• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
This is my experience as well. This is one of the most unlikable cores ever. Much of it comes from their indifferent attitude and especially their delusional post failure pressers.
I have figured out what term describes it for me - inspiration

This is a very uninspiring group when pressure goes up... which yes can translate to unlikeable. Being honest.. i dont like marner, i am indifferent to willie and tavares and am just meh on matthews .. something about him doesnt sit with me. But as a whole i dont get inspired by this group watching them

Reactions: mjd1001 and geo25

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He can’t be traded.
Having a NMC and not being able to be traded are two different things. Sure, I guess he can hold firm for 1+ seasons and decline any trade, but I think it's more likely he could grant 3-5 teams he'd accept a trade to.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Having a NMC and not being able to be traded are two different things. Sure, I guess he can hold firm for 1+ seasons and decline any trade, but I think it's more likely he could grant 3-5 teams he'd accept a trade to.
It’s fair to think that but that seems like wishful thinking more than anything else.
I can’t think of any scenario where he would want to waive.

Reactions: Arzak

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It’s fair to think that but that seems like wishful thinking more than anything else.
I can’t think of any scenario where he would want to waive.
I don't know. I think the kid has pride. If negotiations get ugly and go public, does he really want to deal with that crap in his hometown for close to 2 years until he can walk for nothing? Or does he concede to 3-5 teams, call his buddies on those team, and try to get a deal done? Sure, we'll end up getting screwed and trading him for 1/2 of the value, but we'll get something and free up a ton of cap space to lure another free agent or two.

I just don't feel comfortable with:

A. Losing Marner for absolutely nothing
B. Being held hostage by him until we pay him anything he wants

Neither path is a healthy one. Best case, Matthews signs for something reasonable and Marner follows suit. But I'm not holding my breath with these guys.

Reactions: myleafs and geo25

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't know. I think the kid has pride. If negotiations get ugly and go public, does he really want to deal with that crap in his hometown for close to 2 years until he can walk for nothing? Or does he concede to 3-5 teams, call his buddies on those team, and try to get a deal done? Sure, we'll end up getting screwed and trading him for 1/2 of the value, but we'll get something and free up a ton of cap space to lure another free agent or two.

I just don't feel comfortable with:

A. Losing Marner for absolutely nothing
B. Being held hostage by him until we pay him anything he wants

Neither path is a healthy one. Best case, Matthews signs for something reasonable and Marner follows suit. But I'm not holding my breath with these guys.
He will be a life long Leaf, best just to get use to the idea IMO.

Reactions: bax

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He will be a life long Leaf, best just to get use to the idea IMO.
That idea doesn't upset me. Call me crazy, but I actually think he's the single-most important player on the current Leafs team. But any deal has to work for both him and the Leafs. My patience is running thin with these kids refusing to commit to the club unless it's on their terms without any compromise.

Reactions: notdoneyet

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That idea doesn't upset me. Call me crazy, but I actually think he's the single-most important player on the current Leafs team. But any deal has to work for both him and the Leafs. My patience is running thin with these kids refusing to commit to the club unless it's on their terms without any compromise.
He’d be on a 8 year 8.5 contract right now if not for Dubas.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
It'll work for him and the Leafs. It won't work for a good chunk of this board.

Reactions: notdoneyet

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I really wish the Leafs could trade this guy and re-balance the roster.

Set an example regarding salary expectations.

The problem with Marner isn't one of skill. The problem with Marner is one of attitude. He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

It's called silver spoonism.

Marner thinks he's soooo much better at hockey than everybody else. So he should get paid more than everybody else. Well I'm sorry, I hate to burst Mitch Marner's bubble, but that's just not true.

If Marner thinks he's the best winger in the league then he's staggering drunk down delusional avenue.

Marner may not believe this but he can be replaced. He's not that guy, worth that money, at that time. The Leafs should seriously consider trading him.

Eleven million dollar waste.

But thanks for the regular season stats I guess.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I really wish the Leafs could trade this guy and re-balance the roster.

Set an example regarding salary expectations.

The problem with Marner isn't one of skill. The problem with Marner is one of attitude. He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

It's called silver spoonism.

Marner thinks he's soooo much better at hockey than everybody else. So he should get paid more than everybody else. Well I'm sorry, I hate to burst Mitch Marner's bubble, but that's just not true.

If Marner thinks he's the best winger in the league then he's staggering drunk down delusional avenue.

Marner may not believe this but he can be replaced. He's not that guy, worth that money, at that time. The Leafs should seriously consider trading him.

Eleven million dollar waste.

But thanks for the regular season stats I guess.

The bolded is what pisses me off about HF Boards. There is no evidence from anyone in the NHL or the Maple Leafs organization that supports this statement. All of what you’re saying about Marner is speculative and what YOU think he is.

Not one player has said that about him, not one coach has said that about him. In fact he is the most liked player, does a lot of charity work, well liked in the dressing room. In the documentary they did in 2021, both Keefe and Dubas mentioned Marner is the hardest on himself out of all the leafs on the roster. When he f***s up he takes it the hardest because he knows he has to be better. They’ve had to talk to him to not feel like he has to put the weight of the team on his shoulders. That is completely contrary to the narrative that gets spun on these stupid boards.

The contract negotiations the first time around didn’t help him in the public perspective. He’s not the greatest at speaking with the media (not everyone is). But he seems to be just a happy, easy going player, that gets along with almost every single teammate by all accounts.

To me, Marner gets to a lot of people because he represents what a lot of people wish they could be. He’s the hometown amazing talent that got to play for the leafs. So many probably dreamed of being in Marner’s position. There’s a lot of resentment because people wanted him to take a discount, because if they had the opportunity to be Marner they feel they would have. So that angered everyone. The amount of hate he gets so stupid. We should be channeling that hate on Dubas who handed him the contract.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The bolded is what pisses me off about HF Boards. There is no evidence from anyone in the NHL or the Maple Leafs organization that supports this statement. All of what you’re saying about Marner is speculative and what YOU think he is.

Not one player has said that about him, not one coach has said that about him. In fact he is the most liked player, does a lot of charity work, well liked in the dressing room. In the documentary they did in 2021, both Keefe and Dubas mentioned Marner is the hardest on himself out of all the leafs on the roster. When he f***s up he takes it the hardest because he knows he has to be better. They’ve had to talk to him to not feel like he has to put the weight of the team on his shoulders. That is completely contrary to the narrative that gets spun on these stupid boards.

The contract negotiations the first time around didn’t help him in the public perspective. He’s not the greatest at speaking with the media (not everyone is). But he seems to be just a happy, easy going player, that gets along with almost every single teammate by all accounts.

To me, Marner gets to a lot of people because he represents what a lot of people wish they could be. He’s the hometown amazing talent that got to play for the leafs. So many probably dreamed of being in Marner’s position. There’s a lot of resentment because people wanted him to take a discount, because if they had the opportunity to be Marner they feel they would have. So that angered everyone. The amount of hate he gets so stupid. We should be channeling that hate on Dubas who handed him the contract.
It is painfully obvious he cares and cares way more then what is good for him. Dont know if he hear his dads words " You better be fkn skating Mitch i swear to god" and other wellmeaning pick me ups. He is sure trained to not disappoint. So when he say he do not care what anybody say outside the lockerroom, it is just not true. He cares to much.
The problem is that negative thoughts like that are triggered automatic. And these thoughts are trained by Mitch and his father like a mantra many years. In game situations when things matter the most.
He is a very nice kid and would never blame his father, but it is easy to see from the outside. He just pick up the negative thoughts and continue on his own. This is how the human brain works, from that he is not immune.

I know there are Zeb Macahans out there that was brought up by wolfes and a can opener as only toy. Mitch aint no Macahan and never will be. He need some help mentaly when things matter the most. And no i dont think hiering Paul as a motivational speaker is the right move. But who knows...

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It is painfully obvious he cares and cares way more then what is good for him. Dont know if he hear his dads words " You better be fkn skating Mitch i swear to god" and other wellmeaning pick me ups. He is sure trained to not disappoint. So when he say he do not care what anybody say outside the lockerroom, it is just not true. He cares to much.
The problem is that negative thoughts like that are triggered automatic. And these thoughts are trained by Mitch and his father like a mantra many years. In game situations when things matter the most.
He is a very nice kid and would never blame his father, but it is easy to see from the outside. He just pick up the negative thoughts and continue on his own. This is how the human brain works, from that he is not immune.

I know there are Zeb Macahans out there that was brought up by wolfes and a can opener as only toy. Mitch aint no Macahan and never will be. He need some help mentaly when things matter the most. And no i dont think hiering Paul as a motivational speaker is the right move. But who knows...

I think the leafs are doing a lot of work with Marner to undue a lot of the damage Paul did earlier in his life. It was also an issue for him in London where he had to take time off.

Still an excellent player but he’s one of those players where a parent put so much pressure on him to succeed, it’s very obvious he’s still dealing with those pressures as a pro athlete

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the leafs are doing a lot of work with Marner to undue a lot of the damage Paul did earlier in his life. It was also an issue for him in London where he had to take time off.

Still an excellent player but he’s one of those players where a parent put so much pressure on him to succeed, it’s very obvious he’s still dealing with those pressures as a pro athlete
Let's hope that that work starts to work. Kids got all the talent in the world and it would be so sad if he went down in Leaf history as a mentally fragile underachiever who wilts when the heat is on, instead just an all-time great without a huge asterix next to his name.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022

This is a very uninspiring group when pressure goes up... which yes can translate to unlikeable. Being honest.. i dont like marner, i am indifferent to willie and tavares and am just meh on matthews .. something about him doesnt sit with me. But as a whole i dont get inspired by this group watching them
I agree totally.

I'd be good, almost want to see Matthews and Marner gone. Why? They are just not likeable/fun to root for. Is there a chance you won't get equal value in return? Of course, but I DO beleive you can get close to equal value, and as a fan I want a team that is more 'likeable' than this one.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
He can’t be traded.
Why not?

I agree totally.

I'd be good, almost want to see Matthews and Marner gone. Why? They are just not likeable/fun to root for. Is there a chance you won't get equal value in return? Of course, but I DO beleive you can get close to equal value, and as a fan I want a team that is more 'likeable' than this one.
Agreed, and sometimes you have to take a step back in order to keep going forward.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Based on performance to date, I don't think any of the current players are close to Legends Row.
Matthews has Two Rockets, Calder, Ted Lindsey and Hart.....he certainly deserves it.

... some in this thread have said Marner is more important and better than Matthews. Guess the people voting don't know anything either. They represent the minority too.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

The first year against the Caps was inspirational for me....the boys were just happy to be there and were like puppies off the leash in the park. So fun to watch that year. The next year was pretty good too. After that as each yr passed they became less fun to watch or care about. And now, I dont feel connected to them at all. I wish I did but I just dont for myriad of reasons.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The first year against the Caps was inspirational for me....the boys were just happy to be there and were like puppies off the leash in the park. So fun to watch that year. The next year was pretty good too. After that as each yr passed they became less fun to watch or care about. And now, I dont feel connected to them at all. I wish I did but I just dont for myriad of reasons.
Your timeline matches mine, i agree

For me personally the exodus of certain players havent helped, and as far as the team goes the rotating third of the roster every year doesnt help.

It is lots of things for me.. body language, physical support and intermittent spurts of dominant play are probably the most prominent

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah pretty much the same here and I'd be surprised if a large portion of the fanbase didn't feel exactly the same way. With each passing year, my anticipation level for the coming season goes further down.

Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad