Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I really wish the Leafs could trade this guy and re-balance the roster.

Set an example regarding salary expectations.

The problem with Marner isn't one of skill. The problem with Marner is one of attitude. He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

It's called silver spoonism.

Marner thinks he's soooo much better at hockey than everybody else. So he should get paid more than everybody else. Well I'm sorry, I hate to burst Mitch Marner's bubble, but that's just not true.

If Marner thinks he's the best winger in the league then he's staggering drunk down delusional avenue.

Marner may not believe this but he can be replaced. He's not that guy, worth that money, at that time. The Leafs should seriously consider trading him.

Eleven million dollar waste.

But thanks for the regular season stats I guess.
Your whiney, teenager-like speculation can be condensed into 3 or 4 lines.

Why not?

Agreed, and sometimes you have to take a step back in order to keep going forward.
You spend so much time on here yet can't grasp a NMC.

Reactions: Arzak

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Matthews has Two Rockets, Calder, Ted Lindsey and Hart.....he certainly deserves it.

... some in this thread have said Marner is more important and better than Matthews. Guess the people voting don't know anything either. They represent the minority too.
Those are some fine individual awards, and if he stays here and maintains that level of performance, I'm sure his number will be retired.

But as I mentioned elsewhere, I think Legends Row is another level, and I think leadership and team success are factors.

There are 14 statues there now, and it is considered 'full'. Who would you take out to make room for him?

(I completely agree about Marner.)

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah pretty much the same here and I'd be surprised if a large portion of the fanbase didn't feel exactly the same way. With each passing year, my anticipation level for the coming season goes further down.
Yeah and i will add that it isnt about the playoff history for me.. it has become so ho hum.. like we are watching the local bank's team play

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah pretty much the same here and I'd be surprised if a large portion of the fanbase didn't feel exactly the same way. With each passing year, my anticipation level for the coming season goes further down.

that’s sad and I’m glad my fandom hasn’t gone that way at all. Unfortunate that’s been yours and others experience.

I’d say the only time i really disliked the team and wanted one of the 4 gone was after the MTL loss. I love Marner and he would have been my choice to trade after MTL. Other than that things have been fine for me as a fan.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
that’s sad and I’m glad my fandom hasn’t gone that way at all. Unfortunate that’s been yours and others experience.

I’d say the only time i really disliked the team and wanted one of the 4 gone was after the MTL loss. I love Marner and he would have been my choice to trade after MTL. Other than that things have been fine for me as a fan.
Yeah well, we'll see how I feel when the season starts. I was feeling pretty down after losing to MTL but I mostly got over that before too long so who knows. We have two more years of playoff failure to digest though and that makes it hard. O was OK with the way we lost to TB, went down fighting at least but FLA, that was just embarrassing.

I wouldn't say I dislike the team, that seems a bit harsh. That said, I don't like them very much so I guess it's not too far from truth either.

I said we should see what we can get for Marner after losing to MTL. took a lot of crap for that, I was glad he was still a Maple Leaf about 6 months ago or so but now, not so much. Marner was my favorite player for a while there (in the early years) and I thought he played great the last couple of seasons after the MTL debacle but them came Florida, especially game 3 where Marner's game was just so pukeworthy. It's going to take a lot for me to forget about that one, probably need for him to play like he deserves to be paid the way he is while playing a leading role in leading to us to at least the 3rd round. He has a lot to make up for IMO, all his pretty regular season plays lose their shine when he keeps wilting every time the pressure is cranked up.

Reactions: geo25

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Those are some fine individual awards, and if he stays here and maintains that level of performance, I'm sure his number will be retired.

But as I mentioned elsewhere, I think Legends Row is another level, and I think leadership and team success are factors.

There are 14 statues there now, and it is considered 'full'. Who would you take out to make room for him?

(I completely agree about Marner.)
If they bring the cup they would get their own with Rielly...Nylander andor the winning goalie with Tavares.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Sure is a long thread about one of the dudes that are least likely to be traded.

Tavares
Marner
Matthews

That is probably how my list of least likely to be traded would start.

Reactions: geo25 and slozo

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Yup, practically impossible to trade with that. We would definitely take a loss, so we will be sticking with Matthews and Marner for the next little while.

It has to be at least 99.9% sure that Matthews will be getting a raise, so do you see Nylander lowering his demand and resigning?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
At this point it doesn’t matter.
You won’t get what you want for them in a trade.
In for a penny, in for a pound. If they aren’t the right mix of playoff core players, you wait until they decline and move on like all before them.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Your whiney, teenager-like speculation can be condensed into 3 or 4 lines.

You spend so much time on here yet can't grasp a NMC.
There have been many players with NMC who have agreed to trades. I seem to recall Filppula, Rick Nash, Subban and Phaneuf when he went to LA I believe...and there are others. If players are being constantly being attacked by the media & fan base for underperforming why would they want to stay? Or if there is a $$ incentive to move they may consider it....
No need for the condesending attitude...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
At this point it doesn’t matter.
You won’t get what you want for them in a trade.
In for a penny, in for a pound. If they aren’t the right mix of playoff core players, you wait until they decline and move on like all before them.
If the GM decides they aren't the right mix, it would make sense to move on from the sooner as opposed to later.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I really wish the Leafs could trade this guy and re-balance the roster.

Set an example regarding salary expectations.

The problem with Marner isn't one of skill. The problem with Marner is one of attitude. He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

It's called silver spoonism.

Marner thinks he's soooo much better at hockey than everybody else. So he should get paid more than everybody else. Well I'm sorry, I hate to burst Mitch Marner's bubble, but that's just not true.

If Marner thinks he's the best winger in the league then he's staggering drunk down delusional avenue.

Marner may not believe this but he can be replaced. He's not that guy, worth that money, at that time. The Leafs should seriously consider trading him.

Eleven million dollar waste.

But thanks for the regular season stats I guess.
Your take on da kid is just wrong .. da kid is a fun loving kid who loves hockey .. he is always pretty happy and smiling.. do i like all these kids playing all night video games -- no but it is da new world .. he actually doesn't have a bad attitude at all .. his approach is very positive .. his real issue is has been da same since he was 6 years old and it hasn't changed since i coached him .. and he knows it very very very well himself .. his dad doesn't and unfortunately nothing ever changed for him .. and now it is too late to change .. so it is best to move on from him and get back assets which will help team improve its playoff performances .. there are tons of teams which would love his regular season points when game is played at slower pace so they can make da playoffs

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Your take on da kid is just wrong .. da kid is a fun loving kid who loves hockey .. he is always pretty happy and smiling.. do i like all these kids playing all night video games -- no but it is da new world .. he actually doesn't have a bad attitude at all .. his approach is very positive .. his real issue is has been da same since he was 6 years old and it hasn't changed since i coached him .. and he knows it very very very well himself .. his dad doesn't and unfortunately nothing ever changed for him .. and now it is too late to change .. so it is best to move on from him and get back assets which will help team improve its playoff performances .. there are tons of teams which would love his regular season points when game is played at slower pace so they can make da playoffs
I wonder how it is coaching kids with parents screaming at them? I for sure would not like that one bit.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
There have been many players with NMC who have agreed to trades. I seem to recall Filppula, Rick Nash, Subban and Phaneuf when he went to LA I believe...and there are others. If players are being constantly being attacked by the media & fan base for underperforming why would they want to stay? Or if there is a $$ incentive to move they may consider it....
No need for the condesending attitude...

You keep beating the bush, you're not trading our players on NMC. Again not comparable with aging players taking one more chance to win the Cup.

Why don't you present a realistic scenario where JT or Marner playing for their hometown, maximizing their endorsement, earnings and Cup winning potential would agree to wave.

You expect any of them to admit they would be better of traded?

Don't repeat foolish mantra in every post: "NMC doesn't mean they can't be traded."

Make a case for it instead. They would be losing money, pride and Cup winning chances. What exactly is the upside for Marner or JT in waving?

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
You keep beating the bush, you're not trading our players on NMC. Again not comparable with aging players taking one more chance to win the Cup.

Why don't you present a realistic scenario where JT or Marner playing for their hometown, maximizing their endorsement, earnings and Cup winning potential would agree to wave.

Don't repeat foolish mantra in every post: "NMC doesn't mean they can't be traded."

Make a case for it instead. They would be losing money, pride and Cup winning chances. What exactly is the upside for Marner or JT in waving?
The upside is using their caphit to provide a more balanced and 'different' core. Years of failure is sufficient proof....why does everyone continue to expect different results from this core? It boggles my mind.

Reactions: Arzak and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Tavares is not really an issue at this point they can wait him out and let him retire.

The NMC is a means to protect the player from being dealt to a place they don’t want to live and play, or being put on waivers and sent to the minors.

In a scenario where Marner decided he didn’t want to re-sign then the Leafs would decide if they wanted to play out his contract or negotiate a trade with Marner.

You want to avoid what happened to the Islanders with Tavares. Although they were able to get rid of him, they should have received some assets in return.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The upside is using their caphit to provide a more balanced and 'different' core. Years of failure is sufficient proof....why does everyone continue to expect different results from this core? It boggles my mind.
My guess is that they want to give Tre one shot with this core. He still has the option to move Willie though, which I think he will eventually be forced to.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tavares is not really an issue at this point they can wait him out and let him retire.

The NMC is a means to protect the player from being dealt to a place they don’t want to live and play, or being put on waivers and sent to the minors.

In a scenario where Marner decided he didn’t want to re-sign then the Leafs would decide if they wanted to play out his contract or negotiate a trade with Marner.

You want to avoid what happened to the Islanders with Tavares. Although they were able to get rid of him, they should have received some assets in return.
Hard to imagine any scenario where he doesn’t want to re-sign.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My guess is that they want to give Tre one shot with this core. He still has the option to move Willie though, which I think he will eventually be forced to.
May as well, I mean they gave Dubas one more shot after losing to MTL so fair is fair. ;)

Hard to imagine any scenario where he doesn’t want to re-sign.
If we give him anything and everything he asks for, then sure. However, if his posse insists on 13 million a year for 5 years (as an example) and our new GM is unwilling to bend over for him, that's one scenario where we might not want to re-sign.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
May as well, I mean they gave Dubas one more shot after losing to MTL so fair is fair. ;)

If we give him anything and everything he asks for, then sure. However, if his posse insists on 13 million a year for 5 years (as an example) and our new GM is unwilling to bend over for him, that's one scenario where we might not want to re-sign.
This scenario would force the Leafs to make the decision to part ways and try to negotiate a trade.
If Marner is uncooperative then it becomes a mess and a distraction.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I wanted a fresh set of eyes after another failed playoffs but if this core just does not have what it takes which is my guess, Jesus Christ probably can't get them over the hump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad