• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
you work as a teacher, working with children. Yes, that makes sense that you get a different view than myself, who works in finance (office on York and Bremner) and works with dozens and dozens of wealthy, season ticket holders, fans of the team for 15-50 years.
I too want the opposite of what wealthy season ticket holders who work in finance want for the leafs and probably anything else they have an opinion on

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
marner was the 2nd highest paid winger in the league after panarin. now he is the 3rd highest with pasta's new contract.

how does one even justify this? i mean seriously!!!
Agreed.

- Pasta had 61 goals and 113 points
- He had 34 goals and 46 points more than the next Bruin.
- Pastrnak has 35 g and 79 points in 77 playoff games.

- Marner has yet to break 100 points. Don't think he's had more than 11 points more than the next leaf in a season.
- Marner has 10 g and 45 points in 50 playoff games.

Since Marner signed, the same group of Marner fans (for lack of a better word) have told us that Marner is way better than:

Eichel, Tkachuk, Pastrnak, Aho, Point and Rantanen.

They also compared him to the following players in the past year:

Gretzky, Gilmour, and Kane, however Marner is of course an elite defensive player too!

In 2019 Brayden Point and Mitch Marner were:

- within 2 points of rachother in points
- both were up for a new contract.
-Marner signed a 6 year contract. Point bridged and then 7 years.
- By the six year mark... Marner will have made 65.3 million and Point will have made 49 million.
- Marner will make 35% more than Point by the 6 year mark.

comparing the two playoff stats is just embarrassing for Marner.

It's pretty similar for all the aforementioned players. Similar season stats, the other players generally playing with lesser talent, scoring more goals and playing more difficult positions. And of course having much more playoff success.

Pretty disturbing stuff. Expect Marner and co to continue to rake the Leafs over the coals on the next contract as well.

Last edited:

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Agreed.

- Marner has yet to break 100 points. Don't think he's had more than 11 points more than the next leaf in a season.

Since Marner signed, the same group of Marner fans (for lack of a better word) have told us that Marner is way better than:

Gretzky, Gilmour, and Kane, however Marner is of course an elite defensive player too!

- By the six year mark... Marner will have made 65.3 million and Point will have made 49 million.

It's pretty similar for all the aforementioned players. Similar season stats, the other players generally playing with lesser talent, scoring more goals and playing more difficult positions. And of course having much more playoff success.

Pretty disturbing stuff. Expect Marner and co to continue to rake the Leafs over the coals on the next contract as well.
Agreed.

He’s destined for Legends Row. Show some respect.

Reactions: notdoneyet

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
What is the name of the Leafs mental coach? Trade him to Vegas or Florida for there Mental coach. Or use Bratts in NJD.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I have a large number of leafs fans, none would be caught dead in this sesspool, and their feeling on Marner and Matthews is the same as the HF fanbase.

You can speak all the "fantasy" you want, but the fact is, a VERY large portion of the fanbase wants those two fools as far away from the Leafs franchise as possible.
This is my experience as well. This is one of the most unlikable cores ever. Much of it comes from their indifferent attitude and especially their delusional post failure pressers.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
What happend with the Nylander trade thread? Aint that the most realistic result? Marner Matthews and Tavares will not be traded, that only leaves Nylander. But i dont think he will be traded... yet.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I never said that, I agreed that there are people who dislike Marner.

The key difference is the hate is exaggerated on this board. People in real life don’t express their hatred for Marner like they do on this board. (There’s a few who call into radio and I can only speak on my interactions). They may dislike him but they don’t go out of their way to try and discredit him as player or even a person. Being able to be anonymous gives people the power to shit on athletes. Half the people who shit on Marner on here, if they saw him in real life would probably be the first to try and get an autograph and not say anything they say on here.
Sorry - the "don't agree therefore don't count" comment wasn't directed at you personally, but more a general comment about both sides. Relevant to the internet on the whole.

I certainly think you can be Leafs fans without being fans of a particular player, and vice versa. Or a fan of a particular player and still think it's best for the team if he gets traded.

Part of the extremely negative views expressed comes from the anonymity, but part is also because of the equally irrational extremely positive views expressed by other posters. There are a couple here who go to ridiculous lengths to ignore anything negative and rave about the smallest positive points about certain players, coaches, and management. Is it surprising that others go to the opposite extremes?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sorry - the "don't agree therefore don't count" comment wasn't directed at you personally, but more a general comment about both sides. Relevant to the internet on the whole.

I certainly think you can be Leafs fans without being fans of a particular player, and vice versa. Or a fan of a particular player and still think it's best for the team if he gets traded.

Part of the extremely negative views expressed comes from the anonymity, but part is also because of the equally irrational extremely positive views expressed by other posters. There are a couple here who go to ridiculous lengths to ignore anything negative and rave about the smallest positive points about certain players, coaches, and management. Is it surprising that others go to the opposite extremes?

100% there are people who believe Marner has no flaws and that as well is not true. Marner is an extremely talented player who has some flaws. It just pisses me off when people try to act like getting 99 point or having three 90 point seasons means nothing. It absolutely means something. Regular season success is a part of the journey there is no shot at playoff success without some level of regular season success.

Additionally I see people mention players like Kucherov, Point, Panarin, Eichel as if those players don’t have flaws. Those players also have flaws and yes they’ve had a high level of playoff success but they are in the same tier as Marner. I don’t agree with him being paid what he is but it’s a very minimal overpay in the grand scheme of things.

Based on performance to date, I don't think any of the current players are close to Legends Row.

Why not? If Sittler and Sundin are on there so should Marner, Matthews and Gilmour IMO. Gilmour should be next up. Then those two.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
100% there are people who believe Marner has no flaws and that as well is not true. Marner is an extremely talented player who has some flaws. It just pisses me off when people try to act like getting 99 point or having three 90 point seasons means nothing. It absolutely means something. Regular season success is a part of the journey there is no shot at playoff success without some level of regular season success.

Additionally I see people mention players like Kucherov, Point, Panarin, Eichel as if those players don’t have flaws. Those players also have flaws and yes they’ve had a high level of playoff success but they are in the same tier as Marner. I don’t agree with him being paid what he is but it’s a very minimal overpay in the grand scheme of things.

Why not? If Sittler and Sundin are on there so should Marner, Matthews and Gilmour IMO. Gilmour should be next up. Then those two.
I agree with all this. All players have flaws, there is no such thing as a perfect player. Regular season success is part of the journey, not meaningless and Marner is on the same tier as those other players you mentioned. Not sure about the overpay being minimal but whatever.

As far as legends row, I don't really care. Just give me some deep playoff runs, that's all I want and if they can manage that, nobody will have a problem with them being on legends row either. And they probably will be there eventually, but if they don't shake off the playoff choker label then perhaps their statues should be hollowed out.

What happend with the Nylander trade thread? Aint that the most realistic result? Marner Matthews and Tavares will not be traded, that only leaves Nylander. But i dont think he will be traded... yet.
I don't think any of them will be traded. Nylander if not signed will be kept as our "own rental", that's the most likely scenario IMO.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree with all this. All players have flaws, there is no such thing as a perfect player. Regular season success is part of the journey, not meaningless and Marner is on the same tier as those other players you mentioned. Not sure about the overpay being minimal but whatever.

As far as legends row, I don't really care. Just give me some deep playoff runs, that's all I want and if they can manage that, nobody will have a problem with them being on legends row either. And they probably will be there eventually, but if they don't shake off the playoff choker label then perhaps their statues should be hollowed out.

I don't think any of them will be traded. Nylander if not signed will be kept as our "own rental", that's the most likely scenario IMO.

All I know is Marner shouldn’t be getting an extreme raise in 2 years IMO. He’s already making above market value. Leafs have to convince him to take 11 or stay at 10.9 on an 8 year deal. That’s 80+ million. Players can’t be greedy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All I know is Marner shouldn’t be getting an extreme raise in 2 years IMO. He’s already making above market value. Leafs have to convince him to take 11 or stay at 10.9 on an 8 year deal. That’s 80+ million. Players can’t be greedy.
That’s the problem. Poor contract the first time but he’s increased his value easily since then. Going to be an odd re-signing.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That’s the problem. Poor contract the first time but he’s increased his value easily since then. Going to be an odd re-signing.

Yup, it was poor planning on Dubas’ part. I think he thought by setting Marner’s value at 10.9 other teams would be forced to do that as well and as we are seeing. Teams are not going close to that number for wingers. It didn’t reset the market at all, he’s the anomaly. Now they have a choice to make because as you said his value has increased due to his play. Now do you pay him even more than market value to account for the increase in his value? Or pay him close to true value in comparison to his peers?

Reactions: ACC1224

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
All depends on the contract demands. If he's willing to commit to the team long-term for an acceptable AAV, keep him for sure. If not, we need to explore trade opportunities.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All depends on the contract demands. If he's willing to commit to the team long-term for an acceptable AAV, keep him for sure. If not, we need to explore trade opportunities.
He can’t be traded.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sundin played 13 seasons with the Leafs, and as Captain led them past the first round five times, and to the conference finals twice.

Sittler played 11+ seasons with the Leafs, and as Captain led them past the first round five times, and to the conference finals once.

Gilmour played four seasons with the Leafs, and parts of two others.

Marner and Matthews have played seven seasons with the Leafs, and have good personal stats, but haven't led them to anything.

They may in future, and I certainly hope so, but as I said, based on performance to date I don't think so.

I can see their numbers being retired, but I think Legends Row is another level.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad