen if you can't handle the heat. You replied and started getting snarky and personal and I matched your energy. I didn't @ you today or even mention you until you replied to me randomly. So go cry someone else a river. I didn't go after you, I responded to someone else talking about Marner, you interjected trying to be smart and you got what you put out. I've been civil with everyone else even if we don't agree cause they've been respectful.

Don't take subtle shots at people if you don't want them to fire back, period. Hence why no one is buying your woah is me act. We both took pot shots at each other, we can agree to end it here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
again gary, don't come into the kitchen if you can't handle the heat. You replied and started getting snarky and personal and I matched your energy. I didn't @ you today or even mention you until you replied to me randomly. So go cry someone else a river. I didn't go after you, I responded to someone else talking about Marner, you interjected trying to be smart and you got what you put out. I've been civil with everyone else even if we don't agree cause they've been respectful.

Don't take subtle shots at people if you don't want them to fire back, period. Hence why no one is buying your woah is me act. We both took pot shots at each other, we can agree to end it here.
Nice gaslighting there chief. I didn't start anything, the only one lying and getting personal is you. Keep spinning like a top, your lies are there for the world to see, I pointed them out and you have no answer.

Feel free to stop any time. But let me guess, here comes more spin ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Nice gaslighting there chief. I didn't start anything, the only one lying and getting personal is you. Keep spinning like a top, your lies are there for the world to see, I pointed them out and you have no answer.

Feel free to stop any time. But let me guess, here comes more spin ...

1695339024189.gif

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Don't bother replying to my posts anymore @Jamason I can tell it's not worth our time...
Furthermore, if someone insults me, I'll defend myself if I choose to do so lol... who the **** asked your permission as to what I can and cannot do? lmao you say I was being insulting, I say I was just stating a truth... perspective is everything and people with any power, no matter how trivial, will always abuse it... so do what you wish...

Surprised you would even bring up the term "valid rebuttal" based on your 2 separate incoherent comments re: Marner out of the blue to me...

Have a nice life bud 👍 lol
Well that had to be one of the most immature posts I've seen in a long time.

Why insult me when the only thing I've done is offer a bit of constructive advice?

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Again,

REL rankings:

Shot Differential:
1. Tkatchuk
2. Matthews
3. Bennet
4. Verhaeghe
5. Marner

1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Tkatchuk
4. McDavid
5. Verhaeghe

1. Matthews
2. Marner
3. Tkatchuk
4. McDavid
5. Verhaeghe

Goal Differential:
1. Marner (+23.46%!!!)
2. McDavid
3. MacKinnon
4. Danault
5. Verhaeghe

Lol easily the mvp against Tampa? Advanced stats begs to differ. heres a great article indicating just how bad Marner was in the playoffs.

In fact advanced stats indicate he was playing like a chicken:

Marner’s “portion of shots from the slot” percentage was last on the Leafs in the playoffs by over 10 per cent.

Marner shot distanced was 10 feet further than season. The most among the top 4 by a long shot.

1696473103346.png

It’s also tough to make sense of Matthews’ dried-up point totals, but what really dropped were his primary assists, which went from 1.16 (per 60) to 0.48. Hindsight is 20/20, but seeing how far Marner was living from the net in the above stats, and that Calle Jarnkrok was on Matthews’ left side, maybe it would’ve been tough to tally many points on passes.

Marner had the worst slot shot%, again dropping substantially compared to the rest of the big 4.
1696473120617.png

Everyone saying Marner is a playmaker and shouldn't be judged on his goals... Well here's a great playoff stat on his magical playmaker abilities while a 11.6 million dollar hart, Lindsey and two time rocket Richard winger is playing on his line.

With that, I think it’s a fair criticism of the coach that the team went down with Matthews and Marner tied together to the very end, despite the fact that there was only a primary assist between the two just twice in the playoffs, at all strengths.

Lol best Leaf player vs Tampa!

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad