• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
100pts + Selke votes is 9.3?

He was overpaid, but I am not sure he is still overpaid.

What playoffs do you consider bad of his? It is crazy that only 2 of his 7 playoffs you consider good and he is basically PPG...
Check and see when he gets the majority of his points.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Don’t feed the trolls with facts. Just like marner haters like building up nylander playoff exploits as being great. His stats this year are worse than marner matthews and jt.
vs Florida
Game 3 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1a

Game 4 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 1g 1a
Nylander 1g 1a

Game 5 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1g

Im not posting this to say that Nylander is a better player than either Matthews or Marner. It’s more to show how this core (especially Matthews and Marner since they are paid more, not counting Tavares) disappears in crunch time, or if they do manage to contribute, then the depth scoring isn’t there.
This paying 4 forwards so much has not worked because there has never been enough money left to properly address the depth scoring and improve the defence.

Reactions: PromisedLand

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
vs Florida
Game 3 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1a

Game 4 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 1g 1a
Nylander 1g 1a

Game 5 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1g

Im not posting this to say that Nylander is a better player than either Matthews or Marner. It’s more to show how this core (especially Matthews and Marner since they are paid more, not counting Tavares) disappears in crunch time, or if they do manage to contribute, then the depth scoring isn’t there.
This paying 4 forwards so much has not worked because there has never been enough money left to properly address the depth scoring and improve the defence.
You have nylander with 2 goals 2 assists vs Florida and he scored 2 goals and one assist

Vs Florida marner 1 goal 2 assist
Nylander 2 goals one assist

Matthews and Tavares disappeared

I personally would have given matthews an ultimatum and if he didn’t accept a decent offer that doesn’t pay him as the best player in the League. So far he hasn’t proven he is top 5

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
You have nylander with 2 goals 2 assists vs Florida and he scored 2 goals and one assist

I personally would have given matthews an ultimatum and if he didn’t accept a decent offer that doesn’t pay him as the best player in the League. So far he hasn’t proven he is top 5

Matthews response: Did you not see Deke's posts about me? I'm the best and not paid enough.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
70% is not a minority.

HF Boards is literally like 1-5% of true leafs fans around the world. 70% voting to trade Marner is just a loud minority on the internet. It can’t really be used a legitimate sample of how the entire fanbase feels.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
vs Florida
Game 3 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1a

Game 4 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 1g 1a
Nylander 1g 1a

Game 5 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1g

There is no question the disappear when it matters most in the playoffs

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
HF Boards is literally like 1-5% of true leafs fans around the world. 70% voting to trade Marner is just a loud minority on the internet. It can’t really be used a legitimate sample of how the entire fanbase feels.
I have a large number of leafs fans, none would be caught dead in this sesspool, and their feeling on Marner and Matthews is the same as the HF fanbase.

You can speak all the "fantasy" you want, but the fact is, a VERY large portion of the fanbase wants those two fools as far away from the Leafs franchise as possible.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I have a large number of leafs fans, none would be caught dead in this sesspool, and their feeling on Marner and Matthews is the same as the HF fanbase.

You can speak all the "fantasy" you want, but the fact is, a VERY large portion of the fanbase wants those two fools as far away from the Leafs franchise as possible.

I'm surrounded by a ton of Leafs fans, live in the city and most of the fans I know are rational. I'm also a teacher and I'd say Mitch Marner is EASILY the young generations favourite leaf and it's not even close.

Overall, I'd say it's about an even split. There's some that don't like Marner or Matthews, but the hate on these boards are amplified and exaggerated.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
you work as a teacher, working with children. Yes, that makes sense that you get a different view than myself, who works in finance (office on York and Bremner) and works with dozens and dozens of wealthy, season ticket holders, fans of the team for 15-50 years.

that makes sense that our views are different.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
vs Florida
Game 3 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1a

Game 4 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 1g 1a
Nylander 1g 1a

Game 5 - Matthews 0 pts
Marner 0 pts
Nylander 1g

Thats precisely the issue. We can't afford quality depth because there is no cap left to add quality depth to get goals out of 3rd and 4th lines when top2 lines get shut down and don't have enough puck drivers or offensive d-men who can attack from backend or mean d-men who put the fear of God in opposition forwards.

It frustrates the heck out of me that even after 7 years worth of evidence people refuse to look at the facts.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
you work as a teacher, working with children. Yes, that makes sense that you get a different view than myself, who works in finance (office on York and Bremner) and works with dozens and dozens of wealthy, season ticket holders, fans of the team for 15-50 years.

that makes sense that our views are different.

I also coach a high level sport where many ex NHLers have their kids playing and tons of wealthy families that are season ticket holders as well. Like I said, it's about 50/50. Not as severe as this board makes it out to be.

Reactions: andora

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019

Yup, my bad on the goals and assists. Thanks for clarifying. I am worried about Matthews and his wrist(s). If this is going to be a long term type of injury, then I would definitely consider trying to trade him. But if it isn’t, then I would prefer trading Marner.

Thats precisely the issue. We can't afford quality depth because there is no cap left to add quality depth to get goals out of 3rd and 4th lines when top2 lines get shut down and don't have enough puck drivers or offensive d-men who can attack from backend or mean d-men who put the fear of God in opposition forwards.

It frustrates the heck out of me that even after 7 years worth of evidence people refuse to look at the facts.
You and me both!

Reactions: PromisedLand

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I also coach a high level sport where many ex NHLers have their kids playing and tons of wealthy families that are season ticket holders as well. Like I said, it's about 50/50. Not as severe as this board makes it out to be.
ok, but even 50/50 does not represent "a vocal minority"...which I'm sure you will agree with (being a teacher and all).

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm surrounded by a ton of Leafs fans, live in the city and most of the fans I know are rational. I'm also a teacher and I'd say Mitch Marner is EASILY the young generations favourite leaf and it's not even close.

Overall, I'd say it's about an even split. There's some that don't like Marner or Matthews, but the hate on these boards are amplified and exaggerated.
Below I've attached a post of yours from the "Marner Appreciation Thread". You posted it early last season. You indicate Marner finally is becoming a man we have been waiting for. Which isnt a post from someone who believes Marner wasnt lacking in some department until that point. He's been a top paid player for 4 years and we're still waiting for him to become a man? What was he doing differently that made him more of a man?

He’s finally becoming the man we have been waiting for this season!!

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
marner was the 2nd highest paid winger in the league after panarin. now he is the 3rd highest with pasta's new contract.

how does one even justify this? i mean seriously!!!

Reactions: Budz22

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Below I've attached a post of yours from the "Marner Appreciation Thread". You posted it early last season. You indicate Marner finally is becoming a man we have been waiting for. Which isnt a post from someone who believes Marner wasnt lacking in some department until that point. He's been a top paid player for 4 years and we're still waiting for him to become a man? What was he doing differently that made him more of a man?

The fact that you don’t understand or could not identify that my post was based on sarcasm is beyond me.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If they don't agree with you they aren't real fans so they don't count. Logical.

I never said that, I agreed that there are people who dislike Marner.

The key difference is the hate is exaggerated on this board. People in real life don’t express their hatred for Marner like they do on this board. (There’s a few who call into radio and I can only speak on my interactions). They may dislike him but they don’t go out of their way to try and discredit him as player or even a person. Being able to be anonymous gives people the power to shit on athletes. Half the people who shit on Marner on here, if they saw him in real life would probably be the first to try and get an autograph and not say anything they say on here.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
marner was the 2nd highest paid winger in the league after panarin. now he is the 3rd highest with pasta's new contract.

how does one even justify this? i mean seriously!!!
There is no justification for him to be paid like that and it’s only going to go up on his next contract

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There is no justification for him to be paid like that and it’s only going to go up on his next contract

Like a puppy mill. Paul coached his kid to grow up and extract every penny he could most likely. Everything you hear about that family just stinks in the direction of that type of scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad