• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Slow start... he had a rough game picking up and controlling the puck vs the Hawks. I mean, we know what this guy is... not sure why some pretend we don't. He'll be just fine, as always... during the season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Slow start... he had a rough game picking up and controlling the puck vs the Hawks. I mean, we know what this guy is... not sure why some pretend we don't. He'll be just fine, as always... during the season.
Yeah he fought the puck most of the night, many of them did. You’re right though, he’ll be much better, too good not to.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
Had a shit game but he'll be our point leader again so not too worried. I wasn't here but how many people were talking about his board battle against 2 players during Minnesota game when he won the puck back and fed Matthews....Had that goal from behind the net? Probably no one because he's of course he's supposed to make plays like that while Bertuzzi whose main jobs is to do that doesn't really seem that great at it...But anyways...he'll be fine.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Had a shit game but he'll be our point leader again so not too worried. I wasn't here but how many people were talking about his board battle against 2 players during Minnesota game when he won the puck back and fed Matthews....Had that goal from behind the net? Probably no one because he's of course he's supposed to make plays like that while Bertuzzi whose main jobs is to do that doesn't really seem that great at it...But anyways...he'll be fine.
I can show you lots of 4th liners capable of winning a board battle and sticking a puck to a teammate who's behind the goalies net lol. The creator of that goal is the 13 million dollar former hart trophy winner and two time rocket winner turning it into a goal from behind the net.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Guess it depends on your definition of "fine"..... He was 21st in even strength points last year. Yup, right between Alex Tuch and Brock Nelson. Mackinnon had 19 more es points than Marner. Mackinnon played 9 games less than Marner.

I think our expectations of two 11 million dollar + players on the same line, are much too low.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hopefully Willy will sign a 1 year deal with lesser $$$ and then a long term deal after JT takes league min .. JT is not leaving TO .. it is no longer about comp for JT he is a Toronto real estate guy now

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hopefully Willy will sign a 1 year deal with lesser $$$ and then a long term deal after JT takes league min .. JT is not leaving TO .. it is no longer about comp for JT he is a Toronto real estate guy now
If JT wants to play/resign in Toronto once his contract expires, he will take one for the team if he is asked to and waive his NMC. Once his bonus is paid on July 1, 2024, he will be owned $910K in real dollars. Should be easily moveable to a team with cap space. Retain if you have to. Reacquire and resign him before the TDL. Johnny spends his winter in Arizona. Not a huge sacrifice.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If JT wants to play/resign in Toronto once his contract expires, he will take one for the team if he is asked to and waive his NMC. Once his bonus is paid on July 1, 2024, he will be owned $910K in real dollars. Should be easily moveable to a team with cap space. Retain if you have to. Reacquire and resign him before the TDL. Johnny spends his winter in Arizona. Not a huge sacrifice.
:laugh: No one in his position would do that.
I find things are never a 'huge sacrifice' when it's someone else doing the sacrificing.

Reactions: Arzak

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
:laugh: No one in his position would do that.
I find things are never a 'huge sacrifice' when it's someone else doing the sacrificing.
Like I said, if he wants to remain a Leafs after his current deal expires, it is not a huge ask. I thought Nick Foligno would resign with Columbus as a UFA but he moved his family to Boston and now Chicago. I doubt JT wants to do that after next season.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Like I said, if he wants to remain a Leafs after his current deal expires, it is not a huge ask. I thought Nick Foligno would resign with Columbus as a UFA but he moved his family to Boston and now Chicago. I doubt JT wants to do that after next season.
He'll just remain here and then re-sign here.

Foligno made a decision for himself, Tavares will do the same.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I think he has great skill nd he will always amass a lot of points, but he is useless to the team in winning mode. He doesnt have the drive, the engine, and twtw.

JT will be like 5.5 x 3

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Nylander produced more es points than Marner last year and more goals (hitting 40). He's outplayed Marner in recent playoffs and has looked better early this season.

During negotiations, Marners agent had said they wanted to be paid like his teammates and they wouldn't be taking other team's players into consideration. So he wanted to be paid like Matthews and Tavares.

That was the message our assistant captain sent to all his teammates.

Why should Nylander have any different perspective? I know I wouldn't, if my company had a cap.

Probably the reason Nylander reportedly said he ain't take less if others wont.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander produced more es points than Marner last year and more goals (hitting 40). He's outplayed Marner in recent playoffs and has looked better early this season.

During negotiations, Marners agent had said they wanted to be paid like his teammates and they wouldn't be taking other team's players into consideration. So he wanted to be paid like Matthews and Tavares.

That was the message our assistant captain sent to all his teammates.

Why should Nylander have any different perspective? I know I wouldn't, if my company had a cap.

Probably the reason Nylander reportedly said he ain't take less if others wont.
He better hope that his teammate scores 60+ if he wants to hit the 120 points some predicted he will this year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
it is not that simple .. JT wants to lift da Cup as a Leaf captain and then retire .. it has ZERO to do with $$$ for him anymore .. this is not a Foligno situation .. he will resign at league min to help team .. i have heard it from him directly this past summer

Reactions: ToneDog

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He better hope that his teammate scores 60+ if he wants to hit the 120 points some predicted he will this year.
He'll be 27 this year and never cracked 100... Only paced above 100 once in his career while playing with Hart trophy nominees and hart winners in their primes. Meanwhile Hughes hit 99 last year, Pettersson hit 102, Rantanen hit 105 last year.... Tkatchuk over 100 for the second consecutive year.

Remember though...none of these players are better than Marner or so a few posters on here have said repeatedly said over the years.

If MLSE ice improves and the media stop being so mean, I'm sure Marner will hit 120 easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad