Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wonder how it is coaching kids with parents screaming at them? I for sure would not like that one bit.
You need a thick skin so nothing bothers you except looking after best interests of team .. but when you have a kid on team too it it very tricky as everyone thinks there kid is going to da show at that level .. what is more annoying is 1 hour calls from guys like Paul at night who all think they can coach better especially when you got a family and trying to run a business .. but i loved coaching and will likely do it again in a few years after i retire when i don't have a kid on team

Reactions: andora and ZEBROA

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This scenario would force the Leafs to make the decision to part ways and try to negotiate a trade.
If Marner is uncooperative then it becomes a mess and a distraction.
It would indeed be a mess. That's the scenario where the team would go public and badger Marner into accepting a trade. More likely though is that we bend over (as usual). Talk Marner down from 13 to 12.8 over or whatever and sell it as a win for the organization LOL.

I wanted a fresh set of eyes after another failed playoffs but if this core just does not have what it takes which is my guess, Jesus Christ probably can't get them over the hump.
It's hard to believe in them any more, that's for sure. But so many people still think we can win with this core, it's strange. They hope Matthews is "willing" to stay, that Marner won't ask for the stars, just the moon and so on. At every TDL most people want to go allin because we "have to "give them the best chance to win", or "what kind of a message does it send if we don't" and "that's what contenders do" and now everyone's calling Dubas an idiot because the "cupboards are bare".

I still say that while Dubas made mistakes, he made a lot of good moves too and in the end, his biggest mistake was thinking this core could get it done. But isn't that what 99% of the fans thought (that this was a core worth betting on, most talent we've had in 50+ years etc.), I know I sure did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arzak and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It would indeed be a mess. That's the scenario where the team would go public and badger Marner into accepting a trade. More likely though is that we bend over (as usual). Talk Marner down from 13 to 12.8 over or whatever and sell it as a win for the organization LOL.

It's hard to believe in them any more, that's for sure. But so many people still think we can win with this core, it's strange. They hope Matthews is "willing" to stay, that Marner won't ask for the stars, just the moon and so on. At every TDL most people want to go allin because we "have to "give them the best chance to win", or "what kind of a message does it send if we don't" and "that's what contenders do" and now everyone's calling Dubas an idiot because the "cupboards are bare".

I still say that while Dubas made mistakes, he made a lot of good moves too and in the end, his biggest mistake was thinking this core could get it done. But isn't that what 99% of the fans thought (that this was a core worth betting on, most talent we've had in 50+ years etc.), I know I sure did.
I would hope it wouldn't come to name calling and that both parties would act like professionals

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You need a thick skin so nothing bothers you except looking after best interests of team .. but when you have a kid on team too it it very tricky as everyone thinks there kid is going to da show at that level .. what is more annoying is 1 hour calls from guys like Paul at night who all think they can coach better especially when you got a family and trying to run a business .. but i loved coaching and will likely do it again in a few years after i retire when i don't have a kid on team
A thick skin and steel-toed boots behind the bench! I loved coaching kids.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This scenario would force the Leafs to make the decision to part ways and try to negotiate a trade.

As it stands MLSE are going to need a guardian angel GM to do something silly which rights the ship. That or someone incredibly incompetent as a trade partner.

All avenues lead to a cap crunch. Tending and D budget constraints and potential pennies on the dollar trades for assets that need moved to help us out. That or total loss of assets for nothing while having zero negotiation leverage and dealing on good faith with players that seem to want to get paid.

IMHO we are screwed

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
As it stands MLSE are going to need a guardian angel GM to do something silly which rights the ship. That or someone incredibly incompetent as a trade partner.

All avenues lead to a cap crunch. Tending and D budget constraints and potential pennies on the dollar trades for assets that need moved to help us out. That or total loss of assets for nothing while having zero negotiation leverage and dealing on good faith with players that seem to want to get paid.

IMHO opinion we are screwed
They should never be in cap hell again.

They should have lots of money when Brodie, Klingberg, Gio, and then Tavares‘ contracts expire. Potentially Nylander.

The problem is the minor league cupboards are extremely bare and the draft pics are scarce.

Its important to get Matthews and Marner signed long term.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They should never be in cap hell again.

They should have lots of money when Brodie, Klingberg, Gio, and then Tavares‘ contracts expire. Potentially Nylander.

The problem is the minor league cupboards are extremely bare and the draft pics are scarce.

Its important to get Matthews and Marner signed long term.

Basically I see it this way.

Matthews and Marner at what rates? 14m and 13m? Too much to compete right there.

Nylander at 10m? No can do with the above. So a Nylander trade? (You could do that and get very little return)

Yes you are again right but so am I. What assets replace those overall losses value wise? Nothing remarkable in the cupboards so again, Guardian Angel or some GM to do something dumb.

Lastly even with all the above and what you say, the only saving grace will be McDavid coming here on his own free will. A miracle is needed because the competition is signing people cheaper, have deeper cupboards and as good or better movable assets.

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
Why would you trade away a player that has the calibre of marner. Sure trade him to a team that has a good coach anything better than what Toronto has and he will help that team to make a good run for the cup he is great and with a good coach he could become better

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He’ll be UFA by then and it won’t matter

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
They got these noise cancelling headphones nowdays. Maby worth a try.

My little brother when he was a kid was on a team that sadly disolved . He was great on C but the only one good at D so they had him stuck there. It was parents coching and he was from another town so favorism big time towards some kids.
We never complained nor did he (he liked to "hit" almost as much as scoring goals). Had High hockey IQ but a little slow on the skates. We had parents being thrown out from games , and these were 6-7year old kids. Playing on a no name team in Sweden. I dont think any of those kids became hockey players.
What i know is that my brother continued to train different sports until this day,,and started a company at young age . I think he has alot to thank that time in hockey for. It was the start.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Which three should we get?

Marner has the most term. He had the most value and we missed the boat now because the NMC. We will simply have an entertaining regular season team that may or may not win a round depending on who we face.

They cant afford good depth and dont have a top 5 tender that we drafted. Reason i say one we drafted is because teams that win the cup do so 90% of the time with a tender they developed. The D is just ok still.

Downgraded myself from super fan to casual fan going forward. Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Basically I see it this way.

Matthews and Marner at what rates? 14m and 13m? Too much to compete right there.

Nylander at 10m? No can do with the above. So a Nylander trade? (You could do that and get very little return)

Yes you are again right but so am I. What assets replace those overall losses value wise? Nothing remarkable in the cupboards so again, Guardian Angel or some GM to do something dumb.

Lastly even with all the above and what you say, the only saving grace will be McDavid coming here on his own free will. A miracle is needed because the competition is signing people cheaper, have deeper cupboards and as good or better movable assets.
If they haveMatthews Marner and maybe nylander they don’t need mcdavid.
thats the mistake they made with tavares, although on lesser scale.

They were put in a bad spot, they have a lot of needs so they should get to work, starting today.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
which teams are guaranteed to win a round no matter who they face in your opinion?
No team is guaranteed anything, and it’s far too early to predict, but there are not many teams in East where I would consider it an upset if they beat the Leafs.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

You can tell me it's a small sample size but I saw the most scared hockey player in the history of this great league and it was just too much for me. We are paying 11M for the privilege, I'm sorry but when it counts he makes the whole team worse by a lot.

It's tough to win the Cup, you'll miss many chances on your way to glory, but there has to be a limit.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can tell me it's a small sample size but I saw the most scared hockey player in the history of this great league and it was just too much for me. We are paying 11M for the privilege, I'm sorry but when it counts he makes the whole team worse by a lot.

It's tough to win the Cup, you'll miss many chances on your way to glory, but there has to be a limit.
Yeah Marner in game 3 against Florida was just so bad and the "it was just one game" excuse the Pauls are making doesn't cut it.

There's no excuse for a veteran player playing like a scared teenage rookie in a playoff game ever. And when you're supposedly a superstar, a team leader and you do it in the most important game of the year, you can't expect people to have faith in you any more, you just can't.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
No team is guaranteed anything, and it’s far too early to predict, but there are not many teams in East where I would consider it an upset if they beat the Leafs.
like among teams you expect to make the playoffs? I think the east will have at least 7 pretty to really good teams: Carolina, New Jersey, Tampa, Florida, NYR, Boston (still), Toronto. I think any team outside these would be considered heavy underdogs in a first round series. But as you say, who knows.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
like among teams you expect to make the playoffs? I think the east will have at least 7 pretty to really good teams: Carolina, New Jersey, Tampa, Florida, NYR, Boston (still), Toronto. I think any team outside these would be considered heavy underdogs in a first round series. But as you say, who knows.
Those and you could add Buffalo, Ottawa and Pittsburg and it wouldnt be too big of an upset, IMO.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

IMHO we are screwed
There's literally no realistic way to both build a team with Cup winning depth AND give the core the money they are demanding. It's one or the other.

Toronto will of course probably do the cowardly, marketable and politically correct choice and maintain the status quo as much as possible.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Except I don’t thinks it’s the decision of the GM. It’s Shanahan. The band plays on.
No GM would make that decision on his own. That would be an organizational decision in any city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad